Time or timing?

It's rare that I get to taste the same cigar from different batches so close together, but lately I've gotten to do just that with some Partagas Petit Coronas Especiales... one box LSO MAY 08, and the other TEB SEP 08. Now, mind you, these are not high-end cigars. But, they are solid affordable everyday smokes that are quite enjoyable to me... not complex, but very flavorful, with evolution that is simply intensifying of common flavors as it burns down... something I attribute to the process of smoking the cigar more than any complexity in the mix. Still, it's a cigar that does not let you forget it's (edit) Cuban beginnings. The Partagas family profile is there, as is a bit of the ol' Cuban "twang".

Here's the thing, though. The MAY 08's are noticeably smoother than the SEP 08's. I know it would be natural to assume the extra 4-months of aging is responsible. However, the earlier batch also has lighter wrappers, say silky colorado claro to the later batch's toothier colorado or maybe colorado maduro... and the difference in color is great enough to clearly punctuate differing tobaccos utilized in production runs.

So is it time or timing? Is it the extra 4-months of aging, or is it luck of the draw to get one box from a better batch and another just average?

Opinions? Wild guesses?

It's unlikely that four months aging alone would make the difference. I've had young cigars that taste "smoother" than cigars that are a few years older. IMO, it is more likely that the difference is in the tobaccos that were available at the time the cigars were rolled.

FWIW, those '08 PCE's are in fact very flavorful inexpensive smokes.

cigar that does not let you forget it's ISOM beginnings...

ISOM? Information Systems and Operantions Management? International School of Ministry? (supposedly in San Bernardino CA) Maybe, Irish School of Occupational Medicine?

Here at FOH, the term ISOM is not used nor cared for as we have many friends that are Cuban and we respect their culture, country and people. We smoke Cuban cigars, we talk about Cuban cigars, we interact with Cuban people. We understand that other forums use this term, yet out of respect, we ask that you refrain from it here at FOH.

With the Partagas PCE, I have also found that it depends on the wrapper as to the strength. When I have found a rougher, more toothy wrapper, I have found that the PCE was stronger and had more bite. With a smooth wrapper, say silky and thinner, the cigar has been creamier and smooth yet with either type of wrapper, the typical Cuban nature is ready defined. I find that it depends on my mood or the kind of day that I am having as to which I would choose from the humidor. I enjoy both personally.

Tampa

Here at FOH, the term ISOM is not used nor cared for as we have many friends that are Cuban and we respect their culture, country and people. We smoke Cuban cigars, we talk about Cuban cigars, we interact with Cuban people. We understand that other forums use this term, yet out of respect, we ask that you refrain from it here at FOH.

Thank you for letting me know; and my apologies if the term is found distasteful here on FoH. I will not use it here in the future. For the record, though, no disrespect is intended to be implied in its use. At least not by me. In my eyes, it developed simply as a code-word here in a country that represses our access to the fine products of Cuba.