Por Larranaga Montecarlo OEB ABR 07

Claudius

Por Larranaga Montecarlo OEB ABR 07

This very sexy cigar is a long Panatela (Delicioso, an appealing 35 ring gauge for a total length of 6 ¼ inches or 159 mm for our Australian and European friends). These cigars used to be machine made but have been TAM for a few years now. This cigar is almost 1 year old. The wrapper leaf is on the light side of maduro, slightly oily, rather veiny.

PLMC2.jpg

Construction-wise the cigar feels a little soft for having been stored at 66% RH, especially in the last third. It may be slightly underfilled, although the foot looks good. The pre-smoke draw should reveal the true nature of this Delicioso.

PLMC3.jpg

The setting for the review is my dining room, fully equipped with table, chair, a small astray, a large Spanish cigar cutter and an old French lighter.

PLMC1.jpg

After a quick and painless cut of the cap, it's time to test the draw. Surprisingly, it is rather resistive. Not firm, but pleasant. Probably around 50 on a Drawmaster tester. Aroma at cold is sweet tobacco.

I'm lighting this cigar by turning it for an approximate 20 seconds an inch above the flame of the standing lighter. This avoids the initial burned taste when torching the foot, yet it allows an instant burn once I take a draw of the cigar while holding the flame close to the foot. Please excuse the bad focus in this picture, but lighting a cigar this way with one hand and taking a picture with the other is not an easy task.

PLMC4.jpg

The first few puffs reveal a cool, sweet cedar taste. Body is on the light side of medium. The taste immediately evolves into a slightly spicy, sweet tobacco taste. Someone said last month that there was a cinnamon aroma. I would agree, but it is very faint. Nose exhaling confirms the cinnamon. The ash is grey and gives me the impression of being only moderately solid.

PLMC5.jpg

The sweetness becomes more defined as the first third passes and resembles a light honey taste. Burn is good although a piece of burned wrapper seems to want to leave early.

PLMC6.jpg

Into the second third, the body increases to a medium level and a little earth comes into the mix. The smoke has become very creamy at this point. The second half of the cigar is accompanied by a significant increase in strength along with some citrus notes. The initial honey sweetness evolves into a more masculine burned flavor that could be described as caramel and toasted nuts. As the presence increases, the cigar's spiciness becomes obvious. The panatela now burns very evenly.

PLMC7.jpg

In the beginning of the last third, a definite citrus flavor hits the smoker. The ash is "hanging in there" but gives the impression it could fall off any second. Trying to get it off appears more difficult than I expected, though. Spice increases and a burned coffee taste appears. Ash is solid and a mushroom taste comes into the creamy, spicy mix of flavors.

Into the last two inches, the ever increasing body is now medium plus and the smoke becomes peppery while retaining its past aroma. Time to take off the band.

PLMC8.jpg

At this point, the cigar has become full-bodied, spicy and peppery but is still very creamy. A few more puffs and I lay what's left of this delicious Delicioso to rest.

PLMC9.jpg

In summary, I would say that this cigar is rather complex. Already approachable, a few years in storage should do it good in terms of aroma binding. Not sure about long term maturation.

88 with a potential of 90.

Great review Claudius.

I had one of these at the end of last year - don't know box code but assuming early 07.

At the start I had intense salt flavours for about half an inch of the cigar then it suddenly left otherwise the exact same tastes and flavours.

Does anyone know the reason for the salty smoke taste? Is it a flavour which can be inherent in a cigar or did something go wrong with the storage process which could have been a possibility with the single I smoked.

Very nice review and pics :clap:

» At the start I had intense salt flavours for about half an inch of the

» cigar then it suddenly left otherwise the exact same tastes and flavours.

»

» Does anyone know the reason for the salty smoke taste? Is it a flavour

» which can be inherent in a cigar or did something go wrong with the

» storage process which could have been a possibility with the single I

» smoked.

In many cigars, I often taste salt in the initial puffs. I don't think it's a flaw of any kind, and I actually

enjoy it. I just hope it's not for the reason CIGARHead alluded to, and Zuma so kindly recalled :-)

» Very nice review and pics :clap:

»

» » At the start I had intense salt flavours for about half an inch of the

» » cigar then it suddenly left otherwise the exact same tastes and

» flavours.

» »

» » Does anyone know the reason for the salty smoke taste? Is it a flavour

» » which can be inherent in a cigar or did something go wrong with the

» » storage process which could have been a possibility with the single I

» » smoked.

»

» In many cigars, I often taste salt in the initial puffs. I don't think

» it's a flaw of any kind, and I actually

» enjoy it. I just hope it's not for the reason CIGARHead alluded to, and

» Zuma so kindly recalled :-)

After looking at that photo I think salt is the least of my problems :-D

• 9 months later...

» Does anyone know the reason for the salty smoke taste? Is it a flavour which can be inherent in a cigar or did something go wrong with the storage process which could have been a possibility with the single I smoked.

It was Cigarhead who made the connection to the salty taste (see [link=http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=36684&page=0&category=Classic+Posts&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC]Link[/link])... after seeing this picture::lookaround:

image5424.jpg

Oh... and thanx Claudius for the nice review...:ok:

» » Does anyone know the reason for the salty smoke taste? Is it a flavour

» which can be inherent in a cigar or did something go wrong with the

» storage process which could have been a possibility with the single I

» smoked.

»

» It was Cigarhead who made the connection to the salty taste (see

» [link=http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=36684&page=0&category=Classic+Posts&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC]Link[/link])...

» after seeing this picture::lookaround:

»

» image5424.jpg

»

»

» Oh... and thanx Claudius for the nice review...:ok:

:lol2: I remember that!

Claudius, very nice pics and review. I havent given the Montecarlo a chance. I may just have to pick up a box.