Damned cat litter

Can these beads be dried and re-used ? Still haven't got a ship confirmation on my Boveda calibration stuff and on all 3 hygros my box is still running 70rh ....It came down to 67 but is now going back up...can this stuff be re used or better to visit Petsmart again ???

Yes, The crystals can be dried out with a Hair Dryer if needed.

With the humidity running nearly 100% here in Florida, I was on the phone with Bob S yesterday, and he mentioned that in areas of extreme humidity, that use of some "Damp-Rid" would not be out of order to drop the RH in a Cabinet.

What I don't understand is the house RH is at 56% with the A/C running now...There seems to be no way for room air to get into the box anyway so I can't understand where this humidity is coming from unless the cigars/wood is still holding moisture. I'll keep using the beads until I can re-calibrate. The unit that comes with the Aristo is supposed to be a pretty good electronic device and it is telling me 70-72 % too. Cigars seem fine.

I was on the phone

» with Bob S yesterday, and he mentioned that in areas of extreme humidity,

» that use of some "Damp-Rid" would not be out of order to drop the RH in a

» Cabinet.

Chuck...Damp Rid knocked it down quickly. I put 3 of the smaller containers in and within 2 days its down to 66 % rh. The electronic unit supplied by Bob is presumed to be very accurate...but I am waiting for the Boveda kit and adjustable digital to make sure I am on the right track.

» Can these beads be dried and re-used ? Still haven't got a ship

» confirmation on my Boveda calibration stuff and on all 3 hygros my box is

» still running 70rh ....It came down to 67 but is now going back up...can

» this stuff be re used or better to visit Petsmart again ???

It depends on what level you conditioned the KL to before you put them into the humi along with how much you're using in relation to the volume of space that needs to be humidified.

You can dry them out and reuse them, but I think you might have to recondition the set point of the beads if you put them into the oven to dry them out.

» You can dry them out and reuse them, but I think you might have to

» recondition the set point of the beads if you put them into the oven to

» dry them out.

Will you need a cat to reset the cat-litter beads to their "ideal" set point? or would DIY work?

» I bought beads from Mark and have nada/zilch/zero problem keeping my

» coolidor right where I want it. They're the best!:ok:

I gotta concur with this. I bought some beads a few weeks back and I couldn't be happier.

» I bought beads from Mark and have nada/zilch/zero problem keeping my

» coolidor right where I want it. They're the best!:ok:

65% beads worked fine in my end table humi. The new Aristocrat is much larger, brand new,and every inch is full already. I had 2 sleeves of beads, and 2lb cat litter ! I have a calibration kit on the way from Mark anyway. But just top be safe..thinking not all of my hygros are way off...I want it below 68% until I can figure it out. I think the box itself has to season and dry out a bit.

I got a pound of Mark's fine humidity control beads (65%) all the way down to OZ and I have had zero problems with humidity control... However, I seriously doubt that his beads are equivalent to kitty-litter beads -- as the present course of the thread seems to imply... or I am wrong?

» I dont think its a matter of what we use..the thread was just about me

» getting the setup correct.

Thanx smokum for your clarification... as penance for my asinine comments, I shall write 1001 times: "I must learn to read English properly before commenting inanely"...

I hope you get your beautiful humidor in perfect order. Cheers!

» I dont think its a matter of what we use...

Like size, it does matter. Kitty litter beads are meant to absorb humidity, not maintain levels within 1%RH. Not to piss in Mark’s pocket, I wouldn't look elsewhere.

Using kitty litter on that many sticks is kinda like scrimping on my life-saving device (parachute); it’s just not worth taking the chance.

:no:

I agree on not taking chances. I just need to get it stabilized and calibrated. I have no problems with the 65%RH beads. They work great. I just needed to get it down from 72-74 as quick as possible. The Damp Rid pulled it down quick. Its not a long term solution. Just a quick fix until things settle down.