CUABA : A brand that has never been accepted by aficionados

Chatting this morning with some friends I found out that this brand is not sold so much. Then I said let’s write few words on this brand that is been introduced in 1996.

This is been the first new brand from 1968 ( Cohiba ?) , introduced, I believe, for promoting the perfecto shape cigars that in late years was almost lost.

All the line is made, of course, with Vuelta Abajo region tobacco, and the first to come out where :

Divinos, ( Petit bouquet 43 * 101 )

Exclusivos ( Exquisitos 46 * 145 )

Generosos (Generosos 42 * 132 )

Traditionales (Favoritos 42 * 120 )

Released 1999 Millennium Jar Distinguidos (Romeos 52*162 )

Released 1999 Salomones II (Salomones II 57 * 174 )

Special release (long story )for German Merchant C. Wolters

Released 2001 HABANO BOOK with 10 Salomones - (Salomones 57 *184 )

Previously available as Soberbios in the Siglo XXI Millennium Humidor

Released 2001 Diadema (Diademas 55 * 233 )

Unique "star" foil wrapped with standard band..

Released 2002 Cushion Shaped Humidor (10 Distinguidos and 10 Salomones )

Released 2003 Salomones (Salomones 57 *184 )

Released 2003 Diadema (Diademas 55 * 233 )

Released 2003 Distinguidos (Romeos 52*162 )

Limited Edition 2008 Pyramides (Piramides 52 * 156 )

My latest smoke for this brand is been the 2008 LE that I could get during my visit in La Havana last April. This cigar will be , IMHO, the best piramide on the market in 5 years time. The wrapper is so oily and greasy, the flavour so rich of leather and spices .God bless who made this ligada, it remembers me the first batch of Partagas P2.

Going back I smoked my first Distinguidos from Jar in a herf in London and I liked it so much that I purchased a jar later on spending 700 euro. Smoked a second one last May once my football team archieved for the third time the Italian Football Serie “A” . Again a real joy.

Had chance to smoke only one Salomones II in Hong Kong and it was a huge fantastic smoke. Salomones I and Diademas are resting in my huimidor, I remember few years ago my first Diadema ( three hours of really Slow Smoke).Huge !

I had the “mareo” what Cubans call when you get completely hit by a cigar for it’s Fortaleza.

The Divinos is a small little bomb for me, almost on same levels of a short of Partagas. I enjoy it every time I have chance to smoke.

Well not everything is perfect, I don’t have good memories of the Exclusivos , the Generosos and the Traditionales , but also in other brands not all the vitola’s are perfect.

I would like to know your opinion on the above, even knowing that MRN in his Enciclopedia does not say any on this cigar, that for a Chinese means a lot.

really interesting post.

think that is correct re new brands - just cuaba and vegas robaina.

i think it fair to say that, on this forum at least, i have been one of this producer's greatest critics. have tried most of the range on several occasions, even the whopping diademas, and find them at the very bottom of the quality scale. as for the salamones, have tried far too many of them - got them from rob, at retailers when in europe and in havana. most of them are poorly constructed wind tunnels that make compost look attractive. the rest are worse.

quite simply, i had never had a decent cuaba - until the trip to havana earlier this year and got to try one of those LE's. agree there but it was a completely different animal. terrific cigar though sadly for it, tried it at the same time as we tried the monte sublime and that was so good, it made you forget about everything else. i think that the cuaba LE would have made much more of an impression if tried solo.

i am hoping that the huge lift in quality with the LE signals a much more serious approach from this producer and that we will see improvements across the board. i am also hoping to sleep with three supermodels at the one time. not holding my breath for either.

Great post Gino.

In the standard line of Cuaba I only relish the Cuaba Divinos. These are spicy full bodied firecrackers and one of the most underrated cigars.

The Cuaba Traditionales/Generosos/Exclusivos are far too often poor cigars. The taste more ofthen than not is simple paper and light tobacco.

Diademas and Salomones really dissapoint me. The construction is often so poor that the there is no resistance whatsoever to the draw. In the end they suffer from a lack of complexity.

The Milleinum Jars were a treat. Magnificent cigar.

I don't know where Cuaba goes from here. The new LE is indeed excellent and may leed a fightback. The reality is that through poor branding, poor product and poor marketing the brand has very few followers.

Personally I would delete the line altogether and introduce a quality perfecto to each of the other top 8 brands.

Montecristo Diadema? Bolivar Generoso? Cohiba Salomon?

