Toasting The Foot

I've lit cigars using various methods over the years. I've read often enough that many people light their

cigars indirectly - never really letting the flame touch the foot of the cigar. I've done it both ways and have

never detected an initial difference in flavor of any kind.

In essence, they do the same thing - blacken the foot, light it on fire, and create an ember.

Since I smoke outdoors 99.9% of the time, my usual method is to take a torch directly to the foot,

get it toasted, and then take my first draw. If we take weather out of the equation, my question would

be why we use the indirect method. Are we standing on ceremony? Tradition? A sense of respect for

the cigar and / or the people responsible for it's creation? Putting on airs?

I too smoke almost completely outdoors. When I am at home, I have this cooking torch for creme brulee that chars anything near instantly. I like to roll the foot at an angle to the flame until it is completely black, then directly apply the flame to the foot until almost uniformly white. (Watching the foot at all times of course) It will draw smoke without any fuss after that and I have far less irregularities when it comes to maintaining an even burn.

» why we use the indirect method. Are we standing on ceremony? Tradition?

» A sense of respect for

» the cigar and / or the people responsible for it's creation? Putting on airs?

I like the indirect method. I'm not in a hurry to light a cigar that it'll take a while to smoke, anyway. When lighting with a torch lighter, there is an initial bitterness to the smoke. It goes away after a few puffs, but it makes for an unpleasant start. Not something I need to save 30 seconds of time in my life.

I wouldnt call the indirect lighting ceremonial, simply traditional. You could drink red wine out of a beer glass and it wouldnt taste much different, either. But just like with the cigar, you'd lack style.

As a relative newcomer, this topic fascinates me.

One thing that struck me is, if you watch any of the videos on Cigar Aficionado, Gordon Mott directs his torch lighter directly at the foot, and just leaves it there for what seems like hours (usually while Dave Savona is sitting next to him, clicking away like a mad bastard, trying to get his lighter to start).

First time I saw this, I thought the whole stick was going to burst into flames . . . but it didn't.

I personally can taste a faint charred note when I let the flame make too much direct contact, but it's not that big a deal to me.

I have over the years used just about every method of lighting a cigar known to man. I prefer the indirect method because I find it lights the cigar more evenly and I do not taste any of the butane or lighter fluid from a lighter. Even when I may use a cedar splint to light my cigar, I do not let the flame actually touch the foot of the cigar. Maybe it is traditional maybe not, but it to me is a classy method of elegance while enjoying one of my premium Habanos.:-D

Colt, I have found that using the indirect method is part of the cigar smoking experience that I enjoy. I use a Blazor torch and instead of rotating the cigar, I find it's easier for me to make a small circuler motion with the torch. I love to watch the foot begin to toast and I can control the heat to create an even burn. Each time I try to make it perfect, it does not always turn out that way, but I will continue to try.

However, I too, smoke outside 99% of the time and taking weather into acount, this method is not always possible.:-)

Jesus, all this smoking outside! Outside the height of summer I smoke inside all the time, and luckily the girlfriend is very understanding about imperitive need to have a "gentlemen's smoke room" :lol:

Personally I like to light a cigar as slowly as possible, using spills or a soft flame lighter. Have tried Claudius' method a couple of times recently and it works a treat.

I am not trying to impress anybody or look cool or elegant.

I light my cigar as quickly as possible, purge, and let it sit for a minute. Then I smoke that bastard and it usually tastes pretty good. If it doesn't I usually do not blame the ignition technique.

Hi

I think that the indirect method comes from when lighting gas where not as clean as its today and when matches and other lighting methods where used. While letting all gas to combust some of the gas pollution will also burn, or if heavier "fall out", and this makes the heat a bit cleaner

But there is another thing, a torch flame is way to hot for tobacco if used directly on it, so putting the torch to the tobacco can easily overheat it and create a bitter/burned taste, so when using a torch I go for the indirect method, same if I have to use cigar matches, if I use my S.T Dupont lighter its a bit between. But I never put the lighter against the cigar and make a draw, doing this might draw lighter gas in to the cigar and if you take your time lighting it you dont have to do it.

Mostly I use my torch to burn climbing ropes with, perfect to close cut ends with, cigars I go with the regular gas S.T Dupont Line 2 lighter, never fails.

cheers

» I've lit cigars using various methods over the years. I've read often

» enough that many people light their

» cigars indirectly - never really letting the flame touch the foot of the

» cigar. I've done it both ways and have

» never detected an initial difference in flavor of any kind.

» In essence, they do the same thing - blacken the foot, light it on fire,

» and create an ember.

» Since I smoke outdoors 99.9% of the time, my usual method is to take a

» torch directly to the foot,

» get it toasted, and then take my first draw. If we take weather out of the

» equation, my question would

» be why we use the indirect method. Are we standing on ceremony? Tradition?

» A sense of respect for

» the cigar and / or the people responsible for it's creation? Putting on

» airs?

I smoke indoors, for the most part; I'll take it outside in warmer weather without wind and insects. In Minnesota (with long, cold winters and summers with windy and biting insect prone conditions), I also find myself indoors...

With a torch, I light directly, and take my time blackening the end uniformly. Once a complete glow is achieved, I torch the perimeter about 1/32" deep...

With a Zippo style lighter, I never let the flame touch said foot and repeat above after full ember is met...

With a wooden match, I let the head of the match burn completely and then treat the cigar as if I were lightening with a torch...

This is MY way, and perhaps not the BEST way to begin enjoying a fine cigar. After thirty years of doing this almost daily, I don't even think about it any more since most of my Habanos are lit with a butane torch...good luck

Jack

I find the Match method a real pain in the arse especially if outdoors..if you do not have the super duper long matches forget it, you are definately going to burn your fingers and thats no way to start!

» » With a wooden match, I let the head of the match burn completely and then

» treat the cigar as if I were lightening with a torch...

»

» This is MY way, and perhaps not the BEST way to begin

» enjoying a fine cigar. After thirty years of doing this almost daily, I

» don't even think about it any more since most of my Habanos are lit with a

» butane torch...good luck

»

»

» Jack