A good Champagne that isn\'t TOO expensive

Black Plague

And I mean REAL Champagne, not that **** that Korbel calls "champagne." I mean Champagne from the actual Champagne AOC.

...but I don't want to pay Dom Pérignon prices either.

If it helps, the occassion is my girlfriend being accepted to nursing school at IUPUI. So, for her tastes, something a little lighter and sweeter would probably be preferable. Perhaps a blanc de blancs?

Help me out, wine snobs! Thanks in advance. Smile

You should expect to pay at least $30, but probably closer to $40 for an "average"

bottle of decent champagne. I had some Taittinger, and Pol Roger over the holidays.

Both were nice. I also like Veueve Clicquot, but it's become a bit pricey / trendy.

Maybe a nice pink Champagne for the occasion?

To be quite honest, I really enjoy a good prosecco, and nice ones can be had for

half the price or so of Champagne, but that's just me.

Good luck, and congrats!

» And I mean REAL Champagne, not that **** that Korbel calls "champagne." I

» mean Champagne from the actual Champagne AOC.

»

» ...but I don't want to pay Dom Pérignon prices either.

»

» If it helps, the occassion is my girlfriend being accepted to nursing

» school at IUPUI. So, for her tastes, something a little lighter and

» sweeter would probably be preferable. Perhaps a blanc de blancs?

»

» Help me out, wine snobs! Thanks in advance. Smile

Lemme wiegh in on this one... I DO like champagne, and I have the empty wallet to prove it. Piper Hiedsick is a great value at around $35 (US) and if you can find Bollinger for $40-$45 that would be a great wine at a bargain too. Both of these are full of toast and citrus flavors, the Bollinger may be slightly more yeasty ( a good thing, in my opinion) If you must have a "light" tasting champagne, You may want to try a Perrier Jouet. It's a very floral easy to drink bottle, although not a true "Blankety-blank". Congrats on your girlfriends' new horizons. Her choice is quite admirable...

For a good, sweeter champage I would recommend demi-sec (half-dry). Veuve Cliquot makes a very good demi-sec, around 50 bucks I think.

Unfortunately, in my experience, the difference between good champagne and marginal champagne is a good deal of money.

» For a good, sweeter champage I would recommend demi-sec (half-dry). Veuve

» Cliquot makes a very good demi-sec, around 50 bucks I think.

»

» Unfortunately, in my experience, the difference between good champagne and

» marginal champagne is a good deal of money.

I'll second the Vueve Cliquot @ $40. I also like the Wise Old Owl's choices. Another is Met & Chandon White Star @ $35.

Our house pour is Pol Roger NV. Pure apple and pear and nothing comes close that is readily available IMHO.

We have been drinking quite a bit of Ayala Champagne of late. Owned by Bollinger and quite excellent.

Anyone ever tried GOSSET? This is a very delicate brut that is absolutely superb IMHO.

Definately a smaller wine house, perhaps not readily available, but the standard Gosset is about the same price as other large production champagnes. It can be had in the UK for around £20 on the net.

At present im living in the ardeche area of southern france if you can manage to find some Rosé or even sparkling from this region its very very good.

Otherwise I still like Moet et Chandons Dom Perignon which I could probably spare a couple of bottles or the 1999 vintage which is only about 40 usd

» And I mean REAL Champagne, not that **** that Korbel calls "champagne." I

» mean Champagne from the actual Champagne AOC.

»

» ...but I don't want to pay Dom Pérignon prices either.

»

» If it helps, the occassion is my girlfriend being accepted to nursing

» school at IUPUI. So, for her tastes, something a little lighter and

» sweeter would probably be preferable. Perhaps a blanc de blancs?

»

» Help me out, wine snobs! Thanks in advance. Smile

Most of the aforementioned champagnes have a solid acidity, which is ok to most people, but girls (and myself :-P) generally like it a little "sweeter" as in less acidity (not actually sweet = sugary). If this is what you'd like, try the Taittinger Réserve Brut. Or Duval Leroy Rosé de Saignée (if you can find it where you are), probably the best rosé for under 100 (actual price is about 30).

Remember to keep champagne away from light, to let it rest at least for a week after purchase / transportation (or it will taste "green") and to put it in the fridge 1 or 2 days before drinking it. Ideal temperature to drink it is between 6 and 8°C.

» Our house pour is Pol Roger NV. Pure apple and pear

I used to drink a whole bottle a day of this stuff back in the days I lived in Champagne about 10 Years ago. Subsequently, it has been on and off. Will have to try it again! Santé! :-D

» Our house pour is Pol Roger NV. Pure apple and pear and nothing comes close

» that is readily available IMHO.

»

» We have been drinking quite a bit of Ayala Champagne of late. Owned by

» Bollinger and quite excellent.

Does it have a white label? I have been trying to find some of the aforementioned wines, and the Pol Roger is described as having a white label - take it that is the usual?

» Anyone ever tried GOSSET? This is a very delicate brut that is absolutely

» superb IMHO.

»

» Definately a smaller wine house, perhaps not readily available, but the

» standard Gosset is about the same price as other large production

» champagnes. It can be had in the UK for around £20 on the net.

big fan of gosset. they make some seriously good champers, though i would have had them more at the other end of the spectrum, rather than delicate. guess it is all relative. they use quite a bit of pinot noir and the grande millisime can be brilliant. i bought a heap of 1996 that i was going to put to the annual fishing trip but then i thought why waste it oin those buggers.

and dom 99 for only 40 pounds? sounds amazingly cheap or bereft of taxes.

hard to make too many recommendations from down here without knowing what the local stores have.