Montecristo Petit Edmundo Review (NOV2006)

Not for nothing, but that has got to be one of the worst looking ash's that I have ever seen on a Cuban cigar. I mean it looks like it has ruts in it from being underfilled. Maybe that is why it has such an easy draw, they forgot to put enought tobacco in it.

I smoked one from NOV06 and my experience was very similar to yours. Medium toasted tobacco with grassy notes and touches of coffee and a dark, striated ash. Not a bad smoke but an awkward format. For my money, I'd prefer the robusto or Hermosos No. 4 format.

Wilkey

» Not for nothing, but that has got to be one of the worst looking ash's that

» I have ever seen on a Cuban cigar. I mean it looks like it has ruts in it

» from being underfilled. Maybe that is why it has such an easy draw, they

» forgot to put enought tobacco in it.

It is safe to say that Tampa is a lover of the Edmundo and his little brother the "petit". As we say in Brooklyn, "Don't hate the player, hate the game!". :lol3:

• 1 year later...

Montecristo Petit Edmundo (Nov 06)

110mm x 52 Gauge

I remember sitting down with HAS in July and trying a Petit Edmundo. While the cigar was fuller bodied than its bigger brother, the Monecristo flavour integrity remained. I did question the need for this cigar…..a shape of which I am no fan of. I knew that the HDM Petit Robusto had been a moderate success but certainly less of a success than expected. On the other hand the Monte Edmundo has been a huge success particularly in Europe. I think the success of the Montecristo Edmundo reinforced the thinking that the name “Montecristo” sells. To some extent, they have painted themselves into a corner because guaranteed successful releases need to come from the houses of Cohiba and Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta and. Partagas. Cohiba and Montecristo are still the leaders in recognition for Joe Blow running through an airport divan. Launching a new Punch, LGC, ERDM, Sancho Panza or Rafael Gonzalez would be akin to commercial suicide.

The Montecristo Petit Edmundo will also be available in Aluminium Tubes shortly which again points to its lineage being more Dubai and Heathrow airport than Connoisseur corner.

So all in all….I sill wonder why a Montecristo Robusto was not released. I would much rather smoke a Robusto and if time is running short, ditch the last half inch than buy a cigar a half inch shorter just for the occasion. Then again, if I was so smart then maybe I could have paid $500 million dollars for a half share of HSA

So on the deck of Czar house I ventured with my Montecristo Petit Edmundo

image2151.jpg

image2152.jpg

image2153.jpg

Good looking stick. Wrapper a little on the green shade ….which I don’t mind. Smell at cold was toasted tobacco, a touch of sweet spice and wet grass. The wet grass is always disconcerting as I suspect this cigar is still wet which is not surprising as it had arrived a day earlier from PCC.

Clipped the end and found an easy draw which appears to be an Edmundo Family trait. Toasted tobacco and clean hay on the palate. Torched the foot and the little fella was away. Super clean flavour of …yes…toasted tobacco…cocoa…and hay. I new at this point that the cigar needed another 12 months before it would evolve into a true Montecristo. It is fuller bodied than every other Monte in the stable, but the hay is a dead give away that all is not right at this point in time.

image2155.jpg

Into the halfway point, Smithy and I both remarked that it has been a while since when have had a cigar with such distinct, clean flavours. It was akin to a Neopolitan tub of icecream (Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry) all separated into thirds. Instead of the chocolate/vanilla/strawberry….we had toasted tobacco, cocoa, dry hay. The hay was the flavour I was struggling with. It doesn’t belong in a Montecristo now or ever but I know that it is a component of the flavour which will disappear within three to 12 months.

image2156.jpg

image2157.jpg

I want to try another cigar from this box in June/September and then December. I think you will see remarkable change as it morphs into a classic Montecristo but with a fuller body. To improve it further, they need to tighten the draw a little. The easy draw is robbing flavour and there is no excuse for this to occur.

87/100 3.5/6 smokerings.

Forecast (10 months) 90/100 4/6 smokerings.