RoT Aging

Having limited experience with Habanos, it would be helpfull to have the almighty experienced FOH members advise on the general Rule of Thumb for aging newer smokes before sampling. (Man, I hate lighting up before it's in prime time.)

For instance, how long would you lay down the following before cracking the box:

07 RASS

07 Siglo I

Bolivar Gold Medal

I would think that some other newer smokers may have some similiar questions about other brands/box codes regarding some of the more popular and must have smokes. Maybe someone can just post a basic list on this thread?

Now, I wish I had a mermaid photo to back up this entry, but I'm SOL on that for now ;-)

I'm by no means an expert, but I've read a few posts that recommended aging them for at least 30 days in your humidor before trying the first one. Maybe set aside a certain number of cigars from each box for aging and smoke the rest at your leisure.

» For instance, how long would you lay down the following before cracking

» the box:

Fortunately, you have selected several cigars that are often good with only a month or two "stabilization" (not aging) time. Then, they'll likely go into a "dumb" period of at least a year or more. So, try 'em, and if you like 'em, smoke 'em! If they're muted, or harsh, put 'em away for a year and try again. Or, smoke some now, and age the rest. Either way, you're good!

Welcome aboard mate.

Rest 30 days at 63-65% RH.

Order at least 3 of each in a singles package. If you do not experience what they are like fresh.....how do you know the lineal improvement or otherwise :-)

When someone says to me they only smoke Habanos with 7 years on them I respect that. I do wonder to myself however, how in Gods name can you experience the "transition?'

True appreciation of habanos (and cigars in general) is to understand their evolution from fresh to aged. Do not shirk the task ;-)

You have gotten great answers so far. I completely agree with the 30 day minimum and humidity suggestions.

I think that recent production RASS is outstanding when it is fresh, and so is the Boli Gold Medal. But I have to say that I think that smoking a young Siglo I, while an enjoyable experience, will sell the cigar short. If you can, try to get a box of those to put away for at least two years. If you are getting started you won't be able to do that with your first box.

I just got into some early 06s Siglo Is and they are just getting very good now.

Just my opinion and you will only learn what you like by experimenting.

Cant understand how one can think of the gold medals being anything remotely nice...seem to be gifted one whenever I am out with not so good friends..sure they are just trying to get rid of them..BUt everyone has a unique palate I guess.

» I think that recent production RASS is outstanding when it is fresh, and

» so is the Boli Gold Medal.

Thanks for the advice Gentlemen. I currently have the 30 day 65% rule in effect.

Next I will focus on tasting a stick "fresh." Then, if not to my liking, hopefully I can hold out for a year/six months , until I can't take it anymore (or until my supply is robust enough...whichever comes first).

A good example is the RASS I am burning right now. It was gifted to me from a member here during a trade. It is an enjoyable smoke indeed, however, I can guess by taste that this cigar is not "fresh" and may not be in it's prime either. I say this because the cigar seems like it could open up a bit more in flavor and strength. It is as if I could taste the potential. Could have something to do with the humidity coming from a 65% humidor (maybe dry box for a day first?). Either way, your input is appreciated and I find many of the reviews and info incredible informative.

Keep up the good work. :-)