May Blind Tasting: The unveiling

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well..unfortunately I will turn in my review. This cigar looked and smelled so wonderful but it was just built wrong. Hecho a Mano and this one was just a reject. Smell cold was of sweet barnyard hay. Damn it was nice. Wrapper was dark and oily. I was drooling. Fairly heavy in hand.Nice box press to the shape.

Clipped the cap and cold draw was of light unsweetened Hersheys cocoa powder. This should have been great. What was this ? SLR Serie A ? Seemed like a Monte cold draw too. Unfortunately I would not be able to guess. Everything went to hell in a handbasket real quick.

The first few draws were good with a mod body and decent smoke volume. Draw was a bit off. Then the dreaded hot and airy mouth feel started rearing its ugle head. You know right away its going to be a fight. It would not stay lit after the first few draws. I dropped the ash of and saw a large hole in the ash...not good. I knew it was probably all over for this one. I cut it back to reveal a very interesting internal burn going on. I cut it back to where the burn stppoed and tried again. Nothing helped. I had to toss it. Sorry gang.

blind1.jpg

blind2.jpg

blind3.jpg

blind4.jpg

blind5.jpg

blind6.jpg

blind7.jpg

My buddy showed up...he sat on a rock and stared at me with a wistful look in his eyes...he felt my pain. I love him now.

blind.jpg

Good gosh,

I've never seen this to the degree you experienced. From the looks of these photos, it appears that a severely loose bunch created a sort of "fire-tunnel" or chimney. I've had off-centered coals before and uneven burns but this case is an order of magnitude worse.

» blind2.jpg

» blind5.jpg

» blind6.jpg

On a positive note, I've been smoking and getting back in form and will complete this review on schedule.

Wilkey

After taking pre-exam of an English exam, I was free and tried this blind tasting.

I didn't measure the cigar but someone will do instead of me.

I lit it up after lunch and following walking.

Draw was fine.

at first 1/3, I felt earthyness, lether spice and sweetness (but not so strong) .

An inch after I began to smoke, Its taste chaged to wood , honey and cream.

at 2/3,

just wood and cream..

I gave up to smoke it. because my stomach is weaken due to recent stress and the cigar was boresome...

Brand: bland Punch or SLR without confidence. Smokenum is perhaps right.

I did Prez but couldn't figure it out...notice the strange bunching and how it refused to burn in pics 5,6,7.....hell you gotta expect a screwup now and then woth something made by humanoids. GINSENG..the cigar was heavy and tight....but draw was pretty good.

» think spicy mole sauce (thanks Tigger),

»

»

» I have to ask....:confused:

Tigger used this descriptor in a recent review of Bolivar Tubos No.1.

I mentioned I would borrow it some time, and here it fit the bill.

Sorry to disappoint........

Smoked this with water and coffee today in the backyard. I have not read the other reviews to keep my mind empty, if not clean.

Slightly presses corona gorda, light Colorado in color. A bit spongy (though I dry boxed it for a week,) with moderate veining. Neither comely nor homely. Pre-light draw revealed to be spot on, taste on the lips is spicy with pepper and cedar. Smells just a bit of musty cocoa unlit, not much else.

1st 3rd--Copious amounts of smoke, true to the prelight draw, very peppery on the lips, some cedar as well. Quite strong from the gate, with some bitterness. Coffee starts to slowly show an inch in or so. The bitterness reveals itself as ginger, perhaps. Draw and smoke volume wonderful, burn a bit crooked but self-correcting. Earthiness, slight sweetness. Rounding out but still seems quite young. Still an amazing amount of smoke, strength. Hint of dried fruit, perhaps cherry. Chocolate emerges from the bitterness.

2nd 3rd—Really a very strong cigar. Wishing I had smoked it after dinner. Enjoying it nonetheless. Cocoa emerges more towards the forefront. Really tasting like an SLR to me now. Except for the cedar and brute force of the cigar. More chocolate and nuttiness emerges. Earthy brawniness with a slight sweetness on the back end.

3rd 3rd—More cedar, strength. Bitterness of youth reemerges. When purged, creaminess comes around. And darker coffee. Savory.

All in all a good smoke, very young and strong but enjoyable nonetheless. I would probably give it a solid 88, as the core of flavors was very good and I enjoy being smacked around a bit. There seems to be a good future to this smoke, with a good backbone of flavor that should shine through in a couple years once the bitterness of youth subsides.

Ah, pray tell, when does the bitterness of youth subside, someone tell me. But I digress and this is a cigar I’m supposed to be talking about, not the vagaries of life.

I would definitely think this was a very recent SLR Serie A, 2007 perhaps. Narrowed it down between that or the RyJ Ex3, but the core profile of flavor really seems to me to be Saint Luis Rey.

Thanks again for the opportunity to participate in this.

-Matt

I loved this cigar and am posting this without reading any other reviews. I felt this would either add to my geniousness or make a complete ass out of myself

This was such an interesting cigar for me to review because it was so unique to anything I have had the pleasure of smoking in my short experience with CC's.

