Celestiales Fino

Great review. I was wondering about the yellow cello.

Two things come to mind. Not that I expect or want you to answer this but I wonder when and how much these were. :lookaround:

But really, I am glad to hear what you said about the Cazadores because I just got a box. :rotfl:

Thanks

I think that this is the first review I've read of this cigar. At any rate, it was a good one. The only Romeo that I've had that sounds even remotely like this is the Exhibicion No. 3. Thanks!

When I worked at SMOKE Magazine from 1997-1999 we procured a box of these from the same production year -- at least I think they were the same year if my memory is serving me correctly. We reviewed them for our short-lived "vintage" cigar review, which probably appeared in a 1998 issue. I remember I kept a handful from the box for my own humidor and smoked them between 1999 and 2002. Fantastic smokes!!! Just as you describe them.

The old Celestial Finos like you have are fantastic powerful cigars. More recent (98-01) are not up to snuff. Woody flavors & not much else. Discontinued in 2002.

» The old Celestial Finos like you have are fantastic powerful cigars. More

» recent (98-01) are not up to snuff. Woody flavors & not much else.

» Discontinued in 2002.

With the Punch SS#2 gone and an obvious blend change in the later RyJ CF's and inconsistancies in the RyJ Cazadores blend, which sticks are current powerhouses?

» Discontinued in 2002.

I concur with this assessment. Chalk and cheese.

Great review :ok:

» Discontinued in 2002.

I absolutely agree with this. Just last night I was at a friend's house and he gifted me a CF that he said was from 2001. It looked very nice but had a much lighter colored wrapper than the vintage ones I had smoked previously. I lit it up and it was mild and unimpressive throughout. Very disappointing to say the least. My friend felt bad so he immediately gave me a Partagas Short to make up for it. It did. That was the first Partagas Short I've ever smoked and I was very impressed. What a flavorful little smoke!

• 8 months later...

Celestiales Fino, circa 1984 in cellophane.

image5735.jpg

image5736.jpg

image5737.jpg

The cellophaned stick is well constructed and the 20 year old + cellophane has yellowed considerably.

image5738.jpg

image5739.jpg

The drink: Havana Club Barrel Proof

image5740.jpg

The head:

image5741.jpg

The foot:

image5742.jpg

image5743.jpg

The stick:

The Celestiales Fino has a beautiful colorado wrapper with minimal oily sheen. Scissored and draws like a wind tunnel. Very strong prelight taste. Lots of ligero on torching.

image5744.jpg

First third:

Lots of OOOMPH! This stick is loaded with ligero, overwhelming in power. Reminscent of a Cazadore when its ON! Leather and spice!

image5745.jpg

Second third:

Still in your face, but beginning to settle a bit.

image5746.jpg

Final third:

The creamy cubano twang is starting to show its face. Still a lot of power here.

image5747.jpg

The end:

I'm gonna be tasting this old powerhouse for awhile. Amazingly strong for a stick of this vintage. The Barrel Proof neat accompanies the cigar rather nicely.

Celestiales Fino 1984: 92

image5748.jpg

• 1 year later...

It's been interesting reading this thread, as one of my early acquisitions when taking up cigars was a box of (cellophaned) Romeo y Julieta Celestiales Finos - some time in the mid-to-late 1980's. The shape appealed as much as the flavour. Unfortunately, the blend must have been altered considerably in the mid-1990's, because none of the puros masquerading under that moniker that I smoked from about 1996 onwards came close to resembling the traditional taste. I felt cheated, so when this line was discontinued, few tears were shed.

I have tried a Ramón Allones Celestial Fino, but it was too harsh for my palate.