Cultural Liberté or Contrasts ?

A look at French society thru the eyes of others.

Here are two subjects that are in the news and newspapers in other countries

concerning the French social & cultural traditions or point of views.

Is this a question of " Cultural Liberté or Contrasts " ? :o

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/12/fre...test_dress.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/2...plans-burka-ban

Hi Guy! Happy New Year!

Once the French government has resolved the liberal migratory policy and thus has created precedent.

The european society has faced that this new citizens not absolutely wish to observe the general values, in this case main problem (my opinion).

I think that should pass many years when newcomers immigrants will be ready to assimilate.

We shall be reconciled with this still very long time....

That's where the shoe pinches! :o

Interesting question, on first pass I'd say the two articles address separate issues. How France deals with its minors of european descent and how it assimilates Islam. Of the two, I would estimate that contending with rebellious teens will be the easier task. IMHO, as a parent of 4 children, establishing boundries is important.

On the one hand, firm boundaries for teens :angry: On the other, this school looks a bit screwy. Saying that revealing clothes encourages paedophiles? :cigar:

Re the burka, it is just the shock of the unfamiliar that prompts these reactions. We see is a bit here in Aus too. Surely no-one needs another law stopping someone from dressing a certain way when really it has no effect on them anyway...

I think the decision a woman makes to wear a burka is pretty gutsy. They are well aware that they are running against the mainstream culture and that they stand out. It would be tough as I am sure the desire to fit in and be accepted is quite a universal part of being human.

We've seen it before. First, the burka's are OK. Next, they are required, 'only' in muslim neighborhoods. Next, 'religious police' in those neighborhoods. Next to follow - non-muslims are threatened and chased away.

If you're not prepared to defend your freedoms, be prepared to surrender them. And yes, it goes both ways, IMHO.

And yes, I have personal experience with this.