New Cuban Warranty Seals

In terms of rollouts, look back to when Cuba "refreshed" the microprinting on the seal. I received boxes of Cuaba Piramides, same month, two different factories with one set microprinted new and one old. And both sticks were undeniably real.

That being said, these are obviously different and I would expect rollout to occur at the LCDH's first and then hit the market quicker. I also received some boxes of Cohiba's from inside Cuba from another vendor, not FOH, and the internal material was way newer. So they are sometimes slow. But, I would imagine this is obvious enough that it will fly into production.

Another good innovation! Once the American market opens up we'll probably see the US distributors push similar innovations. The Cuban's still don't have cheap access to our technology.

Thanks for the info Rob. A minor point to be sure but I've always loved the look of the warranty labels and I'm just curious as to how their aesthetics will be affected once cut. Do you know if the "auto-destructive" feature will manifest itself by making the labels appear significantly "damaged" when they are cut? It would be too bad if every box opened ends up with some sort of ugly blotchy label stuck to it.

- Tim

Tim I am not sure what they mean by the "auto -destructive" feature but I have images in my head of "Maxwell Smart" and exploding mission tapes from the "Chief" :bsmeter:

I will find out.

Tim I am not sure what they mean by the "auto -destructive" feature but I have images in my head of "Maxwell Smart" and exploding mission tapes from the "Chief" :bsmeter:

I will find out.

My guess is that its something that we have in the US for various important stickers: car registration, bicycle registration etc... if you peel the sticker off in attempts to steal it, or the vehicle, the stamp leaves behind a 'void' stamp like this:

void.jpg

The only way that you'll be able to find out if yours has been doctored will be you'll have to peel back the corner of the new seal and see if:

1) There are already a layer of 'void' stamps on there... indicating that the previous seal had been removed and a new one placed

and/or

2) The seal on your box doesn't leave behind a void signature indicating that it had been taken off another box and placed on yours.

At least that's what I think they should put on there.

Self-destructing labels are labels that break apart when you try to peel them up. For example, some are printed on paper stock with an internal strength that is less than the holding power of the adhesive. When you try to peel these up, the paper splits and part stays with the adhesive and part comes off in your hands thus the complete sticker cannot be removed in one piece. Alternatively, the sticker stock can be scored or cut such that trying to remove the sticker causes them to come apart at these scoring lines. There are a few variations but these are common approaches. The score method is used quite commonly in merchandise pricing stickers.

Wilkey

Ahh, Kilroy, that's another type. The words are printed with some sort of slip coat on the film backing and when the adhesive is coated on top of that, it doesn't really stick to the sticker where the words are. Thus, when applied to a surface, the adhesive (pigmented white in your photo) comes off the sticker and stays on the item.

Wilkey

i agree with this wilkey.

i imagine it will be more along the lines of the stickers being scored or perforated in various places throughout them . when one attempts to peel the sticker it comes apart at the scored lines, making it virtualy impossible to get it all up in one shot to re-stick it elsewhere.

i have already seen this used on dominican davidoff boxes. the small "quality controlled" stickers on the bottom use this security technique.

it is an EXCELLENT security measure and i am happy to see habanos sa incorporating this on new stock from here on out.

Self-destructing labels are labels that break apart when you try to peel them up. For example, some are printed on paper stock with an internal strength that is less than the holding power of the adhesive. When you try to peel these up, the paper splits and part stays with the adhesive and part comes off in your hands thus the complete sticker cannot be removed in one piece. Alternatively, the sticker stock can be scored or cut such that trying to remove the sticker causes them to come apart at these scoring lines. There are a few variations but these are common approaches. The score method is used quite commonly in merchandise pricing stickers.

Wilkey

Tim I am not sure what they mean by the "auto -destructive" feature but I have images in my head of "Maxwell Smart" and exploding mission tapes from the "Chief" ;)

I will find out.

I'd pay a premium if the seals did that! :mob:

- Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on how the barcode is utilized, the stolen label issue could become moot. At least for those who understand what to look for.

If those barcodes go into a verifiable database when boxes leave the HSA warehouse, then stolen warranty seals would not be entered. This means, stolen lables applied to boxes after the fact could not be verified in the system.

If the database is open to everyone, you could potentially ask the seller to provide you with a barcode number before purchase.

I sure hope HSA makes that database available to everyone who buys.

There are other elements I like. Perhaps for the first time we have a Warranty Sticker which will be nigh "impossible" to fake. As I understand it (and to be confirmed) the stickers will be placed at the HSA warehouse and under tight security. This should reduce the risk of authentic Warranty Stickers "leaking" to the market.

Depending on how the barcode is utilized, the stolen label issue could become moot. At least for those who understand what to look for.

If those barcodes go into a verifiable database when boxes leave the HSA warehouse, then stolen warranty seals would not be entered. This means, stolen lables applied to boxes after the fact could not be verified in the system.

If the database is open to everyone, you could potentially ask the seller to provide you with a barcode number before purchase.

I sure hope HSA makes that database available to everyone who buys.

Yea but "...open to everyone..." Not a chance. . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've found a web site that allows you to enter your bar code numbers and it will than tell you if they are fake or not.

I have a box that I entered the code and it replied they are fake. The box comes from a hightly respected vendor so I

question the bar code information. Would like someone else to try their code and see what It tells you. Thanks in advance.