Partagas Piramides EL \'00 OSU DIC00

I've been wanting to give one of these beautiful Piramides a try ever since getting the box several weeks ago. For the amount of money I paid for these, I was expecting a superstar cigar, and thats what I got :-D .

I remember when asking about these a month or so ago what these were like, most said they were very earthy and very strong. I think Wilkey said they tasted like dirt (I think he meant that in a good way). They were dead-on in their analysis. The wrapper is lighter than most EL's but still a darker shade of colorado. The wrapper is somewhat rough, although there are few veins. Good solid bunch with a scent of pepper to the nose.

P3150149.jpg

P3150150.jpg

P3150152.jpg

The cigar's burn starts off great and the draw is fantastic. Lots and lots of smoke throughout. Strong earthy notes are immediately present and so is a little spice. Very full-bodied and somewhat strong. The flavor profile reminds me of the '98 Partagas Lusis I have, only more powerful and spicier. There is absolutely nothing in common in terms of flavor with recent production Partagas.

P3150153.jpg

Several inches in and there are notes of vanilla and a light overtone of sweetness. For several puffs there is a strong coffee taste but this is soon gone. This cigar is most certainly earthy and there is no point that it lets up. I really can't think of the a good adjective to describe the earthiness other that to say it is woody, but in a good way.

P3150154.jpg

The burn is not quite as sharp as I would have expected. Never really got off on me, but did require several touch-ups. The ash is strong and is a darker gray shade. After the half-way point, the cigar's strength is not really noticeable, but it retains the full-bodied flavor and balance. Also, most of the spice I initially noticed seems to have disappeared. Now with the woody flavors, the cigar becomes very creamy.

P3150155.jpg

As the cigar gets down to the last couple of inches, the earthiness is becoming fainter and strong coffee is coming back. This mixed with the creaminess of the cigar and the Newcastle ale, is a fantastic experience. I let the cigar go with half-an-inch left as it has become very hot.

P3150156.jpg

Overall: Solid 93-94 in my highly subjective rating system. One complaint I have for the Partagas is the short finish. After each puff, the flavors left me after a short while. I also can't believe this cigar has hit its peak just yet. There seems to be a lot more that can come out of it. This cigar is most certainly not for everyone. Its profile takes some getting used to just like my '98 Lusis did. Another surprise I found was that it was not as strong as I was expecting. Now, I did have a little buzz afterwards. but the Cohiba Piramide EL was a little stronger imo. If I had to decide between the Partagas and Cohiba, given they cost me about the same per stick, I really don't know which one I would choose. They are completely different in everything but shape, and yet I love them both (after one cigar :-P ) equally. Go figure.

Finally, I took today and tomorrow off as vacation days and I can't think of a better way to spend them. Watching the tourney, smoking wonderful cigars, and drinking one of my favorite beers. Today, gentlemen, is why I love cigars!

now i wish you guys wouldn't do things like this. i have one box left that i have sitting away, quietly ageing. then along comes this review and it is all i can do to stop rushing out and cracking the box. i went through quite a lot of these in the early days (by the box, they were just under A$22 a stick from rob. hate to think what they'd be now.

i have always thought of these as one of the very best of the LE range, even though it is a few years since i last checked them out.

have a few left from a box my buddy bought from the UK that were largely plugged. hope mine are not. They were way too young then need lots of time.

» Nice review with great pictures! Thanks!

»

» The wrapper certainly is on the "lighter" colour side.

I would agree that the review was awesome, if someone handed me that cigar w/out the EL band I never would have thought it to be a typical EL 2 year aged maduro wrapper. I have had several boxes of these and never spotted a wrapper that light.:lookaround:

» » Nice review with great pictures! Thanks!

» »

» » The wrapper certainly is on the "lighter" colour side.

»

» I would agree that the review was awesome, if someone handed me that cigar

» w/out the EL band I never would have thought it to be a typical EL 2 year

» aged maduro wrapper. I have had several boxes of these and never spotted

» a wrapper that light.:lookaround:

I've never seen ELs that light either. The bunching looks lose too.

A bit off topic, but I prefer a wrapper lighter in shade - what I call Bolivar or VR tan.

I was thinking about this recently, while smoking a Montecristo No.5. The No.5s,

and No.4s in my posession have very dark wrappers, and are noticeably thick

while burning.

I guess it's really a matter of aesthetics, and a tactile sense as well, but all other

things being equal, I'll take a deep tan wrapper over a dark wrapper every time.

» » » Nice review with great pictures! Thanks!

» » »

» » » The wrapper certainly is on the "lighter" colour side.

» »

» » I would agree that the review was awesome, if someone handed me that

» cigar

» » w/out the EL band I never would have thought it to be a typical EL 2

» year

» » aged maduro wrapper. I have had several boxes of these and never

» spotted

» » a wrapper that light.:lookaround:

»

» I've never seen ELs that light either. The bunching looks lose too.

Geez guys, go ahead and call 'em fakes while your at it :lol2:!

I've actually seen these with EVEN lighter wrappers than mine! I have also seen some (not very many) with the darker ones that resemble the newer EL releases.

I'm surprised no one else mentioned the loose bunch at the foot. I looked at most of the top row and the rest were pretty good, some a little tight however. I remember a CA article that talked about when these first came out, the author had to go through three before they would finally draw!

To tell you the truth thats the prettiest EL i have ever seen and the lightest ever.

Out of all the Partagas Piramides EL's i have seen all have been Maduro colour.

» Geez guys, go ahead and call 'em fakes while your at it :lol2:!

I am not implying anything here. I was simply surprised since the ones I have seen all have been darker. But I did not see that many anyway.

Apart from your taste description it sure sounds like a genuine EL! :ok:

» I remember a CA article that talked about when these first came

» out, the author had to go through three before they would finally draw!

Mr. S. smoked them right out of a box coming directly from Cuba. He should have waited for 10 years. :-D (Does not allways help...)