not killing babies

i read a post about a week back where someone stated that they smoked a cigar they received before the minimum 30 day in-humidor waiting period, and another replied that it was like "killing babies." right now, i've got a bunch of sticks just sitting around, waiting for this period to expire, and i'm trying to find a reason to smoke them.

so here's my noob question: if the cigars were manufactured in, let's say 2007 or 2008, and they've since stayed in well kept humidors until they were shipped out, wouldn't that be sufficient time for them to "age," so that i'm not murdering babies by smoking these delicious little guys? or is the transit period (let's say 1-2 weeks) long enough where they need to be re-aged? because i've got NCs (which took about 3 days in transit) and CCs (which took about 1 1/2 weeks in transit) lying around, and they're just begging me to let 'em blaze.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with aging or "re-aging".

I may not have this exactly right but my take on the 30-day rule is that during transit your cigars can be subjected to extremes in both temperature and humidity. Moisture in the cigars becomes unevenly distributed -- moist in some parts, dry in others. And, I'm guessing here, essential oils in the tobacco can dry out. In short, the cigars go through shock.

Letting the cigars sit in a controlled, constant environment allows moisture (and oils?) to become evenly distributed. Stablized. Recovered from the shock. The longer the transit period, the longer the recovery period should be and, consequently, the better your smoking experience. Of course, sometimes you just can't wait and have to try one as soon as you open the package. I guess that's OK, too, as long as you understand the possible down-side.

Others here (Van?) may have more to say on this.

I dont think its about re-aging, but more of just recovering from the ride over. On my first purchase, I just had to snuff a baby and Ill say that now after the 30 days, it smokes WAY better in every way.

i read a post about a week back where someone stated that they smoked a cigar they received before the minimum 30 day in-humidor waiting period, and another replied that it was like "killing babies." right now, i've got a bunch of sticks just sitting around, waiting for this period to expire, and i'm trying to find a reason to smoke them.

so here's my noob question: if the cigars were manufactured in, let's say 2007 or 2008, and they've since stayed in well kept humidors until they were shipped out, wouldn't that be sufficient time for them to "age," so that i'm not murdering babies by smoking these delicious little guys? or is the transit period (let's say 1-2 weeks) long enough where they need to be re-aged? because i've got NCs (which took about 3 days in transit) and CCs (which took about 1 1/2 weeks in transit) lying around, and they're just begging me to let 'em blaze.

Patients grasshopper.

As mentioned before, the 30 days is not for aging, it is just to let the cigars settle and recover from an hardships related to temperature or humidity during their trip to your humidor. Also in many instances retailers may over humidify their cigars knowing that they are going to be shipped. The 30 days allows the cigars to settle down and accilmate themselves to the settings of you humidor, which I assume is set to the level that you like to have your cigars at. The payoff for your patience should be a better burning and tastinig cigar. If you need something to tide you over...visit your local B&M, if one is available. If not...go ahead and burn one, with the knowledge of what may be to come. And definitley purchase smokes at intervals that allow you to have something stocked up while you wait in the future.

Sometimes we can get really anal about things. Lots of people smoke their cigars as soon as they get them. It is up to you.

It is definitely better to let things equalize for a month or so, but if it's all you have, go ahead and smoke them as long as they feel and appear to be in good condition. As for buying something in a B&M to tie you over, well, most B&M's over humidify anyway, so you're in the same boat. Just realize that burn problems or harshness may exist and if they do it might be because of the condition of the cigar.

The trick is to keep more cigars than you'll ever smoke! Build up a really good stash, then start to buy 2 boxes for every 1 that you smoke. After a while you'll never run out and when you have nothing else to do you can take pictures of them. :buddies:

Being a relative noob, myself, the waiting time can be very nerve-racking. After reading and watching the reviews, I want mine now!! I kept thinking that it can't make that much difference or, that, I am new enough that I won't notice a difference. Trust everyone's advice. You won't be dissapointed! In my lack of patience, over-humidification has turned an enjoyable experience into a frustrating one.

What I tend to do is to order at least 5 - 10 cigars of a given vitola. If my curiosity gets the best of me, I will go ahead an torch 1 early (like 5 days after arrival, :buddies: ). However, I don't make any notes or make any judgements at this point. By ordering multiples, you will soon find that your collection is growing and the waiting period on future orders in not that big of a deal. Hang in there, it gets better!

good advice, all. i'll do my best to keep myself reined in, but there may be a stick or two gone by the time the 30 days roll around.

by the by, does anyone else have a problem with cigar wrappers splitting a little bit after receiving them and being in your humidor for a few days, especially the foot? some do, and some don't. but i notice what looks like stretching around the wrapper. This happens most notably to the cigars on the top rack, right below the humidifcation beads. The beads are rated 70%RH, which I've heard is too much, so I'm switching over to 65%.

It is possible that your cigars may be arriving on the dry side and you are humidifiing them too quickly. It could also be from the foot rubbing against the cedar in the humidor. The foot needs to be handled carefully. 70% Rh while not excessive is a bit high for Cuban cigars. Usually they are recommended to be 65%Rh, or right around there, but ultimately it is a matter of personal preference. Going to 65 can't hurt.

It is possible that your cigars may be arriving on the dry side and you are humidifiing them too quickly. It could also be from the foot rubbing against the cedar in the humidor. The foot needs to be handled carefully. 70% Rh while not excessive is a bit high for Cuban cigars. Usually they are recommended to be 65%Rh, or right around there, but ultimately it is a matter of personal preference. Going to 65 can't hurt.

Agree compleatly! Just my 5 cents. Build your own stash in humi and smoke elder than younger one. And keep humidity control not less 65%.