Drinking and Serving Cognac

crossbow

» Does anyone know how cognac is served? Is it room temp or heated?

» Also what are good cognacs but one that wont break the bank?

»

» Thank you

Agree must be a balloon glass which can be warmed. Just run it under warm water and appreciate the aroma. Remy is good.

Guest Warren

I would have to agree with the other guys. Cognac is one of those drinks you just can't drink out of a jam jar. Do your self a favour and get a balloon style glass at least. It's the sort of drink you can sit on for ages , a little sip , swirl it around , have a sniff and repeat.

Don't fill the glass too much , just a little in the bottom .

Keep it warm and take it slow. I think it's one of those drinks you have to be patient with and learn to like. And yes try to go for the VSOP end of the scale. It'll cost more but it's a little easier on the pallet.

Gee where's Ken when you need him :lookaround:

» Don't fill the glass too much , just a little in the bottom .

Yep, should be able to lay it on it's side without spilling.

You can then roll it rather than swill it.

However there is a great feeling of holding the stem twixt 2nd and third finger and the ballon held in the cupped hand, keeping it warm. The bouquet from the narrowed funnel is intoxicating in itself. Gee, I wish I wasn't at work.

I prefer brandy to Scotch as I used to get quite loud and aggressive on the latter, whereas brandy/cognac is very mellowing.

As a teenager, in the 50's:-( , I would walk round with a half bottle of Scotch in my pocket, till I discovered pot. You could buy an 1/8th for a £ in those days.

We suffer teenage binge drinking in this country now where the legal limit is 18. After visiting modern day NY, we have a lot to learn in London. If Giuliani don't make President, you can send him over here to sort our lot out. One cabbie claimed that NY is now one of the safest cities in the world.

Mel39

Welcome back from NY Mel. I will have to look in my diary and fix a date in the early spring perhaps for a London cigar.

Re - cognac - isn't a snifter glass just another name for a balloon / cognac glass ? At least that was my understanding. Also if you have an espresso machine, you should try steaming the glass first then pouring the cognac and putting a serviette on top to keep the aromas sealed before serving.

I have a bottle of Hine Rare VSOP right now which is fantastic. Very smooth - pure quality. To top it all off the House of Hine was founded by an Englishman - so this makes any French product immediately more acceptable :) Great bottle design too - take a look http://www.hinecognac.com/e210uk_blend_rare.htm

I've been using stemless wine glasses for cognac - there are some members who feel this is a better

use for them than wine.....

Mel, I think you can be pretty sure that there's teenage drinking going on all across the U.S. as well :-)

» Does anyone know how cognac is served? Is it room temp or heated?

» Also what are good cognacs but one that wont break the bank?

»

» Thank you

Cognac and "wont break the bank" are unfortunately difficult to associate. That said, Delamain XO should be reasonable (60 EUR in Europe) and is a good Cognac. Much better than the usual VSOPs anyway. If you have to go with the mainstream stuff, get Rémy Martin rather than Hennesey. Hennesey has been less consistent in quality these past years...

I'm not a fan of the traditional Cognac glasses. Their shape makes for a huge contact patch of beverage and air and concentrates alcohol (not aroma) to your nose and is likely to make you cry if you inhale deeply. Try the same with a tulip shaped cognac / rum glass and you'll smell the fruit :-)

Big contact patch, huge volume (alcohol evaporates into glass) --> alcohol smell

330548.jpg

Smaller contact patch, small volume --> aroma

416-71full2.jpg

» I've been using stemless wine glasses for cognac - there are some members

» who feel this is a better

» use for them than wine.....

» Mel, I think you can be pretty sure that there's teenage drinking going on

» all across the U.S. as well :-)

Possibly but I was impressed with the way bar staff at the Holiday Inn enforced the law by insisting on ID.

You have to be in diapers to be refused a drink over here.

» Welcome back from NY Mel. I will have to look in my diary and fix a date

» in the early spring perhaps for a London cigar.

Have been contacted by Chris and Brad, FOH members who are visiting London.

Meeting with them tomorrow, Saturday at 2.00pm at JJs.

Mel39

» Possibly but I was impressed with the way bar staff at the Holiday Inn

» enforced the law by insisting on ID.

» You have to be in diapers to be refused a drink over here.

No question - I should have added that it goes on but you don't really see it, as IDs are checked almost

everywhere, and are becoming increasingly difficult to forge.

Local police will sometimes intentionally send minors into bars and liquor stores to see if they get served.

» Mel39: enforced the law by insisting on ID.

» » You have to be in diapers to be refused a drink over here.

»

» Colt45: No question - I should have added that it goes on but you don't really see

» it, as IDs are checked almost

» everywhere, and are becoming increasingly difficult to forge.

» Local police will sometimes intentionally send minors into bars and liquor

» stores to see if they get served.

Mel, enforcement in the US on alcohol and tobacco can get down right Nazi at times. Even 15 years ago in Los Angeles, it was next to impossible to buy alcohol when I was underage. Unfortunately, in places like LA that creates a real drug use problem. Can't get the liquor store to sell you booze? No problem, most of your friends can score you pot or something harder with a phone call.

Half my family is a bunch of lovable drunks living in Yorkshire, and they are going nowhere fast. But they never seem to get wrapped into the criminal crap my cousins in Los Angeles always find themselves.

On an actual cognac note, does anyone remember the Carneros Alambic Distillery in Napa. Short story is they had some fantastic brandies at phenomenal prices (kinda hard to believe that you can equate Napa with bargain). They were so good that LVMH bought them out around 2003 and closed them down. I’m wondering if anyone knows where I might find any of their remaining stock.

Having been away from Cogac for a while I have started buying the Remy 1738 which is very reasonable here at 40-50 bucks.

I drink it at room temp or with soda water and ice which I enjoy very much when I want to stretch it with a DC or Churchill. :ok:

» I'm not a fan of the traditional Cognac glasses. Their shape makes for a

» huge contact patch of beverage and air and concentrates alcohol (not

» aroma) to your nose and is likely to make you cry if you inhale deeply.

Claudius is right about the baloon glasses making you cry. This is why I always tend to blow some air in the glass before I take a sip.

But the traditional glasses are better to "heaten up" the spirit with your own palm. And that is essential.

And the effect of a runny nose or crying eyes goes away anyway after the sixth or seventh glass :-D

And forget about Cognac my friend. Try Spanish Brandy de Jerez!