Lancero\'s in General

I recieved the latest CA and noted a fairly decent article on Lancero's. I must admit that although I do like 38/39 ring gauge the possibilities of draw issues is the deciding factor to purchase or not.

That being said I do recall a recent review by RA of the Cohiba which was deemed to be very good.

Out of the three that HSA currently markets which is currently the better choice? Maybe Tampa can chime in as I have enjoyed several of his Laguito 1 reviews over the years.

I wouldnt hesitate on getting some. I smoke quite a few of the Monte Especial No. 1 (Have 4 boxes from 97-00), and all have been perfectly constructed with zero draw issues. The few boxes of Cohiba Lancero's I have are also very good. Well constructed, and I have not had one problem with these either. I've had more draw issues in Churchills and DCs than Laguito No 1.

Btw, if you havent tried a Monte Esp. No 1, you dont know what your missin!

Interesting observation by cA and even Non-Cuban Manufacturers are again rolling the Lancero sized cigars. Not everyone in the cigar community believes that the entire world only wants 56-85 ring gauge cigars.

It is harder to roll a Lancero because it requires greater skill to ensure you have a good drawing cigar. My experience with recent 36-38 ring gauge Habanos 1999-2007 models is that during the late 99-2001 period there were definite construction issues. From the 02-07 period these issues have been addressed and I have rarely encountered any construction problems. I do suggest dry boxing for around 3 days before smoking any Lancero sized cigar personally.

I love the Cohiba Lancero; this cigar provides so many "Beany" flavors with mocha, coffee, rich vanilla, sweet Cohiba earthiness and tanned leather. The complexity provides such an elegant smoking experience that it reminds you way they cost so much, it is because they are worth it!

The entire Partagas Serie du Connaisseur selection of No.1, No. 2 and No.3's are a stable in my humidor. They taste of "Old School" Partagas type flavors to me and that is just something that the newer PSD4's and the 898's (while they are still very good IMHO) just do not have the rich complexity of the sweet red and green bell peppery spiciness along with the paprika, sea salt, earth and rich leather. IMHO you just can not go wrong with any of the SdC line.

I thought it interesting that many of the Non-Cuban Manufacturers such as Oliva with the V Series have made a big deal of the Lancero, which BTW is a very nice cigar IMHO. It goes to show the cigar community that a quality rolled Laguito is fashionable, flavorful and can ring the bell for retailers and be a profitable size to offer the customer base.

There are several others like the Montecristo Especial No. 1 and even though a touch shorter, the Montecristo Especial No. 2 and the Cohiba Corona Especial are absolutely awesome cigars and are so flavorful that they will blow your mind, great thin ring gauged cigars worthy IMHO for any ones humidor.

Just food for thought, I have preached for years that thin ring gauged cigars are worth smoking, to me; they are the most flavorful and complex Habanos made. That is just my own opinion. I enjoy all different types, sizes and shapes of Habanos, I just feel that the thinner ring gauged Habanos offer more for the palate to enjoy. :-D

Tampa

Lanceros are a must have smoke to have in your line up. I live the PSdC#1's a lot myself. Whilst these are great smokes, I would not exclusively monopolise them for big smokes as I like DC's and churchills too.

I love the Cohiba Lancero; this cigar provides so many "Beany" flavors with mocha, coffee, rich vanilla, sweet Cohiba earthiness and tanned leather. The complexity provides such an elegant smoking experience that it reminds you way they cost so much, it is because they are worth it!

The entire Partagas Serie du Connaisseur selection of No.1, No. 2 and No.3's are a stable in my humidor. They taste of "Old School" Partagas type flavors to me and that is just something that the newer PSD4's and the 898's (while they are still very good IMHO) just do not have the rich complexity of the sweet red and green bell peppery spiciness along with the paprika, sea salt, earth and rich leather. IMHO you just can not go wrong with any of the SdC line.

Chuck... you reflect my thoughts exactly. I think that the "Lancero" style cigars got a bad rap at the turn of the century because of draw problems, and haven't been able to re-establish themselves. I hope that they aren't "retired" completely, since demand is limited. But in the meantime, we should harvest wisely. There are still aged Monte Especials, and Serie du Connaisseur available. Get 'em while you can.

Give a recent production box (say '05 or later) a few years of age, and I don't think draw will be much of a problem.

I really like the Cohiba Laguito No. 1 and 2. Montes are half bad either, although I'm not a huge fan of the Marca.

Other skinny favs of mine include the Partagas SdC line and Punch Ninfas (I really wish these hadn't gone on the chopping block, as I'm down to a handfull).

For the budget-minded, the Por Larranaga Montecarlos are pretty tasty too.

And the ERDM Grandes de Espana are nothin' to sneeze at either. :-)

Lancero's are a staple in my humi, whether it is CC or not...Serie V's being on of my go-to's right now, as well as a few Don Pepin's. I am also loving the La Gloria Cubana M. d'Or no.1.....very delicious. They do have to be treated gently though.....they can get harsh if puffed too quickly, IMHO. I hope they become even more popular, and more marcas choose to create the size in their lineup.

~Billy