Mold Mold Mold!!!

So the other day I changed the settings on my Aristocrat to a lower temp and lower humidity. Well right off the bat the humidity went up 4 or 5 points. Bla Bla Bla...I got it down with some Damp Rid but the humidity was quite high for about 8-10 days.

Today I found my Monte 4's and Cuaba Distinguidos had a little mold outbreak on the wrapper. The filler hadn't been effected. I already cleaned them off and took them out of the boxes. I think I am supposed to put the cigars in a zip lock bag and into the freezer for a certain time period and then back in the humidor for a certain time period. Can anyone here just remind me of the times. I think it was 2 weeks in the freezer and then at least 3 months in the humidor before they "might" be smokable. Thanks fellas!!!

-Patrick

Check them all and wipe them down and keep humidity (low sixties) and temp down to where it is stable. Likely just a minor non aggressive outbreak. Check every couple of days to ensure mold has not returned. It might reappear on a few cigars in a minimal manner, wipe down again. Check again a few days later.

» 1. Should I put the cigars right back into the humidor?

If just a little surface white mold, wipe down and put them back in.

» 2. Should I keep them out of the box they were in when the mold appeared?

I wouldn't worry about it (again if surface mold on cigars only). Put the box back in.

» 3. Should I keep the separated from the others in a plastic ziplock?

Same as point 2.

Remember...check regularly over the next week to 10 days.

» » 1. Should I put the cigars right back into the humidor?

» If just a little surface white mold, wipe down and put them back in.

»

» » 2. Should I keep them out of the box they were in when the mold

» appeared?

» I wouldn't worry about it (again if surface mold on cigars only). Put the

» box back in.

»

» » 3. Should I keep the separated from the others in a plastic ziplock?

» Same as point 2.

»

» Remember...check regularly over the next week to 10 days.

I would also agree with Colt that you should not be afraid to low the rh setting to the lower end of sixties.

The rH is already set to a range of 63/65 but when I decreased temp from a range of 67-69 down to 63/65 also, it increased rH up to 77 and thats when the problem happened. I now have 3lbs of DampRid and about 1lb of dried beads in there and it has stabled out at 65 deg and 66%rH:-D . I only had 1.5lbs of DampRid until last night when I added another 1.5lbs so the rH should continue to decrease as time goes on. Thanks again fellas.

-Patrick

As i mentioned before i WAS having the same problem. I RAISED the TEMP to 68, witch inturn lowered the hmidity. When you lower the temp the humidity WILL raise VERY fast. Bob stabell taught me that! Now at night i left the door cracked open, after 1 week i have corrected my issue and am now back to my 65% humididty. And i am going to keep it at 68 temp and 65% humidity.

» As i mentioned before i WAS having the same problem. I RAISED the TEMP to

» 68, witch inturn lowered the hmidity. When you lower the temp the humidity

» WILL raise VERY fast. Bob stabell taught me that! Now at night i left the

» door cracked open, after 1 week i have corrected my issue and am now back

» to my 65% humididty. And i am going to keep it at 68 temp and 65%

» humidity.

An easy way to picture this is to think of what happens outside when the temperature lowers to the dew point. It rains.

» Check them all and wipe them down and keep humidity (low sixties) and temp

» down to where it is stable. Likely just a minor non aggressive outbreak.

» Check every couple of days to ensure mold has not returned. It might

» reappear on a few cigars in a minimal manner, wipe down again. Check again

» a few days later.

I've got a question, when you want to clean your humidor in such a case, what do you do?

is it good to clean your humidor with pure alcohol (96%)?

» I've got a question, when you want to clean your humidor in such a case,

» what do you do?

» is it good to clean your humidor with pure alcohol (96%)?

You only really need to clean it when you have an outbreak of agressive mold or beetles. Pure alcohol is what I recommend. Remember also to throw away your humidifiers and purchase new ones.

...to clarify..white mold on a few cigars is not an agressive mold attack. Wipe down, put back, pick up a rod and go fishing. Check again in a few days and do the same if necessary.