la batalla de los gigantes

» As others have already stated, the recent reviews have been outstanding,

» and as I make no bones

» about the fact I feel the BCG is the king of churchills, this one has me

» in tears - bravo!!

Well said! Great review on a classic Havana cigar. My preference has always been for the cabinet version, but it sounds like I don't necessarily have to discount a dress box that makes itself available.

» » I feel the BCG is the king of churchills

»

» The Sir Winston is the undisputed King of churchills!

Ha! The BCG, standing high upon Olympus, looks down upon all usurpers and merely smiles.

Truth is, I love the SW as well, and could easily call them 1a and 1b.

» Doc,

»

» Awesome review; you should get 4 tickets for doing double duty.

»

I agree with this sentiment 100%, by the way, for those keeping score. :yes:

» "The Carajillo" - I need to try one ... how delicious!

»

» once you get the proportions of sugar, rum and espresso dialed in to your

» liking you'll love this drink! A perfect compliment to a cigar!

The glass looks full. How did you fill that glass with only a shot of espresso and a 1/2 shot of ron?

» » "The Carajillo" - I need to try one ... how delicious!

» »

» » once you get the proportions of sugar, rum and espresso dialed in to

» your

» » liking you'll love this drink! A perfect compliment to a cigar!

»

» The glass looks full. How did you fill that glass with only a shot of

» espresso and a 1/2 shot of ron?

I'm seeing the Havana Club as stage dressing and accompaniment in quite a few of these reviews, and my curiosity is afire--can someone PM me with info on how I can acquire some similar, um, stage dressing?

Ahem. :lookaround:

Charles

One of my humidor standards -- thanks for the great review...

Currently, I have a half box in my daily rotation from 04, and a 07 that's resting until 2010 or so when it'll be test smoked to see how it's coming along...

I always found it hard to age fine cigars for the required years (too much temptation) in the past, however, I now have enough stock to give them their proper time and still have daily cigars aged well enough to enjoy. I made a commitment 11 years ago to purchase cigars to age and have stuck to my promise. A box monthly after two boxes a month for the first couple years gets the job done. I consider it a hobby, cheap enough if you cut back on a few other things done in the past. For me that was quitting golf and dropping season tickets for major league hockey (I still have Twins - baseball - season tickets and will never drop them)...

I never realized until I added it up what golf costs a hacker like me. Add that to two $40.00/game tickets in a 41 game hockey season (not counting playoffs), and my cigar hobby becomes workable....

And I can smoke a cigar in my home while watching the hockey games unlike at the arena -- I think I made the right move, wouldn't you say?

Jack

• 8 months later...

The Bolivar Corona Gigantes is one of my all-time go to sticks. A recent review on this site prompts this comparison between cabinet and dress-boxed version. Both boxes are from the Partagas factory rolled two months apart (September-November 1997). Both have been stored in a temperature/humidity controlled walk-in for almost ten years.

image5582.jpg

The Sticks:

Dress Box

image5583.jpg

FPG OSSC

image5584.jpg

Cabinet

image5586.jpg

FPG NNSC

image5587.jpg

The drink:

The Carajillo: A version served in a flamenco bar on Calle Mercaderes in Habana Vieja. A shot of Caffe Cubano with a half shot of 7 year old on ice. I added the lemon twist, an incredible drink with cigars!

image5588.jpg

image5589.jpg

Pre-light:

image5591.jpg

Both boxes have an unmistakable cuban tobacco aroma, the edge goes to the cabinet that exhibits an incredible honeyed barnyard essence. Beautiful Colorado wrappers, the dress-box stick has an impressive box pressed appearance for an islander. Both sticks were punched and both had an excellent draw with a barely perceptible nod to the dress box.

image5592.jpg

image5593.jpg

First third:

Both sticks light, burn and draw very well. The dress box stick seems to have a little more "giddy-up".

image5594.jpg

Second third:

Excellent burn on both sticks, no corrections needed. Excellent toasty tobacco flavors with negligible differences

image5595.jpg

Final third:

Awesome sticks, medium body. Side by side intense "cubano twang". The cabinet selection is smoother, more refined, but gives up nothing in flavor to the dress-box selection. As the session goes-on a second Carajillo blends seamlessly with these tremendous Julieta 2's

image5596.jpg

The carnage:

image5597.jpg

I have to give a slight edge to the cabinet selection. The flavor is more refined and the honey essence of the wrapper hangs through the entire smoke. Being in the cabinet does not diminish the strength to any degree.

BCG Cabinet 11/97 FPG: 94

BCG Dress-box 09/97 FPG: 93

I hope to revisit and do another side-by-side in a couple of years, or maybe Punch Churchills or Double Corona's cabinet vs. dress-box sooner