Those three cigars would sell more globally in one month than the entire production total of Cuaba since inception.

I had a few nice Salomones with a good peanut taste, but every other vitola of this marca I've smoked has been crap. A bitter Hoyo as a figurado. Blah.

» Personally I would delete the line altogether and introduce a quality

» perfecto to each of the other top 8 brands.

»

» Montecristo Diadema? Bolivar Generoso? Cohiba Salomon?

»

» Those three cigars would sell more globally in one month than the entire

» production total of Cuaba since inception.

Agreed. :ok:

» Chatting this morning with some friends I found out that this brand is not

» sold so much.

If that is the case, and with so many poor reviews of these, why do they keep this marque alive?

Or at least, why not a reblend and relaunch? I know that some do enjoy them.

» I love the Divinos.

»

» I have tried the Salomones and Diademas, and found them to be very mild

» but nice. Not a got to have cigar, but a good change of pace.

I too really like the Divinos. Out of the range they seem to be the most consistant. Hate to say it but if I feel like a perfecto I usually grab a Fuente Hemingway. I wish their rollers would do a reverse and go roll for Cuaba. They always burn well and are have a good construction.

» » really interesting post.

» » think that is correct re new brands - just cuaba and vegas robaina.

»

» You forgot San Cristobal de la Habana and, commercially speaking,

» Trinidad.

yes, trinidad is one of those nebulous ones depending on how you want to pigeon-hole it but correct, i completely forgot san cristobel. apologies.

» » Chatting this morning with some friends I found out that this brand is

» not

» » sold so much.

»

» If that is the case, and with so many poor reviews of these, why do

» they keep this marque alive?

» Or at least, why not a reblend and relaunch? I know that some do enjoy

» them.

I am sure if current HSA Management were in place it would never have seen the light of day. Vegueros is another non event.

They were marketing geniuses :lol:

The decision to cull a marque is not taken lightly. I would first redo the packaging of Cuaba in red timber boxes with a simple iron burn.

10's of Distinguido and Salomones only except for Divinos which will come only in cabinets of 50.

Cut the traditionales, exclusivos and generosos completely. Change the blend of the larger formats. Fuller profile.

Do a relaunch and give it 3 years to see if it works.

» 10's of Distinguido and Salomones only except for Divinos which will come

» only in cabinets of 50.

»

» Cut the traditionales, exclusivos and generosos completely. Change the

» blend of the larger formats. Fuller profile.

»

» Do a relaunch and give it 3 years to see if it works.

I like this, you should speak to Habanos sa. But please, the first Diadema with stars aluminion foils are great.

And don't forget that util they did not launch the Cuaba brand there where very few torcedors that where rolling Perfecto cigars, so the poor construction also did not help the brand. Now at 10 years from teh official launch they (HABANOS) should do a Re-Launch in big style.

Maybe the Pyramide (that if I'm not wrong first batches are from Partagas) is teh beginning?

» Montecristo Diadema? Bolivar Generoso? Cohiba Salomon? Ramon Allones Distinguidos?

»

» Those four cigars would sell more globally in one month than the entire

» » » really interesting post.

» » » think that is correct re new brands - just cuaba and vegas robaina.

» »

» » You forgot San Cristobal de la Habana and, commercially speaking,

» » Trinidad.

»

» yes, trinidad is one of those nebulous ones depending on how you want to

» pigeon-hole it but correct, i completely forgot san cristobel. apologies.

And of course let's not forget Guantanamera :lol2:

» Montecristo Diadema? Bolivar Generoso? Cohiba Salomon?

»

» Those three cigars would sell more globally in one month than the entire

The Cohiba Salomones are already out! :lol3:

standard.jpg

» » Chatting this morning with some friends I found out that this brand is

» not

» » sold so much.

»

» If that is the case, and with so many poor reviews of these, why do

» they keep this marque alive?

» Or at least, why not a reblend and relaunch? I know that some do enjoy

» them.

I'm actually quite fond of the Divinos as a short smoke, and I've enjoyed the occasional Salamone that's crossed my path.

I don't see these ever replacing Cohiba, but there's not a reason to shut them down, either.

Just my $.02

» » Montecristo Diadema? Bolivar Generoso? Cohiba Salomon?

» »

» » Those three cigars would sell more globally in one month than the

» entire

» » production total of Cuaba since inception.

»

» The Cohiba Salomones are already out! :lol3:

» standard.jpg

Looks more a diadema to me ;-)