Mans view of our backyard

Hi all thought a few of you might find this interesting a new map produced by National Geographic..

post-5203-1256261044.jpg

Cheers Oz :P

I spent the last half an hour looking at that.. Unbelievable really. One cant fathom the entirety of the universe. And to think we are the only ones in existence..

Are we really the only ones......? :unsure::huh:

Every single star one sees in the night sky is a Sun and weather some of those are no longer around, we still see that star in place as the distance that light travels to earth could take thousands of years. The Sun is one of around 200 billion stars just in the Milky Way galaxy alone. :o

My understanding.... If there is a sun orbiting a planet (Provided it is at the optimal distance like Earths) and there is water, there WILL be some form of life. ;)

OZ's post is merely showing our Solar system, so far, astronomers have found about 70 solar systems and are discovering new ones every year. Given how many they have found in this neighborhood of the Milky Way galaxy, scientists estimate that there may be many billions of solar systems in our galaxy. :bulb:

I'd like to think there is more life out there, but I tend to be a I'll believe it when I see it type of guy.

I believe that there is life out there, to think not I think is supreme HUMAN arrogance

the chances of life NOT being out there is about the same as a box of perfect cubans i.e no duds ;) or getting cheaper cigars in Oz or places to smoke them :bulb::unsure:

Cheers Oz :huh:

I believe that there is life out there, to think not I think is supreme HUMAN arrogance

the chances of life NOT being out there is about the same as a box of perfect cubans i.e no duds :o or getting cheaper cigars in Oz or places to smoke them :huh::unsure:

Cheers Oz ;)

Perfectly stated my friend. :bulb:

Truly amazing! Many nights I have sat on my porch enjoying a cigar and have found myself staring into the sky wondering, what else is out there, where does it go, how far does it go? I for one, am also a firm beleiver that there has to be other life forms somewhere out there in the big, dark nowhere. Again I say...Truly Amazing! :unsure:

I love this type of stuff, thanks for posting.

As far as other life forms go - without even a shadow of a doubt. Whether you are religious or not the enormity of the universe makes it almost a logical impossibility for us to be the only ones.

(EDIT: all in my humble opinion, of course :bulb:)

I love that feeling you get sometimes when you look at the stars and just get overwhelmed with the magnitude of space. And here were are on our little planet scurrying around for a few years, smoking bits of dried leaf. Makes you laugh eh.

Somebody cryo-freeze me, I want to travel space :unsure:

Maybe there needs to be a delinitation between life forms and intelligent life forms. That said...would humans qualify as the former or the latter?