Your thoughts on the Monte Opens?

There is more to this story.

Piggy, my comment is in regards to the cigar on it's own - with no consideration given to what this cigar may (or may not) represent otherwise.

We can (and have) certainly discuss what this line might mean, and where it may fit in when the next history of the Cuban cigar is written.

1) Is it being produced at the expense of other cigars?

2) Does it defile the Montecristo name?

3) Is it an affront to smokers of the Havana cigar?

4) Why?

And so on. I'll give some brief answers to my own questions.

1) I don't know - this might bother me most.

2) To be honest, I don't really believe this. In my opinion, the history of this and the other marques are just that - history. Nationalization

saw to that. We can have satellite discussions on that - another post / thread.

3) Not to this one - see #2. Also, as much as I enjoy them, I could easily live without them.

Smoke what you like - anyone who tells you otherwise can piss off.

4) Not a floggin' clue.

Another aspect of KB's post - he mentioned his palate. Initially, I shrugged this off - I figured if you like them, you like them. But it got me

thinking...... And I went back to wine.

Apart from beer, as a kid I drank my share of almaden mountain nectar rosé (we started young in the city). I moved up to red wine - no idea as to the

hows and whys as yet. A moment of clarity when invited to dinner at a friend's. I bring a bottle of supermarket crap, another friend brings something

much better - I was astounded by the difference, and instantly embarrassed by my contribution. And so it goes.

So perhaps Patrick is correct - maybe it does take some time and "training" to be able to appreciate the differences. Or perhaps I'm simply

being long winded.......

Piggy, my comment is in regards to the cigar on it's own - with no consideration given to what this cigar may (or may not) represent otherwise.

We can (and have) certainly discuss what this line might mean, and where it may fit in when the next history of the Cuban cigar is written.

1) Is it being produced at the expense of other cigars?

2) Does it defile the Montecristo name?

3) Is it an affront to smokers of the Havana cigar?

4) Why?

And so on. I'll give some brief answers to my own questions.

1) I don't know - this might bother me most.

2) To be honest, I don't really believe this. In my opinion, the history of this and the other marques are just that - history. Nationalization

saw to that. We can have satellite discussions on that - another post / thread.

3) Not to this one - see #2. Also, as much as I enjoy them, I could easily live without them.

Smoke what you like - anyone who tells you otherwise can piss off.

4) Not a floggin' clue.

Another aspect of KB's post - he mentioned his palate. Initially, I shrugged this off - I figured if you like them, you like them. But it got me

thinking...... And I went back to wine.

Apart from beer, as a kid I drank my share of almaden mountain nectar rosé (we started young in the city). I moved up to red wine - no idea as to the

hows and whys as yet. A moment of clarity when invited to dinner at a friend's. I bring a bottle of supermarket crap, another friend brings something

much better - I was astounded by the difference, and instantly embarrassed by my contribution. And so it goes.

So perhaps Patrick is correct - maybe it does take some time and "training" to be able to appreciate the differences. Or perhaps I'm simply

being long winded.......

Long winded no! I always appreciate what you have to say... especially since most of the time I agree wholeheartedly with you (funny how that works).

My intents was to deliberately link two or more events because to put it bluntly to H SA; I don't live in a Petri dish! Creating new products, raising prices on products and canceling products that have historically sold is endemic of mismanagement in my eyes. Denying your own space in destiny to share that space with sub-par products manufactured outside of Cuba is a huge mistake. I don't fault them for trying new things... I fault them for failing at it!

There is a reason that Cuban cigars are known as the best in the world. Denying your winning heritage is downright stupid. It is not the Chisel that made them the best. It is not the egg or the 60 ring behemoth... it is the taste! Getting the taste in many forms is part of the allure. Want to bring in 60 ring behemoths that taste good, so be it. Just don't fail at it, overprice it and cancel a good cigar to create another shitty one!

If the Monte Open were really great cigars I would not deny them. If they were overpriced I might reject them but as a matter of honor I would not deny them. Spending the money on new products just to emulate lesser products... plain, effin' stupid! - :yes:

If the Monte Open were really great cigars I would not deny them. If they were overpriced I might reject them but as a matter of honor I would not deny them. Spending the money on new products just to emulate lesser products... plain, effin' stupid! - :yes:

Piggy, no doubt - and I'm surely not trying to defend them. And as much as I trust and value the opinions of the members here, I am going to

try a few myself. We shall see.....

Piggy, no doubt - and I'm surely not trying to defend them. And as much as I trust and value the opinions of the members here, I am going to

try a few myself. We shall see.....

Ahhh Ross... you are a better man than me! -LOL

I know many of you have purchased a box or two so I am wondering your thoughts on the Monte Opens. Have our reviews been a little harsh?

What has been your tasting experience?

I will never buy one of these tasteless, wind tunnel cigars. I would rather smoke no cigar at all than smoke shite cigars.

I put my tasting notes of the Monte Junior on the Irish forum http://cigars.ie/

I have to agree to some of the others here who believe this brand is a waste of resources, a waste of time and an affront to the history of the brand.

I've only smoked one, the Regata. It was fine, pleasant even.

Good draw, nice feel, plenty of smoke, a hint of chocolate and didn't get harsh. However, it didn't stand out (other than the band which is quite nice) and I don't really get the point. There was nothing particularly memorable about it.

I have a storage space issue and it certainly wasn't good enough to make me want to buy a box.

When compared to other new releases of the last 5 years such as the Serie P no. 2 or the Mag 50, for example, I would have to ask why bother with these?

Andy, you have a 'storage space issue' because you have a decades worths of cigars! And more power to you!

See you next week for a smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

Smoked several Regata and Eagle, both I found a good morning or first cigar smoke.

Did not like at all teh Junior and the Master , harsh and acid taste but...ask Guy about his blind tasting at the Pharmacy :covermouth:

While I have not sampled them Rob, When you nail a review, you nail it and from around the cigar community I have yet to hear, read or even expect any good words about this failure. HSA should drop the line quickly and use the leaf toward other cigars.

AGREE 100%!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had one, an Eagle, and I was not impressed with the flavor, and I use that term

loosely. Perhaps a better name would have been Montecristo "Sand", or Libra de Pie.

Tastes like a Volado sammich. OR...Montecristo Volado. Hell yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

CB I have to say our reviews are just that "our thoughts" on a particular cigar.

Now I know a very respected cigar lover who is a good friend who said the Mont Open Junior had a very similar taste to a Cuban Davidoff. I love the guy and respect the guy but the only similarities I see is they both use the letter "O".

I still believe they are one dimensional "shite". I don't begrudge anyone else for liking them however and one day i am sure i will list them on our web site (the fact that I can't bring myself yet to doing so gives you an indication of my distaste).

For me it is not a batch thing. I have had them in Havana, Brisbane (from multiple boxes), Sydney and Hong Kong.

We should do some sampler packs for a FOH Tasting :cowpoop:

I've had the Master and the Junior. I don't normally go for small cigars but I didn't think the Junior was all that bad. Not great, but I would smoke another. The Master was a different story. Hated it. It was the most dull, boring, bland Cuban cigar that I have ever had and I am a huge robusto guy. I wanted to like it. It sure looked like a winner but it was awful. I won't be trying it again until there ate better reviews and/or a blend change.

Jaysus, I wish i had that guys taste buds, would save me a fortune!

Now I know a very respected cigar lover who is a good friend who said the Mont Open Junior had a very similar taste to a Cuban Davidoff.[/b] I