Can someone explain hygrometer readings?

Freddy

I'm very embarrassed to ask such an elementary question, but never having studied chemistry, physics and other sciences, I'm confused by the readings of my hygrometer.

The reading is 68Rh, 21c. I understand that 68Rh stands for Relative humidity (even though I'm not exactly sure what "relative" really means in this context).

However my question is really about the "21 c". Could someone please explain to me, in non-scientific terms what this second number (in this case 21 c) stands for?

I apologize for what must seem like a very stupid question :rolleyes:

it's 21 degrees Celsius so it's around 69.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks, GeRem. So, if I understand correctly, the first number (Rh) indicates relative humidity, and the second ( c ) indicates temperature. And I assume that "relative" in this case refers to humidity relative to temperature.

Duh! Thanks for taking the trouble to explain something I should have known, or at least have guessed on my own :rolleyes:

Thanks, GeRem. So, if I understand correctly, the first number (Rh) indicates relative humidity...And I assume that "relative" in this case refers to humidity relative to temperature.

That's right. It means how much moisture is in the air (your RH reading), at a given temperature, relative to the maximum amount of moisture that air could possibly hold (100%). In other words, RH is a measure of saturation not absolute quantity. Keep in mind that since warmer air can hold more moisture, in an absolute sense, 70% RH at 70F means their is more moisture in the air as compared to say 70% RH at 40F. Still, relative humidity is the most appropriate humidity control variable when talking about cigar storage.

Wilkey

relative humidity % is the amount of moisture in the air. If it 100% it is usually raining. You don't want more than 70% as your cigars will start molding and you don't want the number to be to low (ie less 60%) which will dry out the cigars.