Is there a doctor in the house??!!

So I get a call from a buddy of mine who tells me his old man has stopped smoking and he has some smokes left that I'm more than welcome to. So I trek on over to his crib and take a peek inside the old treasure chest...the dude had a truck load of various stuff but look what I found burried way in the back.

monte4gt3.jpg

They feel kinda dry and I don't know if it's is bloom or mold that's on them :confused:

monte5hv2.jpg

Think they can be saved?

Can they be saved? Only one way to find out...

They look moldy to me. Wipe 'em off. Put 'em in the humidor at proper humidty and temperature for at least a month, then fire one up.

They don't look great, but I've seen worse looking sticks that tasted great.

Good luck!

The cigars look sort of on the rough side to me. The white spider web stuff on the foot of the cigars is mold, so like Shrink said, wipe it off.

On if they can be saved? I would slowly bring them back to normal humidity which can take 60-90 days if done slowly. I would keep them in a sealed ziplock baggie because they could have tobacco beetles and I would not want an out break among my other cigars.

While the photo of them does not suggest that they are prime condition, they could still be an enjoyable cigar after they are back to shape in proper humidity. As the box has the H&F sticker on them, we can assume that they came from the Hunters & Frankau distributor system so that provides the providence of the cigars.

Let us know in about 3 months how they taste.

Use a little white vinegar to take the mold off. It will remove the mold and will not affect the cigar.

As for the cigars, the only thing you can do is put it in the humidor to reconstitute it and see what happens. I would suggest that you isolate the cigars in a separate humi if you have one as mold spores can very easily spread to other cigars or even contaminate your humidor. If you don't have another humidor, use a Tupperware container with a credo or some beads. If you did get another humi with the cigars, be sure to wipe it down thoroughly as the mold spores have probably spread to that humidor already.

Good luck.

They likely cannot be saved. They are moldy.

DO NOT PUT THEM IN YOUR HUMIDOR. You will infect your humidor with mold and it will plague you forever.

If you want to re-humidify them, put them in a sealed Tupperware plastic container with a humidifying device. If the mold spores germinate, at least you can clean the container out with bleach to save it.

Wiping off the mold may make you feel better, but it won't save the cigars. Do yourself a favor, sacrifice a single cigar as an experiment. Pick the moldiest one, since you wouldn't want to smoke that anyway. Now peel off the wrapper and take it apart. If you cut the cigar into coins or if you open it up lengthwise and spread out the leaves, you will find that the mold isn't just on the end; it spreads deep into the cigar. No good.

On the other hand, their dry condition may have kept them from getting too moldy. And You can smoke a moldy cigar. It will just taste terrible and make you sick. I have done it before, and it hasn't killed me.

Regards,

Adrian

»

» On the other hand, their dry condition may have kept them from getting too

» moldy. And You can smoke a moldy cigar. It will just taste terrible and

» make you sick. I have done it before, and it hasn't killed me.

»

» Regards,

» Adrian

The white mold won't hurt you. It's the red and blue stuff that will make you sick. If you see any red or blue mold on your cigars, throw them away immediately.

Actually, here's a better solution - Pitch 'em and buy a new box.

What is the first two letters on the Cuban seal before the numbers.

We will find out once he posts back match the first two letters with the box date and will will know and could go from there.

Most fakes are by 2 to 3 years off when matching up first two letter on seal to box date...

URU code is from around 2002 so the Cuban seal first or the two letters should be b , c or d i would say.

» What is the first two letters on the Cuban seal before the numbers.

»

» We will find out once he posts back match the first two letters with the

» box date and will will know and could go from there.

»

» Most fakes are by 2 to 3 yearsc off when matching up first two letter on

» seal to box date...

Also the box date stamp is as far as i know 07 and 08 style with the symbol - between month and date...

But its Cuba and you never know could have been used that way to back than as i have not seen everything that comes out of there.

Hope this help..

» Looks as if they are real than..

»

» Smoke one !!!:-)

I did! I was expecting it to taste like dog **** wrapped in a leaf but it wasn't bad at all!! The draw was a little tight...I must get my hands on some fresh ones and really appreciate the experience :-D .

monte6dh0.jpg