What is currently the best out of the box smoke & why

Hey guys,

SONNY1 raised a pretty good point, that sometimes you do not have the luxury of waiting for a cigar to develop with age. So here is a two part question for all.

-- What is the best 2007 cigar you have smoked straight out of a box you just received and why? --

Let's assume you give it only a month at tops to rest. Yeah I know that is recommended minmum, but I know we all can't resist just trying that first one on the day a box arrives at your door.

The why is the most important part guys.

I have quickly come to love the Ramon Allones Small Club Corona. Firecracker is the word for it. I love the strength and flavors. When I don't have a great deal of time (like work every friggin day) I practically inhale this forgiving guy. When I have the time to stretch it out and keep it cool, I get rewarded with a myriad of flavors that I know but just can't name (which is why I have yet to write a review). An hour's smoke from a mere 4 inches! SONNY1, make sure you try one of these.

Great post BF.

We can only go on a "rule of thumb" here based on personal experience over years and years. Even with a particular cigar that has always performed well "out of the box" you will come across disappointments.

Outside of general construction issues the best guage for a box of cigars which smoke well young has been (in my opinion) aroma. The aroma needs to be rich and lacking amonia or herbal undertones.

Again as a "rule of thumb" I have enjoyed the following young assuming they meet the above aroma criteria:

Ramon Allones Small Club Corona

Trinidad Reyes

Partagas Serie D No 4

Punch Petit Punch

Punch Petit Corona

Partagas Serie D No 4

Partagas Serie P No 2

Montecristo Number 2 (but you have to select the right box).

Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 3

Diplomatico No 4

Cohiba Robusto

Bolivar Royal Corona

You guys nailed it... the RASCC.

But here's a sleeper for you: it's bigger brother, the '07 RA Belicoso (that's right, the '07) is right in there. What a great smoke! Ramon Allones is really kicking ass in 2006-2997.

Oh, Senor el Prez... I know that you reviewed an early '07 RAG that left mucho to be desired. Try an AGO07, and let us know what you think.

» -- What is the best 2007 cigar you have smoked straight out of a box you

» just received and why? --

Of course, taste is a very personal thing so 'for each his own' !

Most Light to Medium favours can be enjoyed right away -

Hoyo, Rafael Gonzalez, Rey del Mundo, H.Upmann, Por Larranaga, Cohiba Siglo, La Gloria Cubana, Punch, Romeo y Julieta, Sancho Panza, Trinidad, Cohiba Classic, Cuaba, Diplomaticos.

Whereas Medium to Fall favours would be more enjoyable after some aging -

Juan Lopez, Montecristo, Vegas Robaina, Bolivar, Partagas, Ramon Alones, Saint Luis Rey.

My personal selection of 'straight out of box' are Hoyo Epicure #2, Por Larranaga Petit Corona, Cohiba Robusto, La Gloria #2, Juan Lopez Selection #2, Bolivar Royal Corona.

So far, my fav 07s are RASCC & Montecristo #3. Heard good things about BCE, but I'm smoking an excellent 06 DB and haven't broken into my cab of 07s.

Before I finished reading your thread I was thinking RASCC's! I have just nubbed one in the garden. Your comments are spot on. I enjoy these quickly 'for the fix' and also at more of a leisurely pace.

Just had one at pace (my box are something like POSMAY07). Really got smacked round the chops by the green pepper!

»

» Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 3

»

I have had great luck with these. Great flavor ROTT, already tasted like it had a year on it. Had one last night that did just turn a year and it was fantastic.

Here are some of my Fav smokes....but looking over Prez list I guess I have to try some of these other smokes.

ROMEO Y JULIETA BELICOSOS

ROMEO Y JULIETA CAZADORES

Monte 2

HOYO DE MONTERREY LE HOYO DES DIEUX

JUAN LOPEZ SELECCION NO.1

JUAN LOPEZ SELECCION NO.2

I just received a box of PL Panetellas from the Czar. I received them on a Friday morning and fired one up on Friday night. They were fantastic. Plenty of PL flavor. I was very surprised for a machine made/hand finished cigar. And right out of the box they were great, and now with about a month age they are even better. In my opinion, it is one of the best cigars for price/flavor ratio.

Another fantastic cigar right out of the box are the Trinidad Reyes. Got them out of the mailbox, opened them up and and fired one up. Amazing.

Good luck.

Thank you

I have to agree with El Prez (hate when that happens, however) in his selections, although I have to dismiss the Punch as that's a marca I stay away from with the exception of the Churchill, which I enjoy.

All good advice,IMO. Under protest! LOL Actually, we agreed a few times in Havana.

» I also remember being in Havana when the first release of Trinidad Reyes was being passed around, The early word was that the Reyes would surely be a winner right out of the gate, That proved to be true and continues to date. I agreed then as I do now, there's nothing much better than a cup of cafe cubano and a Trini Reyes!

» I have to agree with El Prez (hate when that happens, however) in his

» selections, although I have to dismiss the Punch as that's a marca I stay

» away from with the exception of the Churchill, which I enjoy.

»

» All good advice,IMO. Under protest! LOL Actually, we agreed a few times in

» Havana.

Seriously Stan...a great Punch Petit Punch rivals a Great Trini Reyes ;-)

» Seriously Stan...a great Punch Petit Punch rivals a Great Trini Reyes ;-)

I agree...these are a great smoke. I have had a few with a loose draw but when they are right,I actually prefer over the Trini.

Good evening all,

I have to pile on here. Just spent an hour with a sweet RASCC (POS ABR 07 but recently arrived). Maybe it was the still 50 degree Colorado evening, maybe it was the 3 days of dry boxing, maybe it was that I was ready for a good cigar. Man, what a lovely smoke. It was better than dessert; toasted tobacco flavor with sweet and spicy undertones.

I split the box with two friends and now I want them all back.

Cheers,

Dave

Id have to say for straight out of the box goodness you cant deny the RASCC. Dark fruit, med/full body and spicy. I really cant say I will ever try these with a lot of age on 'em unless I buy 5-10 boxes for that purpose. To me it is the most approachable, most satisfying cigar straight from birth.

I have three boxes of the RASCC's TEB JUL07 that I put down to age several months ago they smell great and smoke just as good as they smell BUT....my question is this, what can I expect with 5-7 or even 10 yrs of age on them, do I have the right idea in allowing them to sleep given the fact that I have plenty of aged sticks to smoke now....will I be rewarded?

» I have three boxes of the RASCC's TEB JUL07 that I put down to age several

» months ago they smell great and smoke just as good as they smell BUT....my

» question is this, what can I expect with 5-7 or even 10 yrs of age on them,

» do I have the right idea in allowing them to sleep given the fact that I

» have plenty of aged sticks to smoke now....will I be rewarded?

Hell yeah I think you'll be rewarded!! Will it be a different cigar? Yes, probably so. But I think these will age very well and given the strength and body they exhibit while young, I can't help but think they will progress and age into a very flavorful cigar....BUT, I do see where you are coming from. They are so good now - could that mean they are to be enjoyed young? Would aging them take away the main reason why we love them? Could be, but it sounds like a fun experiment.