Arturo Fuente Anejo #50 vs. Cohiba Siglo V

Mike33

I posted this review on another forum and thought it would be interesting to share here. Both are very different cigars and here were my takes on each:

Well, I decided since it was a little warmer these last couple of afternoons, I would fire up some nicer long-lasting smokes. I smoked my first Anejo #50 yesterday and my first Siglo V today ('01 but I don't have a box code :-( ). I have only had a handful of both Anejos and Cohibas, but I had expected the Siglo from '01 would be a lot better than the Anejo.

Both are good looking cigars, the Cohiba is a really light claro wrapper that looks perfectly bunched at the foot. The Anejo is gorgeous with an oily wrapper that gives it a slight sheen in the sunlight. I clip the cap on both and take a dry draw. Both have excellent draws and produce great amounts of smokes throughout.

P2040070.jpg

P2060079.jpg

On to the flavors. The Anejo is just like I have experienced with others. Wonderful earthy notes that mix sweetness with a strong leather flavor. The sweetness that I describe as molasses becomes present about an inch into the cigar and stays with me till the end. One thing the #50 had that I never experienced with other Anejos was a chary, almost charcoal taste that was very pleasant.

The Siglo V was a real flavor bomb for the most part. It started off with the signature Cohiba grassy-ness, but quickly changed over to a vanilla and honey monster. There was little spiciness with the Cohiba and it was more woody than I would have expected. About half-way through, the cigar lost a little bit of its character. There was no longer any signature flavors present, just strong, almost bitter tobacco. This lasted about an inch until it started to come back again. It ended with a strong ceder and saltiness that I had experience in all my previous Cohibas which were considerably younger.

P2040075.jpg

P2060083.jpg

The construction was flawless on the Anejo. Perfect combustion and burn throughout the smoke. Only real complaint was the amount of tar build-up on the end. It was a kind-of "this is going to kick your ass" warning from the cigar! Let me tell you, I had a pretty nice buzz afterwards from the #50. Nothing like I've had before with one of my #49s, but it was there. Overall, it was a very enjoyable smoke. I would give it a 89-90.

The Cohiba's construction was the direct opposite of the Anejo. The burn was razor sharp through the first two inches until a little crack developed in the wrapper. This crack eventually widened and caused some burn issues as well as frustration on my part. The cigar never really recovered after the half-way point as I continued to have burn as well as combustion problems. Unfortunately, I had to let the cigar die with about and inch-and-a-half left because it was getting too damn frustrating to be smoked. Overall, an 85-86 based mainly on how good the cigar was for the first three or so inches. I wouldn't have even gotten through two inches if the cigar started like it ended. I've got another one I will smoke sometime this summer, and hopefully, it'll be a better experience !

P2040078.jpg

P2060088.jpg

Nice review Mike :clap:

I am a big admirer of the consistency of Fuente. It is one area where Havana has needed to get its game together and while trying hard they are 10-15 years away from meeting the blend consistency needed.

I was never a huge fan of the Cohiba Siglo V although I am in the minority. It was not until I tried the 2003/04/05/06 that I have come around. Admittedly my previous experience was late 90's to 02. Smooth yes but I never found it to be the complete package I was looking for ala Lancero or C Robusto.

This was a superb review, with nice pix. You drew a brave conclusion, too, which is surely not welcomed by many Habanophiles.

I have to be in the right mood for an Anejo. It's not an after-dinner smoke for me, but rather an afternoon cigar to be taken with a strong double espresso. It pairs marvelously with this libation, both in strength and flavor. The smoke is as thick as molasses, and fairly drips with italian-roasted coffee beans and bittersweet chocolate liquor.

» Should we bring up the gray slippers on this site too? :-P

I am not ashamed :lol2: !

As I wrote, I really expected the Cohiba to kick the Anejo's ass. I've had a couple of Esplendidos and some robustos that were among the best cigars I've ever had, so the V was a little disappointing. I am not afraid to say I've had quite a few n/c's better than cubans, but on a whole, I do believe cubans are better cigars.

Fuente's do have amazing consistency with the construction of their cigars, however, as many people know including my brother and I, a lot of their cigars have TERRIBLE problems with mold. I've had many Anejo's and Hemmingway Maduros that have been covered with mold. It is pretty frustrating paying large sums of money for some of their cigars and have to worry about mold :-( .

» » Should we bring up the gray slippers on this site too? :-P

»

» I am not ashamed :lol2: !

»

» As I wrote, I really expected the Cohiba to kick the Anejo's ass. I've

» had a couple of Esplendidos and some robustos that were among the best

» cigars I've ever had, so the V was a little disappointing. I am not

» afraid to say I've had quite a few n/c's better than cubans, but on a

» whole, I do believe cubans are better cigars.

»

» Fuente's do have amazing consistency with the construction of their

» cigars, however, as many people know including my brother and I, a lot of

» their cigars have TERRIBLE problems with mold. I've had many Anejo's and

» Hemmingway Maduros that have been covered with mold. It is pretty

» frustrating paying large sums of money for some of their cigars and have

» to worry about mold :-( .

:lol: I don't believe many cigars come close in terms of complexity and journey derived from a great Cuban. However it is akin to that great golf shot you make once a round. It keeps bringing you back but it is oh so elusive. You always remember the time and place of that golf shot....as you do that great cigar ;-)

Neat review.

Other than the original release, which were sublime, I've never thought Anejos lived up to their hype. Consistent for sure, but without the complexity of a Havana on its game. They are a nice change of pace once in awhile though. :)

Excellent review Mike:clap:

I've only had a couple Anejo's and 1 Cohiba Siglo, which was a VI, so I'm no expert but I also didn't feel that the Anejo's lived up to the hype. After I finished an Anejo I found myself thinking "...is that it...I don't get it, why all the fuss..." It was a very good cigar, just didn't blow me away. I guess my expectations were too high, or maybe I need to smoke more:lol2:

The Cohiba was very smooth and creamy, with lots of smoke. I finished thinking "now that was a cigar". It didn't knock my socks off either, but I like a full bodied spice bomb:-D

I love the pics and the slippers by the way!

Dave

Great Review!

These are two of my most favorite lines. With the Sig V being my most favorite cigar in the world.

It would be my suggestion to you to try the Anejo #46. That is my favorite Anejo. I think you would enjoy.

It is my experience that the Sig V should be smoked slowly and the middle is always the best part for me.