Curious About Cuba: Great Museums OF Havana

This nice hour long documentary gives an overview of some of Havana's museums, along with some very brief history.

I particularly enjoyed the segment on Hemingway. As it's available to watch legally, I'll provide a link:

Link

I also really liked this painting by Victor Manuel Garcia - "Gitana Tropical" (Tropical Gypsy)

I'm hoping to find a print on quality paper:

post-296-1248312066.jpg

We are truly living in an upside down world, Ross. :o

I have just tried to link up to your documentary and it told me

that beause I don't live in the USA I am not allowed to watch it. :lmao:

Now, If I get this straight, because I live outside of the US, I can go to Cuba

but I can't look at a documentary that passes on American TV.

You, Ross, are allowed to watch a documentary on Cuba but you can't travel to Cuba :jester:

Did I miss something or is this world really going nuts :clown2:

I'll let you guess which I prefer :P

We are truly living in an upside down world, Ross. :P

I have just tried to link up to your documentary and it told me

that beause I don't live in the USA I am not allowed to watch it. :o

Now, If I get this straight, because I live outside of the US, I can go to Cuba

but I can't look at a documentary that passes on American TV.

You, Ross, are allowed to watch a documentary on Cuba but you can't travel to Cuba :jester:

Did I miss something or is this world really going nuts :lmao:

I'll let you guess which I prefer :P

:clown2:

This nice hour long documentary gives an overview of some of Havana's museums, along with some very brief history.

I particularly enjoyed the segment on Hemingway. As it's available to watch legally, I'll provide a link:

Link

I also really liked this painting by Victor Manuel Garcia - "Gitana Tropical" (Tropical Gypsy)

I'm hoping to find a print on quality paper:

there is a thriving art scene in cuba. a lot of it is market/tourist orientated - and you can get some really colourful, fun, yerrific things - but there are some very serious artists/galleries/museums as well. i would usually strongly recommend la casona in old havana but just this morning, got an email from a friend who runs it that he is moving on to consulting. you can get some fantastic stuff if you spend some time looking around.

the main national galleries can be a little derivitive which is no surprise given cuba's circumstances, but there is also some great stuff there and i do recommend anyone visiting cuba to drop by.

the history/revolution museums etc are also worth going but really need someone to go through and get rid of 80% of the exhibits. they have taken the view that they will show absolutely every item they can find. so you get endless, and i mean endless, exhibits like, 'piece of glass believed to be from spectacles of cuban soldier fighting at the bay of pigs invasion'. then ten more pieces of glasses just like it. then 15 boots from soldiers who may have walked on the same ground as soldiers who may have fought at bay of pigs. can be a bit interminable.

We are truly living in an upside down world, Ross. :wacko:

Yes, this is totally bass ackwards :D

It would have never dawned on me that in this day and age, there'd be such an issue.

If I'd have thought anyone who wanted to watch would not be able to, I would not have

posted to begin with.

And I can't find a print of La Gitana Tropical.........

there is a thriving art scene in cuba. a lot of it is market/tourist orientated - and you can get some really colourful, fun, yerrific things - but there are some very serious artists/galleries/museums as well.

It seemed like the vid showed the major museums. I like how they've kept Hemingway's house basically as he left it.

It seemed like the vid showed the major museums. I like how they've kept Hemingway's house basically as he left it.

that is an absolute must visit.

took a bottle of champers with friends into the gardens - hundreds of mango trees he had planted. i rather like to think that it was the first bottle drunk there since papa himself.

One of kens favourite haunts is tha Malecon directly outside the National Hotel Friday/Saturday night.

I have visited Hemmingways house briefly but the crowd was too big to have good look around (3 people).

Ken at the time was chasing a backpacker from Belgium (Penny? Peggy? Bruce?) but as I remember it he has been there a couple of times more than I.