to Cellophane or not to Cellophane?

desiknow

Cuban cigars are NOT wrapped in cellophane. And if you have non-cuban cigar wrapped in it, just leave it there... Why go through all the work to take them out? Its a waste of time and the cello will turn yellowish-brown with tobacco oil over time and this is a good sign age on them.

Some cubans DO come in cello, but its of no value to take them out that I can see.

The ones in the cello dont get a whole lot better than they are and it keeps them from damage.

oh, and if you keep the glass top box out of the sunlight the cello doesnt get yellow as fast... ;)

Samb, you might want to do some homework before posting misinformation.

I have approximately 10 boxes of Cuban cigars that are wrapped in Celophane. As they continue to age, they do tend to yellow from the oils in the cigar. If a cigar has celophane, I would leave it on the cigar. It will help prevent the foot from becoming damaged while loose in your humidor as well as assist in preventing rh spikes.

Samb, you might want to do some homework before posting misinformation.

I know this, I learned the hard from a previous thread about some nice celloed Cohiba Lanceros, but do you think that a person who asks this question really knows this fact? When I was more of a noob than I still am, I didnt know they used to come celloed. I think Ive become jaded to the monotony of the "cello or no" question because Ive seen it so many times on another forum, a forum that might possibly bring out the worst in people.

i wouldn't worry about it samb - there are plenty of folks behind you that will have different (or 'correct') information.

It would hard to find a topic on this or any board that doesnt have misinformation in it.

Luckily here, we have plenty of brothers to let let us know how wrong we were! ;)

I too have heard many versions of the cuban/cello issue.

We are all here to live and learn. And I've learn a lot here.

Well, gotta run - the RH in my humi dropped down to 74% and i gotta fix that before my smokes are ruined!

The first three years that I smoked cigars, I always removed the cello wrappers, but I no longer remove them. I like the fact that the cello wrapper protects the cigar wrapper from damage during the aging process, especially if you like to take them out and handle/admire them.

• 6 months later...

It's funny how this is really a simple question but we get total opposite answers on it all the time. I have only been having cigars for about a year now so I am a total newb, I used to keep all the cellophane on my sticks in the Humidor.

I then recently found a video on youtube from someone who is well known in the US market and said that it doesn't make any sense that you would keep the cellophane on, it doesn't have holes, it doesn't breathe, etc. He said he always removed the wrappers when he gets his cigars in the box. He's been in the business for over 50 years or something like that so I trusted his words.

I do see the point of not wanting to damage your cigar's foot, wrapper, etc. Funny how it's different depending on who you ask. Now for CC I see how it's simple if they don't have cellophane!