» flavor

» balance

» depth of mouth feel

On a scale, with my limited experience, I prefer:

1) Flavor

2) Balance

3) A proper draw / construction

4) Depth of mouth feel

I taste beer with the same criteria, except #3 of course. That is replaced by: Meets BJCP guidelines / Proper Carbonation

Number 1 2 and 3 to me is construction, a cigar that doesn't draw or burn well -to me- it's just not worth burning a match.

After that it's flavour, complexity and not having bitter taste or aftertaste. To me most non cubans give me that bitterness, maybe it's a subjective thing :confused:

If all checks are ok on the above I could ask for balance, if it taste bad or it's badly constructed, how could I ask for balance?!

Colt,

I agree and in that order. I also think it is IMO depth of flavor that pushes a rating to 90+ when the other attibutes are present. Exactly why I really like the new release Mag 50! I just recieved my CA and had to laugh at their 89 for the new Upmann and 92's for some dry Dominicans!!!

» For me:

»

» A proper draw / construction

» flavor

» balance

» depth of mouth feel

I would also agree with these 4 in that order. I will add that I find it important for a cigar to keep me interested and shift gears- whether it be body and/or flavor.

Construction / craftsmanship - it doesn't have to be a difficult vitola but it should be lovingly made

Finesse - this could be a simple blend that is perfected or a complex blend that changes gracefully.

Aroma - so much of smoking it is smelling it

Flavor - seems if the first three have been taken care of, number four will take care of itself

» As Taino has suggested, I think to a degree they all kind of go hand in

» hand.

»

» I love complexity as well, but my thinking is that as long as a cigar

» is flavorful enough, I can still enjoy it without being bored.

Oh I agree with you. This really is true when you factor in ROI. With lower priced sticks that you like to go to. I can enjoy them while not really worrying about ageing or cost.

I would have to put construction/draw at the top, nothing can ruin a cigar faster, IMHO. Then flavor & mouth feel. If a cigar hits those three, I consider it a solid smoke. Complexity, to me, can make a good cigar great/exceptional, but not a necessity for me to enjoy the experience.

» Complexity, to me, can make a good cigar great/exceptional, but not a necessity for me to enjoy the experience.

I agree with this assesment. Construction/Draw, flavor and mouth feel provide most of my pleasure as my pallate is still learning to recognize and discriminate the complexity when it is present.

1) draw - this makes or breaks a cigar

2) burn - along with draw, poor burn qualities will ruin it for me

3) flavor - no specific flavor, just has to have one, and something enjoyable and/or interesting

4) lack of bitterness and ammonia

5) thin ring gauge - I occasionally venture up to a 48, but not often

I don't even know what "balance" and "mouth feel" really mean.

» I don't even know what "balance" and "mouth feel" really mean.

I hope I can articulate my thoughts on this -

For me, balance is how the various elements that make up a cigar's profile interact. Does one

element dominate, or are all elements integrated and in harmony.

As an example, let's say a cigar has a core flavor of leather with a fruity / floral overlay. But

it also has a very strong element of black pepper, throwing off the overall balance.

I would describe mouth feel as the sensation of weight or density on the palate. When I think of

depth, I think of a cigar cut cross-wise. Do I get the sense of weight from the core all the way out

to the edges, or do I sense weight just from a single layer.

I would say the former has good depth while the latter has little.

Others may have better ways to explain.

1. Flavor!

2. Acceptable delivery of said flavor.

A cigars appearance, general burn, etc. do not make or break a cigar for me. I have had exceptional cigars with poor burns, ugly wrappers, imperfect (but acceptable) draws. But I have had many cigars whose had everything in spades except flavor. Beautiful, drew well, lots of thick smoke coating the palate (mouth feel, for me anyway, can be a bonus, but only if its something that feels really good.) Performed perfectly but what flavor there was resembled ass.

Construction is important, but nothing comes close to flavor's weight for me.

1. Flavor.

This may be a cop out but the way I see it: all other issues only matter in relation to flavor. A bad draw can force you to overheat the tobacco, killing the flavor. The amount of smoke you get affects the flavor. But I have had hard draws with thin smoke that were still very enjoyable smokes since it worked for the strong flavor coming through.

After flavor, all flavors being equal, it goes:

2. Draw (I prefer open)

3. Burn (not having to touch up is nice, more relaxing)

4. Visual impact (sometimes a cigar, due to the wrapper and the construction, is almost too beautiful to light up. Almost.)

1. Flavor. I prefer full body, and complex.

2. Draw. Just the right amount of drag.

3. Burn. It is very enjoyable to have a cigar and not have to worry about relighting. In addition, I don't it when the burn gets hot.

4. Appearance. I like to admire the leaf, oils, and feel.

For me:

Must haves

Draw

Burn

Complex aroma

That Cuban creaminess; no bitterness or any flavour that the mind connects with chemicals

Nice to haves

Smooth sexy wrapper

Good looking band

Girl in bikini to hold the cutter and lighter:-D

» » I don't even know what "balance" and "mouth feel" really mean.

»

» I hope I can articulate my thoughts on this -

»

» For me, balance is how the various elements that make up a cigar's profile

» interact. Does one

» element dominate, or are all elements integrated and in harmony.

» As an example, let's say a cigar has a core flavor of leather with a

» fruity / floral overlay. But

» it also has a very strong element of black pepper, throwing off the

» overall balance.

»

» I would describe mouth feel as the sensation of weight or density on the

» palate. When I think of

» depth, I think of a cigar cut cross-wise. Do I get the sense of weight

» from the core all the way out

» to the edges, or do I sense weight just from a single layer.

» I would say the former has good depth while the latter has little.

»

» Others may have better ways to explain.

Makes sense. Thanks Colt!

• 2 weeks later...

As for me,

1) I don't know how many good smokes were ruined by a bad draw...............I could taste the smoke.....but the the inadequate draw ruined it......or I hade to puff until I turned blue to get a good mouthful..:-(

2) A good burn is also necessary.. I have also had a few that required eternal torching and fixups...

3) Obviously, flavor is always necessary.

Cheers,

Jay