Tubos packaging

I've noticed that of the cigars I've had that have been tubed, some have been fine to smoke straight out of the tube and others have been not so good. Say I've bought 3 or 4 single tubos of the same cigar, I normally keep a couple in their packaging and a couple I put in my humidor. Then a month or so later I'll try and see the difference. Sometimes there is no difference (Mag 46, Monty Petit Edmundo, Boli PC) and then others have been average out of the tube and better in the humidor (Boli royal corona, monty 4 tubed version, RyJ no 2)...

What's the explanation for this? I'm thinking maybe something to do with the seal on the tubes although sometimes they have been nice and tight and still smoked poorly. Any thoughts would be great. Cheers :lol:

Dicko

I'm not sure if the tubos have anything to do with your experience. You might have to just chalk it up to the relative consistent inconsistency of Habanos. It really has to do with the time interval. My understanding is that tubos really only affect the aging process, and to notice that difference would take a significant amount of time in the humi. But I'm no expert...

Do you mean that the cigars in the tubes you keep outside of your humidor? Or that you keep them in the tube but place tube and all in your humidor?

My understanding is that even cigars in tubes should be kept in a humidor so as to be in the most stable environment possible.

My own personal experience with tubed cigars is that they seem to take longer to acclimatize to humidor conditions versus their naked brethren.

More specifically, in the past when I've smoked newly arrived tubed cigars, they were on the moist side, and did not smoke or taste as might be

expected.

I don't know how this might relate to your experience, but it's a thought. I do like tubes - almost like their own little sub humidor / micro climate.

I never understood the attraction of tubos- other than they look nice. I've never smoked a tubo cigar that was better than the non tubed version, and several that were worse.

I've found newly arrived tubos to be too moist as well. When I get a new box, pack, single or whatever of tubos I generally remove the caps and store them in the box etc in the humidor so that they are somewhat exposed to the humidor conditions, but still protected by the main part of the tube.

I think I remember reading something about tubos being excessively moist because they are packed in the excessive humidity at the factory and don't adjust quickly enough to the humidor storage conditions.

They do have to be stored in the humidor, the tube is really just a colourful protector for, at most, a weekend trip. IMHO No matter how tight the tube seal seems, it ain't air tight and there is no humidity regulation in the tube.

My own personal experience with tubed cigars is that they seem to take longer to acclimatize to humidor conditions versus their naked brethren.

More specifically, in the past when I've smoked newly arrived tubed cigars, they were on the moist side, and did not smoke or taste as might be

expected.

I don't know how this might relate to your experience, but it's a thought. I do like tubes - almost like their own little sub humidor / micro climate.

I agree 100% with this statement. Colt is dead on once again

Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems it's a matter of using the humidor even if I keep them in the tube, and then being patient in letting them acclimatise.

The attractiveness of a tubos for me is (exactly as the Kat said) being able to carry conveniently in a pocket. Also, the protective qualities of it. For example if I am gifting to a friend at a shindig, not having to worry about them or myself damaging it over the night.

:lol:

Tubos are nice for presents or carrying.

I don't prefer box pressed either.

But at a buck and a half to two bucks extra for the tube I pass mostly.

I'll smoke a box-pressed from time to time... But yeah, "buck and a half to two bucks extra..." I dont have that extra money, lol. :D

I'm with Colt. I like Tubos for several reasons...the primary one being that the cigars aren't box pressed. It gives you a cigar in the round without having to purchase a cabinet. Let's face it...many of us are real estate constrained when it comes to cigar storage - though not all having seen some of the humidor cabinets many of you have. The other being to protect the cigar fr a night or weekend out The downside I have noticed is that I often get uglier looking cigars in tubes, but at least they aren't box pressed.

I like tubos but if I can buy the same stick untubed for a couple bucks less a stick I'll go with the untubed every time. Habanos are expensive enough without paying for the fancy packaging that can't be smoke anyway.