Cigar regrets...I have a few.

Greenpimps great review of the Punch Black Prince got me thinking as to great cigar Faux Pa I have made over the years. Cigars I did not keep thinking that they would not come around or evolve into something memorable.

1. Black Prince. I should have known better. Still I was green and demanded flavour. I made the error of associating only depth, flavour and complexity (or potential for complexity) in determining what I kept.

2. La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or No 2.

I could have kept aside 100's of boxes from 1998/2002. I should have. This cigar was my nemesis until I tried 6-10 year old examples recently. Mindblowing. Prior....I thought they were crap.

3. Original Release San Cristobal La Punta.

Never had any since which were as perfect, which had such a molasses /chocolate core whith those perfect toast and honey coloured wrappers.

4. 2001 SLR Double Coronas.

Still the benchmark. Why did I sell them to Ken.

5. Cohiba Double Corona LE.

Cigar chocolate. To this day Hamlets favourite cigar of all time. I sold my allocation as quickly as I could knowing there would be plenty more. There never were.

7. Box No 1 Ramon Allones Estupendo.

I put the box aside in my section of the humidor. I mean...Box No 1 would be worth something some day :-)

I went away for a few days and Mini Smithy send it out to meet a cigar order as he would replace it with stock from a new shipment. He didn't know..

I still cry to this day :crying:

The last round of Partagas Pyramids you guys had for sell. I got a fiver a few years back and never smoked any of them. I gifted 2 away over the years and then smoked my first one a little over a month ago. I knew people spoke highly of them, if I had only known...

Only have one left. :crying:

I keep learning the lesson, it seems over and over.

Leave them to age.

I should get an embossed plaque for the front of the humi or something - like some dieters have that sign on the fridge - weigh self before opening fridge:-)

But I'll just try one more to see how they are going....:-D

I have none, Ive spent as much as I can and listened to all you old and experience habanos lovers :-D

I guess for me it would have been to push myself to seek out this great community I never knew existed years before I did. I started smoking cigars my freshman year of HS, 1997. I could have picked up some damn good cigars then- especially considering I worked practically Full time and spent my money on Opus and Padron Anny's anyway.

» I have none, Ive spent as much as I can and listened to all you old and

» experience habanos lovers :-D

»

» I guess for me it would have been to push myself to seek out this great

» community I never knew existed years before I did. I started smoking

» cigars my freshman year of HS, 1997. I could have picked up some damn

» good cigars then- especially considering I worked practically Full time

» and spent my money on Opus and Padron Anny's anyway.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

» Greenpimps great review of the Punch Black Prince got me thinking as to

» great cigar Faux Pa I have made over the years.

» I still cry to this day :crying:

my man, of your regrets I have smoked only the La Gloria Cubanas so chin up, things could always be worse, count your blessings and all that rot ;-)

I have a couple regrets.

1. Not buying 10 boxes of LFDC Coronas when they could be had for $180

2. Not picking up 97/98 big cigars (DCs, Churchills....) They have not been the same since (Except my 03 Hoyo DCs)

3. Wasting my money on a box of Monte Sublimes. :-(

My biggest regrets involve aging cigars - rather than smoking them when they were in their prime.

There is nothing worse than finding an amazing cigar... then putting the rest away for aging... then get them out years later to find they aged for the worst.

LOL!

I had about 6 boxes of the PSD4 reserveras. Gifted several boxes and sold a couple...now I have one lonely box left.

Kicking myself now :)

On a side note, when uncle passed away a few years ago my dad inherited his alcohol collection dating back to the 50s.

My dad doesn't drink, so he gave it to me. I called all the mfgs to find out what continues to age in the bottle and what bottle labels may be collectible.

In the lot were 10 bottles of port which I know nothing about. I tried to find info on it but didn't see it listed in any literature. I even sent pics to Christies and Sothebys.

After months of research, I still found nothing. So, I gave away all 10 bottles to people who I knew loved port. Turns out that it was a fairly rare Cockburn (portuguese) port that was valued at about $300-500 USD / bottle.

DocRks received one and drink it with friends. His comment was "we all agreed that it was the best port we have EVER had" - LOL!

~Mark

My junior experience in storing boxes brings me back to the year 2000-2001 only and my biggest regrets is not having the opportunity to buy

- Cohiba DC... smoke few and really enjoyed them... it's even worse... i should not have smoked it in the first place...

- Montecristo DC... same than above...

- Partagas D2... was only able to get one box :-( ... and i missed the last PCC vintage program... was too busy having fun in Cuba... and i arrived too late...

Now that my network is better i hope i won't make the same mistakes or having the same regrets in future...

» »

» - Partagas D2... was only able to get one box :-( ... and i missed the

» last PCC vintage program... was too busy having fun in Cuba... and i

» arrived too late...

»

The early bird gets the worm ;-)

frank-sinatra.jpg

Cigar regrets? I've had a few,

But then again, too few to mention.

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course -

Each careful step along the byway,

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew,

When I bit off more than I could chew,

But through it all, when there was doubt,

I ate it up and spit it out.

I faced it all and I stood tall

And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried,

I've had my fill - my share of losing.

But now, as tears subside,

I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that,

And may I say, not in a shy way -

Oh no. Oh no, not me.

I did it my way.

For what is a man? What has he got?

If not himself - Then he has naught.

To say the things he truly feels

And not the words of one who kneels.

The record shows I took the blows

And did it my way.

Yes, it was my way.

ah regrets, where do i begin, at the begining i guess,

- saw 5 jars of cuaba y2k (mill) in spain airport in late 99 for 400 aud per jar. didnt buy any because at the time i could only afford 1 and wanted teh cohiba. :-(

- purchased a box of Partagas pyramides EL and didnt like them (still to young) and gave about 15 away :-( :-( :-(

- bought 2 boxes and 5 seperate sticks of Cohiba DC on release, sold one box, Auctioned the other (at a cigar society dinner) and only have 3 singles left. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

- not buying more boxes of H.upman mag 50s 2005 EL (only one box)

- Not buying 10 boxes of Partagas SD2 (only 1 and a half boxes left) and for me these are a classic (presz to still smoke the one i sent him)

- finally being in the travel game and having traveled much of the world but never yet been to CUBA. (oh the shame) :-P

»

» 5. Cohiba Double Corona LE.

» Cigar chocolate. To this day Hamlets favourite cigar of all time. I sold

» my allocation as quickly as I could knowing there would be plenty more.

» There never were.

My only regret so far.

» Any regrets the other way around? Buying too much of what you thought is

» going to be a classic only to have them not develop?

Nope, even the crap i have from 2000, 2001 etc will turn around and improve one day. (he he) and least there is the eternal hope.

never regreted buying, only not buying enough (sad isnt it)

»

» 4. 2001 SLR Double Coronas.

» Still the benchmark. Why did I sell them to Ken.

surely you mean 'why did i sell them to ken for half price'? other than that no one else buy them and i thought they were fantastic and no one else did. the really great regret is why didn't i buy more at any price and why have i smoked pretty much the lot already!

and where was number 6?

I regret looking forward to receiving some cigars that I'd been after trying for a while, namely RyJ Corinata En Cedros and RyJ Cedros Deluxe No 2. I regret it because I lit them and they were terrible, impossible to get a good draw from.

I regret the lighting them bit because looking forward to doing it was the best part! What a let down!