Draw

I'm curious to understand what the proper draw for a CC should be (in regards to best overall smoking experience), simply because I have to rely on reading and trial/error while burning through my stash. Sometimes I dry box, sometimes I don't.

If 0 = Wind Tunnel and 10 = plugged dog rocket, what is the ideal draw rating and where do most of your CCs rate in the humidor? How do they change when dryboxed for a day? Two days?

I would say most of my CC stash is a 7 in a 67% humidor. When dryboxed, it loosens a bit to a 6.

NC's in the same % are about a 3-4. Forget about dryboxing.

I think that a lot of people's rating would vary according to preference, which may relate to how they smoke. I know that a looser draw, but I have friends who prefer ones that are tighter. Its really all subjective.

I started smoking non cubans and until I began to really experience the best of what Cuba has to offer I associated a wide open draw as a good draw. At this point I understand that a wide open draw robs what could be a great blend of flavor and causes the cigar to burn hotter that it should. A perfect draw for me is one that requires a bit of resistance while still offering generous smoke volume.

Depends on the flavor/body of cigar. But I do find that NC's are generally more open, and thus generally burn hotter and thus thus are easily made bitter. I think Nicaraguans would benefit from tighter draw a lot of times.

For a milder smoke, I like an open draw, 3-4. For a complex/full flavored smoke, anywhere from 6-8 works best to get the complexity without burning out the palate.

Nothing is worse than a mild cigar with a tight draw, you get nothing out of it.

Nothing is worse than a mild cigar with a tight draw, you get nothing out of it.

Last night I had a strongish cigar that was a wind tunnel...this may have been worse!

Last night I had a strongish cigar that was a wind tunnel...this may have been worse!

Yea, its by no means awesome, but at least you can usually lighten your draws, smoke it slowly. I hate having a mild cigar with tight draw and having to suck on on it like mad to get at most a slight bit of anything.

Some of the best cigars that I have ever smoked have had stiff draws. I would have to say that both extremes are indication of poorly constructed cigars but an easy draw is more directly linked to poor taste as far as I am concerned. I would concur that abundant smoke is to my liking. I must also say however that the draw is of little importance to me... if the cigar tastes good. Yes I would prefer not to think about how a cigar draws or fight a cigar too much to smoke it. Overall I prefer a stiff draw and would likely put myself in the 7-8 range as a preference based on performance.

As it is I cannot separate draw and performance based on my experience and my answer is reflective of that correlation. -Piggy