A new humidor

SmokinAl

From across the pond, I'm impressed with your skills, Al...

Looks like you enjoyed the process of making the humidor, and in its completion with a proper celebration during its launch by enjoying a nice CC...

Thanks for the photos and hope to hear (and see) more from you 'down-the-line'...

Jack

» Now that I am back....lets have that cigar and wine on the deck ;-)

Done! How's Thusday afternoon? You bring the smokes, I'll bring the booze. Looking forward to seeing the REAL photos from the trip that can't be published on the web...

» Gday folks,

»

» I thought I might post a few pics of a humidor I just finished. This is

» what has side-tracked me from doing my promised mini tutorial on how to

» build a desktop humidor yourself (which I will start this week).

That is beautiful, oh the things i would build if i had any skills in working with wood, but, alas, i do not lol :)

James

G'day Colt,

Yep thats right. The proper one will be made the same size but with a better grade of wood on the outside. The door panel will be carved on the inside or have a pattern of geometric stringing lines. The large central drawer will get some inlayed initials in wood or we're talking about using German Silver on this one.

This one is a copy of an American classic piece of furniture and due to the intracicies of the storage I needed to see how I was going to fit in humidification. It actually has three secret compartments in it. One behind the crown molding at the top, one carved into the base and one behind a perforated divider in the large centre drawer.

My mother-in-law-to-be has since seen this and she's making oohing noises which could back me into a corner on the whole destruction thing...If the owner of the of the final piece approves, I'll give this to her.

Al.

• 7 months later...

Gday folks,

I thought I might post a few pics of a humidor I just finished. This is what has side-tracked me from doing my promised mini tutorial on how to build a desktop humidor yourself (which I will start this week).

image5749.jpg

This was originally built as a prototype to get the humidification right. Humidification is supplied from two concealed compartments in the top and bottom. The drawers are also long enough to house small reservoirs if need be and still fit a Monte A.. You can never have too much humectant/desicant.

image5750.jpg

image5751.jpg

I first saw a Philadelphia style Spice box in the collection of a friend in the USA and I’ve wanted to do a reproduction ever since. I was reminded of this when I saw one in a magazine article earlier this year and set to it. The woods used are Mahogany, New Guinea Rosewood and Queensland Maple. We’re spoilt in Australia to have some of the nicest cabinet woods in the world. All the joinery of dovetails, mortice and tenon are handcut. Notice the zero clearance dovetails in the drawers. Nothing has been sandpapered, rather all the wood is finish planed as it would have been 200+ years ago when the original was made.

image5752.jpg

image5753.jpg

This box will fit about 250-350 medium to large gauge cigars.

I’ve attached a few pics showing details and one of yours truly working last Sunday night, chomping on a HdM DC, my favourite way to work! This was a lot of fun to build and I’m looking forward to doing the real one after I've done the desktop walkthrough!

image5754.jpg

Cheers,

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...