Smokeasys.com

kilroy

Dear Cigar Lovers,

I've been developing a website over the past couple of months in my spare time that maps out user inputted cigar friendly sites around the US (just the US for now). The site uses the google map platform to display sites by search.

http://www.smokeasys.com

Here you can search 3 ways:

1) input a zip code and mileage radius for the search from the center of that zip code.

2) Click and drag the map to where the area you wish to search is in the center of the map and hit search. No zip or mileage is needed. This works best when the map is more zoomed in.

3) Right click on the map where you wish to search and click the 'search here' option on the pop up menu that appears on the map.

Don't see a site on the map in your search area you know is there? Adding sites is as simple as signing up for a free account and entering information. Click the 'user login' drop down tab and then the 'register now' link to get started. All accounts must confirm via email. All you need to know to enter a site is the site's name, its street address and what type of establishment it is. Other details are appreciated but not necessary.

Having an account also allows you do such things as add comments about sites and report those that you find with errors in information or might not be in business anymore, etc...

Right now we're in Beta mode and so you can expect much more to come. I'd like to thank my friends Tampa and Professor Twain for helping me brainstorm up ideas for the project. Please enjoy the site and I hope that you find as useful as I'm hoping that it can be for those that, like myself, need to know more places they can go either near their home or while traveling for work, vacation etc and enjoy a fine cigar.

- Kilroy

PS - You'll see this posted on a few of the sub forums. I apologize if you've seen this more than once but I'm getting maximum exposure so more people can use the site and thus help make it better. And not everyone checks every forum.

Hello everyone,

I believe that www.smokeasys.com will be a very useful site for everyone, yet your participation will make the site better for everyone. Please take a moment and add any cigar friendly sites that you know of in and around your area so that others that may travel to your area can enjoy a cigar friendly atmosphere. You never know when you may want to use this site and the more places that are entered can be used by others.

Tampa

Kilroy gave me a sneak peek at the beta a few days ago. And I found out there were several cigar lounges/retailers just minutes away from where I'm staying. Smokeasys.com is great! Thanks Kilroy. :D

Hello all... quick Smokeasys update:

International addresses will NOW BE ACCEPTED! That's right if you're a stylish aristocrat living in the Principality of Andorra and want to enter a site... fear no more!

The catch: There ARE a couple of tiny issues with postal codes in a couple of the countries that have been tested so far. It really doesn't affect the site placement as apparently you dont really need the postal code to find an exact geo latitude or longitude.

Anyways, for those countries with postal code issues you'll start seeing the country name instead of a postal code. You'll still be able to search by postal code but at the time we're not sure how that is going to affect search results.

More to come... now enter us some sites overseas!

Kilroy

PS. A free cohiba to whomever enters the funniest comment for the Czar house within one week of someone actually putting it in the database! (I'd do it but I'm too busy keeping it afloat... perhaps I could use Ken's liver? :)

I would like to get you on our weekly cigar show sometime. We record the show on Fridays, 9pm to 11pm and you can watch us live by going to dogwatchcigarradio.com/live during that time. We use Skype for all of our interviews. it would be a great way to get your message out to more computer literate cigar enthusiasts. Let me know if you are interested and we can select a date. We would be happy to have you on as early as this Friday if you are available.

Bob McDuffee

co-host, DogWatch Cigar Radio

DogWatch Cigar radio

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the show last Friday night and it went great. Bob and Dale are two fun guys and the show is very enjoyable. They certainly enjoy FoH.

A couple of quick updates:

- The search form now searches for citys. It has an auto hint function that starts listing off what matches what you're typing.. Thats for people with bad spelling skills and limited vocabularies... (I'm not pointing fingers)

- The personal search save and share is almost in place where a user can email a search to a friend or save it to their favorite searches... or both.

On a side note, the world wide site entering capabilities are still online and we still await someone to enter any sites from our cigar smoking neighbors. Come on you lazy blokes!

Kilroy

• 2 months later...

PS. A free cohiba to whomever enters the funniest comment for the Czar house within one week of someone actually putting it in the database! (I'd do it but I'm too busy keeping it afloat... perhaps I could use Ken's liver? :ok:

Hi Kilroy didn't see Czars on the map but its on now, plus one in perth ,have not had the honor of visiting czars as of yet one day though

Cheers Oz Cuban

P.S Keep up the good work :rolleyes:

PS. A free cohiba to whomever enters the funniest comment for the Czar house within one week of someone actually putting it in the database! (I'd do it but I'm too busy keeping it afloat... perhaps I could use Ken's liver? :ok:

Hi Kilroy didn't see Czars on the map but its on now, plus one in perth ,have not had the honor of visiting czars as of yet one day though

Cheers Oz Cuban

P.S Keep up the good work :rolleyes:

I know! I put out the call for someone to put in the Czar House... but no one did it! You're the only person! Working hard on an iphone cigar app at the moment for cigar lovers. Once that gets in the app store I can focus back onto Smokeasys... and no the app isn't a Smokeasys app version... thats next! :clap:

Hi Kilroy.

It is nice to know that I was the first isn't it ironic first to put up but never actually been there :o

Really good news to hear about your iphone app I was thinking about doing a very similar thing (mad about all things Mac/Apple B) ).

A similar addiction to the one i have now :D .

Was thinking of a couple of apps but alas with my limited amount of programming time,and just a general lack of time in general i decided to shelf the program for a later time.

But since coming on board at F.O.H i find i have even less time B)

But would not trade for anthing.

I wish you all the success in the world with this project keep me up to speed if you would not mind

Cheers

Steve(aka Oz Cuban)

P.S Just out of curiosity what Cohiba was it :D

Hi Kilroy.

It is nice to know that I was the first isn't it ironic first to put up but never actually been there :wink2:

Really good news to hear about your iphone app I was thinking about doing a very similar thing (mad about all things Mac/Apple B) ).

A similar addiction to the one i have now :pooped: .

Was thinking of a couple of apps but alas with my limited amount of programming time,and just a general lack of time in general i decided to shelf the program for a later time.

But since coming on board at F.O.H i find i have even less time :lookaround:

But would not trade for anthing.

I wish you all the success in the world with this project keep me up to speed if you would not mind

Cheers

Steve(aka Oz Cuban)

P.S Just out of curiosity what Cohiba was it :lol:

Well being a broke start up the best anyone could hope for would be the last Siglo II from a cab...

• 10 months later...