Getting Sick After a Smoke

So I smoked my Opus X during the game Monday night and it lasted from the 2nd quarter through the end of the game. Burn was great and the draw was a little firm but loosened up as time went on. After I finally put down the smoke and got up to go use the bathroom I got really light headed and nauteaus. I never puked but sure probably could have if I wanted to.

Was it the power of the Opus? Any one have any thoughts or ideas as to prevent this.

-Patrick

» So I smoked my Opus X during the game Monday night and it lasted from the

» 2nd quarter through the end of the game. Burn was great and the draw was

» a little firm but loosened up as time went on. After I finally put down

» the smoke and got up to go use the bathroom I got really light headed and

» nauteaus. I never puked but sure probably could have if I wanted to.

»

» Was it the power of the Opus? Any one have any thoughts or ideas as to

» prevent this.

»

» -Patrick

Yes Patrick , don't get up.:-D

I haven't been queasy from a cigar for quite some time, but my initial thoughts would be smoking on

an empty stomach, or smoking too quickly (which doesn't seem to be the case here)

You never know, it can happen if you're over tired, been drinking alcohol, etc. If none of these

seem to be the case, you could always just borrow one of Smithy's tee shirts.

IMHO Opus are after "Thanksgiving Dinner" kind of cigars.

Unless I have a lot of competing digestive chemistry going the nicotine in the Opus kicks my butt just about every time. Love the flavors, espeicialy now that most of mine are at lease three years in the box, but the power is a bit overwhelming at times.

» Hard candy, sugar packet, something of the like help a lot if you've

» absorbed too much nicotine.

But too much sugar is bad for you .:lookaround:

What I have noticed is that often when I have a cigar alone , I will get light headed and a little queasy.

But if I'm having a cigar with the guys I tend not to have that problem.

I put this down to conversation , which slows down the smoking process.

Just an observation.

Patrick, Sorry to hear that. I know how you must have felt. It's happened to me a couple of times. Full stomach and empty stomach. Smoking fast or slow. It must be the nicotine levels. I happens near the end of the smoke and the feeling comes on pretty quick. I've actually vomited. I've been smoking for 15 years so I know now if when it's coming and I'll lay the cigar down before it gets to that point. But it hasn't happened in a long time. OpusX is about the only cigar I have to take it easy with. But lately they haven't been like the OpusX of old.

Was it a freshie? I've been put on my keister before by fresh Opus. I swear they used to cause my heart to palpitate. Now, I just make sure that I have a HUGE meal before I go near one. I'm talking the type where you can possiblity swallow another bite or sip of anything. Then, and only then, am I able to embark on the journey of smoking one. Plus, I echo the sentiment about the sugar helping when the vitamin N gets to be a bit too much.

» Hard candy, sugar packet, something of the like help a lot if you've

» absorbed too much nicotine.

I try to pair my stronger cigars (nicotine-wise) with a sweeter drink, so as to avoid the nausea from nicotine overdose. However, Tigger's words are a sure cure if gets a grip on ya. Sugar straight on the tongue is the quickest fix I've found, but YMMV.

» -Patrick

1. *****. that´s the word:-)

2. Can´t prevent that. Just try to eliminate it. Causes could be an empty stomach as stated above or puffing in excess. While the one is a generally mistake we all pass through once in a blue moon, the second is attributted to stubborn behaviour to make the cigar burn evenly when the draw is compronised. Better off, let the cigar down and try it later (no more than 30 min) I always remember the longest ash contest where participants smoke their ass off to get the longest ash out of their cigars in the PArtagás Meeting with friends.

It´s really funny to see how all of them finish dizzy and ready to puke after 5 minutes. Can´t avoid taking pictures of it. :-D

One more thing: If you are inhaling many times while puffing, well you can get sick.

3. Full flavoured smokes taste better after meals. bad choice for a moorning cigar unless you want to start the day with a jolt. But definetely not a good exmaple on when to smoke.

4 Easy. If you want to get rid of the tobacco sick, just go for a Coke. Carbonated drinks helps to reduce that burnt in your stomach and restore you body condition after a while. Don´t go for 1 Lt, you just may need a can. :-D

Joe,

Some manufacturers, like Joya de Nicaragua are notorious nicotine bombs. Fuente cigars are not as bad, but they definitely have more nicotine than Habanas. Perhaps you can help us understand why this is possible. Is a leaf stronger because it stays on the plant longer? Is it stronger because it didn't go through fermentation long enough? Or does nicotine dissipate with age?

