Desktop humi project - how not to do it...

bunburyist

So, I thought I'd post up some pics of a little side project I've been doing when I get home from work.

I have an old desktop which could take maybe 50 smokes or so, which had a nice bubinga veneer. Sadly, I'd left it in the sun when summer and the edges had faded. You can't really see, but it looked a bit odd and so I decided to revamp it.

sIMG_0733.jpg

sIMG_0735.jpg

Took it apart then sanded it down with 3 different grades of sandpaper till it was nice n smooth, then gave it a coat of blue paint, followed by some stripes:

sIMG_0798.jpg

sIMG_0799.jpg

Guess you can see where I was going with this... :clap:

sIMG_0804.jpg

sIMG_0806.jpg

Yup, bit cliché but I thought it would look ok on my office desk as I'm getting a bit cluttered in my apartment.

Note: I have minimal skills when it comes to this sort of thing, so was pretty happy with the result. I bothered to buy proper painters tape for this and you can see how sharp the lines come up if you take your time and do it properly. The star in particular was quite difficult to do.

sIMG_0809.jpg

sIMG_0813.jpg

Like it? I'm pretty happy with it all in all, just needs a few coats of varnish and another sand and polish and job's a good 'un. Obviously the dimensions for the flag aren't right to fit on the box, I'm planning to have the stripes go down one side of the bottom section and the red the other, but the angles and ratios are all accurate to within a mm or so, just used this for reference.

until..........anyone guess what I did wrong.....? :)

Possibly, when you attach the lid, the flag will be backwards? But that wouldn't be such a big problem I suppose...

Got it in one! You know those moments when you suddenly realise what a muppet you are...I had one last night. It will indeed be backwards...and it's one of those things that will be bug me every time I look at it, but right now I'm not sure I can be arsed to sand it down and start again..the hinges are on one side so I can't just flip it round...

:)

Got it in one! You know those moments when you suddenly realise what a muppet you are...I had one last night. It will indeed be backwards...and it's one of those things that will be bug me every time I look at it, but right now I'm not sure I can be arsed to sand it down and start again..the hinges are on one side so I can't just flip it round...

:)

It would also annoy me every time I'd look at it. But if you look at the lid from behind when the humidor is open, then it will appear the correct way around. So you'll be able to impress your guests when you are opening the box to share a cigar... Otherwise, when it's closed, just keep the hinges facing towards you. Looks bloody good! Don't spoil it further! :clap:

It would also annoy me every time I'd look at it. But if you look at the lid from behind when the humidor is open, then it will appear the correct way around. So you'll be able to impress your guests when you are opening the box to share a cigar... Otherwise, when it's closed, just keep the hinges facing towards you. Looks bloody good! Don't spoil it further! :clap:

:) cheers mate, maybe I'll try that...although most of my fellow smokies are the types who tend to help themselves.....

I think it is a fine piece of work. I am totally unskilled when it comes to this stuff. Kanga is right though. I would not redo it, just turn it around to face away from your desk and let others enjoy the flag, or spin it around when not in use. Not to hard to do as it is only a 50-ct., right?

Good job mate!

I remember when I was engraving a plaque I'd made from stainless steel... Probably about 12 hours work.... and I ended up spelling it wrong.

So, I did what you just did and decided to start again from scratch......and guess what.... I stuffed it up the second time as well :D

Good job mate!

I remember when I was engraving a plaque I'd made from stainless steel... Probably about 12 hours work.... and I ended up spelling it wrong.

So, I did what you just did and decided to start again from scratch......and guess what.... I stuffed it up the second time as well :lol:

:D

Mate, can you tell us what the word was which you spelt wrong? ))

:D

Mate, can you tell us what the word was which you spelt wrong? ))

I cant recall exactly... but it was a front panel for a piece of electronic equipment in a lab. The word was an identifier for something I had no idea about - something like "JQ24A".

The first time I buggered it it was because I was complacent.

The second time was because I was rushing to make up for lost time...

It was PERFECTLY wrong both times.

:lol:

No surprises there - are you related to SmokinAl?

I was going to ask actually, if there are any pros out there do they often make this kind of mistake. I guess not..which is how they make money doing it :P This is going to end up being about a 6 week project... :cigar: