Penfolds

samb

I picked up a bottle of Penfold's Koonunga Hill. This will be my first experience with an Aussie wine. Anyone try it and have any thoughts about it? Having learned what I just learned, I will drink it quick, lol. :D

It's something I bought several times a week when I used to live in Oz. Same as Magste, I'd usually reach first for the RR, and if they didn't have that, I'd take the Koonunga Hill.

Generally I find Aussie red wine to be extremely full in flavour. A real explosion on the taste buds compared to other countries' wines. Especially the Cab Savs and Shirazs - full of fruitty pepper. Kinds like a Partagas I suppose, lol.

I picked up a bottle of Penfold's Koonunga Hill. This will be my first experience with an Aussie wine. Anyone try it and have any thoughts about it? Having learned what I just learned, I will drink it quick, lol. :lol:

i'll be very surprised if the rawson's retreat label is not discontinued soon, if it hasn't been already.

koonunga hill always well made and good value, especially as mentioned, the shiraz cab.

the original was the 1976, an absolute stunner that is still terrific today. not that it is easy to get info on these things but there is a strong belief that penfolds wanted a wine at that price point at the time and came up with the concept before they had the grapes lined up (and this was back in the days we were in the midst of a white wine boom - 100 year shiraz in coonawarra was gratfed across to gewurz and so on). so they took bits of grange, 389 and all sorts of things and blended them to make the first koonunga hill. and serendipity ruled as it was one of our great vintages. the 76 grange is one of the most famous (i can remember buying it in the 80's for about $15!!!).

on the other hand, there are a growing number who feel that while wines like koonunga hill have helped make the aussie wine ndustry what it is, they are now killing it. we can't compete at this level for a number of reasons and it has convinced the world that this is what we do best - not the many fantastic small production, regional, single vineyard wines.

but no argument with what is in the bottle.

Im no wine spectator, lol, but I really like this wine. I think its (in my own words) one of the "grapeyist" wines Ive ever had. No cigar with it, maybe another day, but I did have some grilled cheeseburgers and they go nice together.

yes. extremely good. the great grandfather even better tho more exy.

I need to search some out. Here in Pennsylvania, the state government sells all wine & spirits. If it's not on their list, you can't get it. Next time in NYC, I'll be looking for it.

I need to search some out. Here in Pennsylvania, the state government sells all wine & spirits. If it's not on their list, you can't get it. Next time in NYC, I'll be looking for it.

Bassman, head down 95 to Total Wine just across the line in DE,

you can call ahead and they will be happy to get it for you if they dont have it on the shelf.

They have ordered rum for me that they did not carry. And you wont beat the prices.

if you have trouble, i can ask the guys here to let me know where it is stocked your way.

Picked up a bottle at a local - "grapiest" it is - my first thoughts were "jammy". Now I find it's lacking structure somewhat - not flabby,

but to my palate, rather overextracted - to the point of being sweet. We'll see how the next glass fleshes out.... hiccup.....

Picked up a bottle at a local - "grapiest" it is - my first thoughts were "jammy". Now I find it's lacking structure somewhat - not flabby,

but to my palate, rather overextracted - to the point of being sweet. We'll see how the next glass fleshes out.... hiccup.....

colt, which vintage? and was it the shiraz cabernet or one of the others?

this thread is killing me - we have peter gago (chief penfolds winemaker and the man responsible for grange etc) in town tonight for a big grange dinner. i've got to hold off as on a no-alcohol few days as have the blood tests for a check up. cruel.

colt, which vintage? and was it the shiraz cabernet or one of the others?

this thread is killing me - we have peter gago (chief penfolds winemaker and the man responsible for grange etc) in town tonight for a big grange dinner. i've got to hold off as on a no-alcohol few days as have the blood tests for a check up. cruel.

KG, 2007 shiraz cab. Still opening up some - I'll let you know when I get to the bottom of the bottle (I never leave any to go bad).

Anyway, I've heard there is to be a vertical grange tasting at the dinner - too bad you'll be restricted to cranberry juice!

I guess when one one reaches an advanced age, one must adhere to the doctor's wishes.

Please turn in your cutlass and pistols at the door........

KG, 2007 shiraz cab. Still opening up some - I'll let you know when I get to the bottom of the bottle (I never leave any to go bad).

Anyway, I've heard there is to be a vertical grange tasting at the dinner - too bad you'll be restricted to cranberry juice!

I guess when one one reaches an advanced age, one must adhere to the doctor's wishes.

Please turn in your cutlass and pistols at the door........

ahh, cruel world!

Are you questioning my storage practices and abilities?!?

(supercilious.......)

abilities, not in the least - never occurred to me to think about them. practices? not in the least - okay, that is a lie, but there was no info provided re date of purchase - if recent, do you know provenance etc etc.

and for all i know, you keep them upright in a box in the back of the yard in the sun, next to the boiler.