I haven´t had the chance to try Joya de Nic. But I tried a few Fuentes across the years starting in Dec. 2002 to August 2008 when I had the last Opus X. Not the one I place my bet on but for Padrón. Either Fuente, Padrón, and other Cuban exiles (recently Pepín García) have been blazing a track for others NCC producers and manufacturers to follow regarding fermentation and curing process. The Cuban heritage is a part of their daily lives which can´t be denied. They wouldn´t do it any other way than following the Cuban tradition. I feel kind of proud as well when somebody express their likings on Non Cuban Cigars and say to myself: Look there´s a Cuban behind that brand! i.e: Tatuaje, Fuentes, Padróns ...etc. What I´m trying to say is that no matter the origins, fermentation should remain the same process, with its own pace and rest. So for the other processes as well. Nothing conspires more against quality than rushing things in tobacco growing.

Regarding nicotine levels on diferent strains. Among all the tobacco varieties known, the Cuban Black tobacco is the one with less nicotine levels which makes it a little bit healthier in comparison to others. Of note: Search the book Contrapunteo cubano del azúcar y el tabaco by Fernando Ortiz.

There´s still another subject upon consideration. The way our body absorbs nicotine from tobacco smoking. There´s plenty of books about this particular issue. Depending on which you read, you may find that for us, regular smokers, have been got used to taste the cigar

and not inhaling constantly accustom our body to certain levels and concentration. When smoking, the smoke is anywhere around you, and you are breathing, smelling, comparing with your senses to all the flavour notes that spring to your mind. One absorbs nicotine through our taste buds in the palate, tongue, mouth, nose. An osmosis process which is slow. The direct impact inhaled into your lungs is rather quick and yet another story. The process is being accelerated and therefore more noticiable.

Yet not everyone asimilates nicotine the same way. Depends on your own body features and way of life, diet, ocncentration of sugar, heart condition and others.

Joe,

I appreciate you taking the time answer my question. While I have your attention I have one more request. Do you think some day you could give us a tutorial on rolling including pictures and with advice on blending? I think I read earlier in some threads that you were a torcedor, am I correct?

» What I´m

» trying to say is that no matter the origins, fermentation should remain the

» same process, with its own pace and rest. So for the other processes as

» well.

I was thinking about this earlier today. Most everything I've read states that proper fermentation removes

impurities as well as some / a good deal / most of the nicotine. I assume that not all can be removed.

I also wondered if it's possible that some producers intentionally processed their tobacco to

leave a higher level of nicotine - to produce a "stronger" cigar.

» I also wondered if it's possible that some producers intentionally processed their tobacco to leave a higher level of nicotine - to produce a "stronger" cigar.

listen, everybody has its own book. But growers agree in one thing: Producing the best quality leaf and later improving it by air curing, Fermentation and sorting at the Centre of gathering and Improvement of tobacco located in the fields. The aim of the fermentation is to reduce acidity, ammonia and other impurities in the recently picked/aired leaf. Time and patience are key factors while adding up the neccesary moistening to trigger the process up, among other things.

Some could do so many things intentionally that I´m still surprised. From what I heard regarding experiencies of other cigars and I take this example because it was shocking for me to see how things turn out when profits are the big part of the equation. A few years ago when the Maduro cigars experience a revival, a certain brand dyed their smokes with a combination of shoeblack bitummen and darkcolours. They thought that would be a success. Ended up at the cigar dinner with everyone´s lips with a black stripe. The flavour was not quite good, so they said.

Highest level of nicotines in a cigar is daring and also makes the cigar difficult to smoke, like making tea out of ligero leaves and have it for breakfast. The impact in your throat would be anything but pleasant. If you are dying for a stronggg cigar, use a little bit more of ligero PROPERLY CURED and even so, the cigar will impact your throat that many recall the event as a nice experience but in no way wanting for more.

And for last, I wish I could be a roller. I´m just an apprentice in every single meaning of the word. Can´t refuse to that level as long as i ´m still learning and also hearing people who have dedicated their own lives to producing tobacco and they still say: You know, yesterday I learned one more thing about the tobacco plant.

I could roll my smokes...badly, but having friends...correcting me all the way and perfectioning my work...:-D

Any one have any thoughts or ideas as to

» prevent this.

»

» -Patrick

Pat

you better send the rest of your Opus' to me just to make sure there's nothing wrong with them. After careful consideration I will return the safe one's back to you. If any are left.

Your friend,

Habanos2000:-)