Smoke time: 1hr and 30 minutes. I like to smoke slowly with about 30-45 seconds or so between slow long puffs. I find this allows me to get the most flavor out of the cigar.

I didnt feel this cigar's flavor profile was broken down into 1/3rds but rather the first inch, the 2nd-5th inch, and finally the last inch. The first inch of the cigar was full-bodied and an onslaught of black pepper and what I finally nailed down as slightly burnt oatmeal cookies. It wasnt exactly that but as close as I could get. The 2nd-5th inch was woody and an underlying flavor I just couldnt put my finger on, my guess would be sour cream. The last inch was harsh and had the woody and peppery notes shining through to a fault. This cigar had some serious tannins to it causing me to drink like a horse (Zacapa 23 that is). Construction and draw were great and never required even a single touch up. Smoke volume was good as well.

I dont know what this cigar is but allow me to venture a guess. Im going with a Punch Punch or SLR series A from 2006 or 2007. I cant imagine it to be a Hamlet because as far as I know nothing he makes is boxed pressed. I would be surprised if I have had a cigar from this marca. I have never had a SLR or a Punch but a bit of everything else.

Finally thanks for the cigar and the experience Prez and LISA! :-)

First off, thanks to Rob for doing these blind tastings....it proves none of us no what the f*ck we're smoking:lookaround:

Construction: Great construction…a little squished from the ride over.

Pre-Light Smell: Hay with a honey sweetness.

Pre-Light draw was perfect.

FoHReviewCigar001-1.jpg

1st third: The Corona Gorda lit nicely. The first puffs gave way to a familiar taste of wood, salt and pepper. Immediately I think I am smoking a SLR Serie A…a young one compared to my 01’s. A few inches in and the flavors are changing and I am second guessing myself. Deep draws produce chocolate and spice through the nose. Still a bit salty, but nothing as in your face as the cab of 01 SLR A I have.

FoHReviewCigar002.jpg

2nd third: I’m now getting a bit of cedar and dabs of honey. This is a damn tasty cigar, whatever the hell it is. While changing in flavors from honey, cedar, floral tea and wood, the predominant flavor is the wood. On the exhale Im starting the get a very pronounced sweetness that has me thinking RyJ. But I know my mind is playing tricks on me…not to mention the long hours of work are beginning to catch up.

FoHReviewCigar003.jpg

Last third: Well, Im now confused as to what Im smoking! The core flavor of wood has me second guessing myself, because the sweetness is unlike the SLR A I have. More of the same…wood, honey, herbal/floral notes. Medium bodied. Im now getting a little tangy finish that is amazing. Down to the nub the flavors are remaining true. A very good cigar in my opinion.

FoHReviewCigar004.jpg

Rating: 91

Guess: I will still guess the SLR Serie A. Although the cigar exhibited flavors I have not experienced in this cigar, the core flavors made me choose it. Overall, a very good cigar that I would surely buy a box of.

This baby rested at approx 65%RH for a fortnight, and was dry-boxed for a day. Sacrificed on a fine 15C breezeless night, with a rather weak warm black coffee as a palate freshener.

The bandless sample had a slight box-press (indicating a possible dress-box origin), it was 142 mm long and 47.1 ring gauge (measured near where the band would have been)... it was surely a Corona Gorda (officially 46 ring x 143 mm).

The plain brown wrapper was rather veiny, with a few greenish spots, with a faint oily luster yet a tad dry to touch. Nice well made triple cap with the foot evidencing good bunching. Mostly firm but with two slightly soft spots on the top half.

Smell at cold was rather faint but clearly sweet tobacco with a hint of baked cheesecake... same smell, albeit stronger, was noted when it arrived (it was stored flanked by cedar strips to avoid fragrance transfer from neighbouring sticks). Clipping the cap, it revealed an easy draw that was not to loose. Taste on the lips was sweet hay and toasted tobacco, with hint of spice on the tongue.

After roasting the foot, the opening draws were predominantly cedar and black pepper, the texture was rather dry, leaving a cedary finish with a hint of dry old cinnamon. Smoke volume was decent at this stage. The aroma from the burning end was not overtly fragrant, just honest toasted quality tobacco. Black pepper through the nose but not overpowering.

After the first 1/2 inch, the initial pepper onslaught waned, leading to a nuttier core (pecans came to mind) with a cedar edge and some hints of fresh ground black pepper on the tongue. At this stage, it is nicely full-bodied... near the first inch mark, its texture became predominantly tannic (like a strong black tea) retaining a sharp cedar edge on the tongue. The tannic character did not last long, as it soon mellowed into a black coffee and cedar baseline with a smooth leathery texture on the palate. Some nutmeg spice hints appeared here and there. Up to here, the burn was nearly perfect with very light grey ash which is rather flaky on the surface, not overtly ribbed.

Sweet hints appeared near the beginning of the second third, which in combination with the leathery texture yielded an earthy texture reminiscent of fresh white mushrooms. This change in character is accompanied by a clear change in the smoke aroma (toward a fragrance that I can only describe as bolivaresque). There is some cedar on the tongue and hints of dry cinnamon.

