Different shades of color between boxes

LeafLover

Got a newbie issue for you guys:

I have bought two different boxes of Monte 2 within 2 weeks from each other from same retailer claiming authenticity (before I discovered czar ;)) and noticed that the second box of monte 2 is a few shades of brown lighter than the first box. The first box smokes fine while the second box has the flavors of the first but not as profound as the cigars in the first box taking a back seat to what I can only describe as "greeness."

Cigars in box 1 is uniform in color with each other and cigars in box 2 is uniform in color with each other. Both bands are identical between boxes. The placement of the bands in relation to where it is placed on the cigar is uniform within box 1 and uniform within box 2 but in comparison between the two boxes, they are not. Boxes are dated april and may 2009 respectively. In actuality, box 1 actually came in a dress box quantity of 10 and box 2 is not actually a box but in 5 boxes of 3 montes in them packaged in one larger box with seals on top of each individual 3 pack and over larger box that holds all of them. This second box is May of 2009. Here are my questions:

1. Can the shades of brown of the cigars vary from box to box of Monte 2's. One box darker while other is lighter?

2. Will the color get darker over time in the humidor?

3. Will the "greeness" dissipate and allow the flavors to come out over time?

So, I know that there will be a reply to my post along the lines of to just order from czar and do away with all the suspicions. I have ordered from czar twice now and agree with this.

Color variation between different boxes is quite normal. Where I tend to get concerned is when you have color variation within the same box.

One suggestion... remove the reference to the other site. It's against the forum rules to post names and URLs of other online retailers.

It is not uncommon at all for the same vitola cigar from the same marca, with the same box code to differ in color from each other. When packaging, the sort by color for each box. That is why the color between boxes vary, but the color within a box remains pretty much the same. It is really nothing to worry about. Some people do have a preference in terms of color. With most vendors you get what you get, but if you order from Czar you can have Rob, Lise, or Smithy check the wrapper colors for you to provide you with something closer to what you want in terms of the wrapper shade, construction, aroma, etc.

I have not known of any instances in my personal experience of cigar wrappers getting darker on a finished cigar. Maybe someone with more experience out there can check me on this, but I don't believe that happens at this point. The color is the color...that is pretty much it. Also just becasue a wrapper is not dark, or is more claro in color does not mean it will not smoke well or taste good. Examples of cigars I have personally sampled with unattractive wrappers would be the Punch Punch and SLR Regios. While not visually appealing. Both were great smokes.

With a good box of cigars, the greenness should disappate with age as the cigar ages. Oils will be secreted by the leaves over time and will blend with each other providing a much different flavor profile. This is especially true with recent production cigars. Generally speaking...the younger the cigar, the more it benefits from age. How much age remains up for debate. There are those who prefer younger cigars, and those that like cigars with multiple years of age on them. It is all up to your palate and personal preference. One is not necessarily better than the other. However, age does mellow a cigar.

Finally, it is important to let cigars that were recently shipped to you to rest for 30 day and allow them to acclimate themselves to your humidor after the shock of being transported. IMHO, these 30 days are very important and make a big difference in how the cigar tastes.

Good luck...

I have bought two different boxes of Monte 2 within 2 weeks from each other from same retailer claiming authenticity (puroexpress.com before I discovered czar ;)) and noticed that the second box of monte 2 is a few shades of brown lighter than the first box. The first box smokes fine while the second box has the flavors of the first but not as profound as the cigars in the first box taking a back seat to what I can only describe as "greeness."

Cigars in box 1 is uniform in color with each other and cigars in box 2 is uniform in color with each other. Both bands are identical between boxes. The placement of the bands in relation to where it is placed on the cigar is uniform within box 1 and uniform within box 2 but in comparison between the two boxes, they are not. Boxes are dated april and may 2009 respectively. In actuality, box 1 actually came in a dress box quantity of 10 and box 2 is not actually a box but in 5 boxes of 3 montes in them packaged in one larger box with seals on top of each individual 3 pack and over larger box that holds all of them. This second box is May of 2009. Here are my questions:

1. Can the shades of brown of the cigars vary from box to box of Monte 2's. One box darker while other is lighter?

So, I know that there will be a reply to my post along the lines of to just order from czar and do away with all the suspicions. I have ordered from czar twice now and agree with this.

Color variation between different boxes is quite normal. Where I tend to get concerned is when you have color variation within the same box.

One suggestion... remove the reference to the other site. It's against the forum rules to post names and URLs of other online retailers.

will do. thanks.

I have bought two different boxes of Monte 2 within 2 weeks from each other from same retailer claiming authenticity (puroexpress.com before I discovered czar :D) and noticed that the second box of monte 2 is a few shades of brown lighter than the first box. The first box smokes fine while the second box has the flavors of the first but not as profound as the cigars in the first box taking a back seat to what I can only describe as "greeness."

LeafLover...FYI link to a great read on wrapper color and flavor conducted by our very own RA! Great read....

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...apping+wrappers