Montecristo Number 2 PUT May 07

This review reminds me how just how much pleasure there can be in the old stand-by's...

A medium-rare hamburger, charbroiled fresh off the grill with all the trimmings.

A big stack of crispy, french-fried potatos.

A homemade chocolate chip cookie, right out of the oven.

Sometimes old favorites are the best bet.

As it is spring break, I had the night off yesterday. I took one of my # 2s and lit it:-) . Sat in the garden and enjoyed the experience, It was consistently enjoyable, fine draw, luscious mix of leather,spice,pepper,and some hints of chocolate/coffee. As I have a mix of club and costa rican purchased #2s, the two match up on the same level-fine construction,wrapper that changes color and depth as I smoke;wonderful aroma and tastes.

Great review of one of my favorites. The Monti #2 should be apart of every humidor. I love to smoke one while watching a good baseball game. So far I've made it into the 7th inning with one.

The rvival of quality of the MC#2 since late 05 is remarkable. Even more remarkable, and totally unremarked, is how good the 07 MC#3s are. Highly recommended.

» Great review of one of my favorites. The Monti #2 should be apart of every

» humidor. I love to smoke one while watching a good baseball game. So far

» I've made it into the 7th inning with one.

Never have been in my regular rotation (ducking the thrown objects) -- I snagged some recently to see if I could convince myself otherwise.

So far they still haven't swayed me, with my favorite experience being those I fired up as an early morning smoke (empty stomach and coffee on the side).

Doubt they will hold up to my tastes if I was drinking any alcohol. Got a dozen more left to test and believe there is some libating in my near future.

Oh - and thanks for your review Rob :-)

» Prez, what'd you think of the aging potential of this mid-2007 stick in

» general?

I have had some much stronger 07's (medium /full) which I would comfortably put away for 7-10 years.

Ths one...3-5 max. I think that after that period of time it would lose more than it gained.

Haha, smoked one from the same box code last night. I couldn't have written a more accurate review of what I smoked. A perfect mirror image to your experience. Personallly, I think I preferred my buddies may 07 BCE with a little more body and it was thicker on the palette. I would really love that same monte flavor profile turned up a few degrees. Oh and I paired it with some ron zacapa 23, man I love that stuff. If only I could get my hands on some Havana club 7 yr for less than $60 bottle shipped to the US.

I have a few boxes with that code, hopefully they are a little more robust and last the long haul. I have a magical box from '06 that I'm trying to keep my hands off of. Great strength, flavors and perfectly rolled. No doubt those will stand the test of time, but they are so good now. ;-)

An excellent review of one of my favorite cigars. One question though. Another member mentioned that he found it a little "thick on the palette"

How would you explain that phrase to a relative newbie?

» How would you explain that phrase to a relative newbie?

Though addressed to Rob, I'll throw in my two bits. For me it's a sense of weight, depth, density of the

smoke on the palate. Mouthfeel is another term I'd use as well.

So imagine two different cigars, one with a light, delicate thin feel to the smoke. The other feels full, deep,

rich and dense.

Maybe try to think of it in terms of wine or beer - bud light versus guinness stout.

» » How would you explain that phrase to a relative newbie?

»

» Though addressed to Rob, I'll throw in my two bits. For me it's a sense of

» weight, depth, density of the

» smoke on the palate. Mouthfeel is another term I'd use as well.

»

» So imagine two different cigars, one with a light, delicate thin feel to

» the smoke. The other feels full, deep,

» rich and dense.

»

» Maybe try to think of it in terms of wine or beer - bud light versus

» guinness stout.

That helps, thank you!

• 4 months later...

Great review on one of the finest cigars ever produced in my opinion. From the very first Monte 2 I ever had until now, my hands itch everytime I light one up.

The creamy/smooth flavour it leaves on the palette from start to finish is like no other. Probably extremely similar taste to the Cohiba Esplendido when I think about it.. Whether its with a coffee in the morning or cognac at night after a meal, the Monte 2 is always a pleasure to smoke. Not too mild yet not over powering, this cigar definitely finds a medium that in my experience is also very consistent.

Long live the Monte 2, one of the best to come out of Havana without a doubt.

Thanks for the Monte review boss. There has been so little said on this forum about the Marque I almost believed it was going away... lol

From the number of responses I see that there are a number of "closet" Monte smokers out there and it is one of my favorites.

It is worth repeating: Long Live the Monte No. 2!

» I know it is difficult, but the longer you let them rest, the better they

» will taste. 30-60 days will make a huge difference

I know, but the temptation is to hard to resist! Plus as my wife constantly likes to point out I have no self control.:-P

I'm a bit confused as to what a cigar fresh out of shipping will taste like. Will it be terrible tasting or just not up to it's full potential? I split this box with my father and of course I took the extra so I was considering smoking lucky #13. How bad an idea is this?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't ask you can't know.;-)

» I'm a bit confused as to what a cigar fresh out of shipping will taste

» like. Will it be terrible tasting or just not up to it's full potential?

In most cases you don't have to let a cigar rest after shipping. But the Czar uses some nasty smelling bubble wrap that infiltrates the cigars. This takes a few days to air out. I've contacted Rob about this issue. His reply was indicated that bubble wrap is a necessity. No doubt this is true, but I've never come across packaging that smells as bad as this stuff.

» Will it be terrible tasting or just not up to it's full potential?

» I split this box with my father and of course I took the extra so I was

» considering smoking lucky #13. How bad an idea is this?

»

» Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't ask you can't know.;-)

Smoking a cigar that has just arrived can taste terrible, bad, good and just not as good as it could after a rest period. In my own experience, I have found that new arrivals taste superior after a 30-60 day resting period to those that just came in off the truck. Only your self control and experience will determine your actions.

If you must break the 30-60 day resting period, do yourself an experiment. jot down everything you can about the taste, flavors, burn and enjoyment of the cigar, then do the same after the 30-60 day period. 99.999999% of the time, everyone that I have asked to do this has expressed an opinion that the cigar tasted so much better after the resting period that they impose the 30-60 day resting period on themselves for the future.

It is a function of having enough inventory on hand to allow new arrivals time to rest while you smoke other cigars. Order more and increase inventory! Rob & Lisa will take good care of you! :-D