Near the midpoint the sweet nuances slowly disappeared, and the texture became smooth and leathery again. The cedar on the tongue gained some spice, and both leather and cedar linger on the palate after each puff.

Around the beginning of last third, some bitterness came in... the burn became increasingly ragged and the smoke volume has decreased significantly. But the bitterness went away after slowing the pace and purging a couple of times. The smoke volume was still weak.

The mushroom character made a come back, but the burn became atrocious. After forcing a correction with fire and purging a couple of times, the smoke volume increased significantly but the sweet hints had left by this stage, leaving a cedar and leather character.

In the last quarter, the cedar became increasingly spicier and drier in texture, but with faint cinnamony sweetness on the lips. After 50 mins of life and with 1/2 inch to go, I let it die with dignity.

While its was not an excitingly complex smoke, it needs to still balance its act, I did enjoy it... it tasted like a fairly young cigar, possibly less than 5 years old. Its character reminded me of that Juan Lopez bloke, though it had other characteristics that also reminded me of the R&J mob... but since the JayLo Seleccion #1 doesn’t come in dress boxes, I would venture to guestimate it to be a R&J Exhibicion No.3… I would not bet anything on it though :-P

Oh yeah... and I have not read any of the other reviews on this thread before posting these shonky notes.

Thanks Prez for the pleasure and opportunity to participate. Cheers!

» Oh yeah... and I have not read any of the other reviews on this thread

» before posting these shonky notes.

It's kind of cool to go back and do so afterwards though. If I have made an ass of myself then I'm in very exalted company! :-P

» Interesting review and guess, Evo. I had discounted the RG CE because of

» how strong mine was, but that could be the wild card.

I've never tried a RG CE, but the reviews I've read were similar to this cigar, and I had to guess something.

We shall see.:confused:

» It's kind of cool to go back and do so afterwards though. If I have made an ass of myself then I'm in very exalted company! :-P

Oi!

Perhaps that is intent, give us all a slice of the proverbial humble pie... on the other hand, and after reading the reviews posted up this point, it seems that the incognito is a relatively inconsistent cigar in terms of construction and, perhaps, blend...

But damn Alain! aren't you a lucky bastard... I guess it is one of the perks of living in Brissi, you get to sit with our host to review the stick! :yes: (in the end, did you manage to get him pissed enough to get him to show you the pile of disposed off bands?;-) )

Mate, I still don't know for sure and I was back in there today spending all my pay before Susanna can get her hands on it for those trivilaities she likes so much, like food, deposits for the wedding and mortgage payments.

Curiosity isn't killing this cat, but I've got an itch that's hard to scratch!

I have refrained from reading previous reviews, so that I could approach this cigar with some objectivity.

This was obviously a corona gorda, with a definite box press. The wrapper was medium brown, and a bit mottled, which gave it a somewhat rustic appearance. It was heavy in the hand, and quite firm along its length. Fortunately, when clipped the draw seemed fine.

When lit, my example responded with a blast of intense tannic and peppery spice. Within a few draws, I could also detect an underlying sweetness and some fruity notes, but the bitterness overshadowed the profile, and left me with more of a sense of what the cigar might someday become, rather than what it is today.

Throughout the first third, I found the smoke to be full-bodied, but excessively rough and tannic. It did not settle down, which convinces me that the cigar is young, probably a late '06 or '07 boxcode. Despite this, I could discern underlying citrus, pepper, and an attractive fruity quality that bodes well for the cigar's ultimate complexity.

However, by the final third, it was simply too overpowering and too bitter to continue, so I put it out. The profile remained pretty linear, and very strong right up to the finale.

To me, this corona gorda has the signature profile of a young Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No. 3, which along with the Cazadores, is the strongest vitola in the RyJ lineup. Unlike the Caz, the X3 has greater inherent depth and complexity in the blend, which progressively reveals itself through age. This particular example would probably have become a truly interesting and ejoyable smoke with seven to ten years under its belt. But for now, it was simply an exercise in endurance.

Wilkey's FOH Coronas Gordas review

This was a gently box-pressed cigar with a light, dryish colorado wrapper. Cap and construction were good with a tiny tell-tale dimple in the cut cap. Prelight aroma was pleasant, mild, light.

FOH_CG01.jpg

This cigar lit without trouble and the burn was straight and true from start to finish. The draw was on the tight side so I massaged the head region and the wrapper took quite a bit of squishing without damage. That in itself was a bit unusual.

Initial impressions were of a mild-medium strength and a medium body. Rather nondescript grassy, sweet but with a touch of tanginess. Not much change over the first third.

The second third brought a little bit more body and the continuation of the light, straight tobacco flavor and a dash of something that I just can't put my finger on. Not bad, not thrilling, but not bad.

FOH_CG02.jpg

The cigar finished up pretty much where it started. A bit more warmth and a bit of sweetness here and there but again, nothing too exciting.

Possibly a SLR Serie A or RG CE.

Wilkey