Time works wonders

There is no rule without an exception, there is no rose without a thorn

post-3407-1237224557.jpg

Question to the connoisseurs. What is it? Is it first Cohiba's release? Why in cello? This photo was posted in one russian-speaking cigar community like a proposal to potential buyers. They are looks like not old cigars and part of box with steel hinge is real?! What can you say about?

I am no expert on true vintage cigars. Like many I refer to MRN's book for some reference and pictures of cigars that I have never seen, nor will likely ever see. I have laid eyes on a few aged cigars in cello and can say only this. If those are 40 YO Cohibas, this pigs got wings! Of course these could have been aged in Sputnik; I have never seen a 'space-aged' cigar -LOL! Good luck in you searching. -Piggy

Dont know if real but the cello is browned you can see it if you look at the very top.Also Cubans did come in cello not just machine mades also the higher quality ones.

Cant wait to hear from the more seasoned veterans on older CC chime in as it will be a new learning experience to me.

The first Cohiba design was released in 1969. Created by Daniel Garcia Rojas under the

supervision of Celia Sanchez Manduley, Fidel's highly praised girlfriend who fought with Fidel

in the Sierra Maestra, she is the one who came out with the name COHIBA and the Idea of El Laguito.

At the time, the first version did not last long because CUBATOBACO found the design had

too much of a colonial background and was abandoned. Total, 3 designs before finally the

one we all know from the early 80's.

Now about the photo up above, These cigars are extremly rare, IF NOT FAKES.

That's why It would be very inportant to see,

1° What is the vitola name ? ( There is a reason)

2° A better view of the whole WOODEN BOX ? (There is a real reason)

3° A good look at the inside vista, and all the markings. ETC.

As for the cello, all of the early Cohibas were in cello until around the early 90's.

This could be interesting to follow up. :D

Hi Dmitrii,

Was there any reference to which Cohiba they were?

Only 3 cohibas were available in 1969. All were available in boit nature boxes of 25 with the cigars in cello, however 2 of the 3 had pigtails.

Thx all for your answers! I asked the owner of this cigars to show another pics and to answer on upper questions.

to Jimmy2: Yeah! 3 and 4 one from the left have a pig tail! :P

to Trevor: I specifically looked at all earlier info about this cigar on the CubanCigarWebsite before postin' this topic. LOL)) :D

At first glance, it looks interesting but there are some unanswerable questions regarding the picture you posted.

If possible, please provide pictures of:

1) top view of box.

2) inside view of box lid.

3) side view of box (w/writing).

4) bottom view of box.

5) all cigars inside plus a close-up of band.

6) paper cover, if any.

Provenance? Intention etc?

Both Eduardo Rivera and Min Ron Nee are currently in Hong Kong, it would be easy enough to get a 2nd opinion.

Unfortunately this cigars are already sold also the new owner to me is not known... Some details: this box has been presented by Fidel to one Soviet official goverment staff. In box only 23 cigars. Two cigars have been smoked by this "tovarisch" (the official reference to someone in USSR)together with Fidel on a formal reception in Havana in the autumn of 1969. His relative has decided to sell these collection cigars later. The box of these cigars has been sold for €5000 (~$7800)

Unfortunately new pictures and other details are not present. It is all that I managed to learn. I am really upset... :lol:

Unfortunately this cigars are already sold also the new owner to me is not known... Some details: this box has been presented by Fidel to one Soviet official goverment staff. In box only 23 cigars. Two cigars have been smoked by this "tovarisch" (the official reference to someone in USSR)together with Fidel on a formal reception in Havana in the autumn of 1969. His relative has decided to sell these collection cigars later. The box of these cigars has been sold for €5000 (~$7800)

Unfortunately new pictures and other details are not present. It is all that I managed to learn. I am really upset... :lost:

Do not need to be upset :lost: ...your last information together with a few unanswerable questions from your 1st picture probably meant you have saved 5000 Euros !!!

LOL :lol:;)

• 1 year later...
I love these type of posts......sort of CSI "Cigar Investigation Unit" :rolleyes:

Or maybe sort of "Cohiba Search International" ........... :lol:

Old thread - new findings :

post-4742-1282230509.jpg

post-4742-1282230494.jpg

Nino

Hi Nino,

Cool finding, and this is really interesting,

I have a good friend in Geneva and in his collection is a full box of "original" Cohiba (Lanceros), and this box can 100% traced, because the box comes with a picture where he is given the box in cuba. I am not 100% sure who is on the picture... it could be Fidel Castro himself, but i dont remember. I will see if I can take some pictures of the box and post, I am not 100% sure if he will allow me.

One thing, on http://www.flyingcigar.de there is more images, one of the whole box, and it has no markings, and I think that the box i know of also is blank on the outside....

I hope that i can post some images, at least I will have a look at the box and say if this one look the same.

so to be continued

cheers

Hi Nino,

Cool finding, and this is really interesting,

I have a good friend in Geneva and in his collection is a full box of "original" Cohiba (Lanceros), and this box can 100% traced, because the box comes with a picture where he is given the box in cuba. I am not 100% sure who is on the picture... it could be Fidel Castro himself, but i dont remember. I will see if I can take some pictures of the box and post, I am not 100% sure if he will allow me.

One thing, on http://www.flyingcigar.de there is more images, one of the whole box, and it has no markings, and I think that the box i know of also is blank on the outside....

I hope that i can post some images, at least I will have a look at the box and say if this one look the same.

so to be continued

cheers

sandholm...

You are referring Nino back to his own website...