Anyone else like REAL football?

I've played all 4 - American Football, Canadian Football, Australian Rules and Rugby Union.

From a players perspective:

CFL is better than NFL because there's a bit more fluidity so the advertisers can't dominate as much. Who wants to play a game which stops every 2 seconds for 1-2mn. It's unnatural. There are too many players so you'll never get to know the 200 blokes on your team. The only one really enjoying himself is the quarterback. The tactical side of it is the interesting bit with the huge set plays. So better as a PC game? haha

AFL is a great simple free-running sport which doesn't stop - great for summer except in north australia ;-) But 18 players on field is a bit too many for team spirit and the field is too big - if you're playing at full back and there's a bit of fog or smoke around you can't see what's happening upfront you're 180m away. Midfielder is good fun but it often comes down to fitness not creativity. TV screen not big enough for it, and there's not a huge amount of variation in the plays <-> beauty of simplicity.

Rugby is in-between - not as free running as AFL but a lot freer/more continuous than NFL/CFL. Complicated rules means lots of variation in the plays but also tricky refereeing. The physical contact is more intense than all the others by far. Most positions have a unique role with at most one other player doing the same thing on your team which is interesting and makes it a tactically intricate game with small guys coming up against big guys in general play. Mix of set plays and continuous play. 15 guys getting towards a small enough group and you can see them as no helmets ;-) This is my favourite for winter sport. For the intellectual who enjoys mixing it up with hard labour :D

Variety is the spice of life... and rugby the game they play in heaven.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great response, frenchkiwi - I will admit my only exposure to Aussie Rules was actually a half-time exhibition game at a CFL game I attended in Hamilton...it seemed kinda confusing to me, to be honest! Fast-moving though.

I agree that the NFL game is deathly plodding and slow - I can't stand the amount of down time these sports have. People complain about the fact that baseball is too slow and takes 3 hours to complete a game - but they love NFL football, where there's a commercial break after every first down, and you're there for at least 3.5 hours watching 2 yd run play after 3 yrd short pass! Give me the faster CFL - where 3 downs means you better damn well throw it and throw it far, or you're not getting anywhere.

Hey Canucks6024 - Care to make a friendly cigar wager on the Lions/Ti-Cats game? I'll put a SLR DC on Hamilton taking that game.......

Riderpride - you got it man, the Bombers were dumb from the start to think that Michael Bishop would lead them to a playoff berth. The guy has a cannon but he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

BigfunkyG - Thanks for the Hamilton props man! It's been a rough go for the last.....near-decade. I certainly do hope they beat BC - and just so you know - if Hamilton's not in it, I usually go with the team from the city of my birth....Winnipeg!

Your on Chance, I have a 2001 Partagas Churchill I can put up.

Phil

Great response, frenchkiwi - I will admit my only exposure to Aussie Rules was actually a half-time exhibition game at a CFL game I attended in Hamilton...it seemed kinda confusing to me, to be honest! Fast-moving though.

I agree that the NFL game is deathly plodding and slow - I can't stand the amount of down time these sports have. People complain about the fact that baseball is too slow and takes 3 hours to complete a game - but they love NFL football, where there's a commercial break after every first down, and you're there for at least 3.5 hours watching 2 yd run play after 3 yrd short pass! Give me the faster CFL - where 3 downs means you better damn well throw it and throw it far, or you're not getting anywhere.

Hey Canucks6024 - Care to make a friendly cigar wager on the Lions/Ti-Cats game? I'll put a SLR DC on Hamilton taking that game.......

Riderpride - you got it man, the Bombers were dumb from the start to think that Michael Bishop would lead them to a playoff berth. The guy has a cannon but he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

BigfunkyG - Thanks for the Hamilton props man! It's been a rough go for the last.....near-decade. I certainly do hope they beat BC - and just so you know - if Hamilton's not in it, I usually go with the team from the city of my birth....Winnipeg!

No problem. But lets not loose sight of the most important thing here. The Argos suck worse that anything one else by a mile. That makes me happy.

Here are my picks for the playoffs:

Semi's Weekend

Edmonton Beats Calgary in a close but high scoring affair

Hamilton beats a QB-less BC Loins

Finals Weekend

Montreal crushes Hamilton (sorry Chance)

Saskatchewan washes out Edmonton (that place is going to be insane)

Grey Cup

Montreal beats Saskatchewan, retrubution for Calvilo and Co, tough nuts for the Riders (seriously, did you think you could win 2 Grey Cups in three years? Seriously?

Looking forward to this weekends games with a Bolivar RC this weekend.

I have posted before that I am a big NFL fan. I played football as a kid through high school and would have loved to play college ball if I were good enough, but I wasn't. However, in college I did pick up a new sport which I had never played before, and that sport was Rugby. I played for three years and loved it. I loved the beer drinking after the games even more. We all like different sports for our own reasons; however, these two sports are different, and the athletes that play them are different. However, about football being slow...yes there are many breaks in the game, whether it be for commercial of for downs, or for penalties...but during each play football players go all out. In rugby...while the game goes continuously for longer stretches of time...there are moments where certain players are not active, or the pace is greatly reduced as people move into position and get set up - basically players are not going all out during every minute of play.

Semi's Weekend

Edmonton Beats Calgary in a close but high scoring affair

Hamilton beats a QB-less BC Loins

Well, I'm man enought to admin when I'm wrong, and I was 0 - 2 here. Too bad about the Ti-Cats, would have loved to see them finish that comeback off in OT. Good on Glenn for playing a pretty good game overall.

My pics still hold true for this coming weekend. the Riders beat the Stamps, the Les Alouettes crush the Lions.

Although it would be somewhat ironic to see the Montreal get their revenge on Calgary taking a home grey cup win away from them as they did last year.

Any predictions for next week? The Riders have lost miserably to the Als both times this season, but will have homefield advantage (40% of Calgarians are Saskies). My heart says Riders, but my head says Als; flip a coin...

I think Mr. T said it best for my "Prediction" for the Grey Cup "game"

Ha ha Seriously.......I really don't think the Roughies have much of a shot, but after spending a year and a half on the good ship HMCS REGINA...I don't think I have a choice but to cheer for Saskatchewan. Go Green!

Nonetheless- 48-20 Als Win.

My pics still hold true for this coming weekend. the Riders beat the Stamps, the Les Alouettes crush the Lions.

Although it would be somewhat ironic to see the Montreal get their revenge on Calgary taking a home grey cup win away from them as they did last year.

After screwing the semi's weekend up I got the finals weekend right. Sticking to my guns, Als by a landslide. there is no stopping the French Machine this year.

Anyone going to Cowtown for the game? I haven't been to a Grey Cup since Toronto in 07.

I'll be here (natch), but didn't get tickets to the game. I didn't figure the Riders would make the dance, so I got tix to the World Juniors instead. 5 pairs of tickets for the same price as one seat to the Cup...I didn't deliberate for too long.

I think I'll check out the Riderville party though; guaranteed to be a good time.

Robbed. If they weren't so stupid to

A ) have a too many men penalty when he missed the first FG attempt, and

B ) GIVE UP A DAMN POINT ON A PUNT BY DECLINING THE PENALTY (that one really pissed me off)

The Riders might have held on. Definitely a cheap-o win.

That single point cost me $1000 bucks on a Grey Cup ticket. I would have been on a major cigar shopping spree today if it wasn't for that.

It is an unfortunate way to loose a football game. I do feel sorry for them, but my alliance to the Bombers has me a bit gleeful inside, expecially after they beat us in 07. Glad for AC though, class act that guy.

G