Habana Club Questions

Miami101

Folks!

I need help....I have to get some Cuban Rum! I can't take it any more.....It has been over 1 year time for me, and friends.

Does any one know where I can get Habana Club???? In the states.....

If you have any photos please post them.......

» Any one check out the US release of Havana Club????

Is there a US release? It would have to be produced somewhere othere than Cuba,

would it not?

» That's the Kenblend Especial right????? That's the SH!T!!!! :-P

:lol: :lol:

» Havana Club is very much Cuba's export rum. While available in Cuba,

» almost everybody drinks Santiago and Caney (which are superior).

» Until recently, Santiago and Caney were not exported.

Thank you, sir. :-)

» Folks!

» I need help....I have to get some Cuban Rum! I can't take it any

» more.....It has been over 1 year time for me, and friends.

»

» Does any one know where I can get Habana Club???? In the states.....

»

» If you have any photos please post them.......

I have a question for our American Friends. Can you buy Havana Club rum in the USA? I was reading an article that says that Bacardi use the HC trademark to sell Rum in the States. Is this correct and has anybody ever sampled it?

» Ross

»

» Havana Club is very much Cuba's export rum. While available in Cuba,

» almost everybody drinks Santiago and Caney (which are superior).

» Until recently, Santiago and Caney were not exported.

Threadjack!

Where can I get some Santiago and/or Caney in the US! :cool:

End Threadjack!

Here is some information on the US release. I have the US release it is nice, but I like the Cuban release. My wife like the US release. From what I understand they only sale it in Miami for some reason or other. If you can't find it let me know it only cost about 20$ US. The below is more about the laws, but my wife had a good story about the family who created the Rum they live in Miami. I will try to post it up soon.

ARECHABALA FAMILY AND BACARDI CALL SUBMISSION OF TRADEMARK DISPUTE TO WTO MISGUIDED

Brussels, Belgium - Members of the Arechabala family and Bacardi officials today criticised Pernod Ricard for pressuring the European Union to file a claim with the World Trade Organisation (WTO) that is an unwarranted and reckless intrusion into a civil dispute between two business competitors.

Last April, a United States District Court in New York dismissed a suit brought by Havana Club Holdings S.A., a joint venture between Pernod Ricard and the Castro government, against Bacardi. The Court determined that the joint venture has no rights to the Havana Club rum trademark in the United States, thus clearing the way for the Arechabala family and Bacardi to commence U.S. sales of this rum. Now Pernod Ricard has pressured the EU into filing a claim with the WTO in an attempt to politicise a purely civil dispute.

"This is a private civil matter and not in anyway connected to the world trade laws or the WTO," said Jose Manuel Arechabala. "Pernod Ricard knowingly purchased an interest in property that the Castro government illegally confiscated from my family and therefore has no legitimate claim to this trademark. The courts have spoken and reached a fair and just result," he concluded.

Havana Club rum was originally produced and marketed by the Arechabala family. In 1960, Castro confiscated the family's holdings, including the rights to the rum, without compensation. Castro's government then began selling the rum in Cuba under the stolen Havana Club trademark. Since 1993, the Cuban government has been allied with Pernod Ricard to sell Havana Club.

In 1994, Bacardi filed for a trademark for Havana Club rum in the U.S. and began distributing it in New York in 1995, after reaching an agreement in principle with the Arechabalas. The agreement was formalised in 1997.

Most recently, members of the Arechabala family and Bacardi filed a lawsuit against Pernod Ricard and the Cuban government in the Spanish courts to recover the "Havana Club" trademark in Spain.

"Piracy still flourishes in Castro's Cuba. Pernod is in clear violation of standard principles of international law and its backdoor attempt to use the WTO is very transparent," said Jorge Rodriguez-Marquez, Bacardi Vice President of Corporate Communications.

Lawyers on behalf of Bacardi rejected the WTO move as a desperate attempt to keep the issue alive and out of the U.S. court system, where it would continue to be rejected.

During the litigation in New York, the judge ruled in favor of Bacardi citing Section 211 of the U.S. 1998 Omnibus Appropriations Act. "Section 211 is entirely consistent with all international treaties and embodies the principles of international law recognised by the U.S. and Europe," said Doug Gibson, Vice President and General Counsel for Bacardi. "These principles provide that an entity should not be recognised as the owner of a trademark if it was stolen from its rightful owner without payment."

Gibson also noted that the principles have been recognised repeatedly throughout the Western world -- including Western Europe -- following Russian, German and Cuban expropriations.

"However," Gibson emphasised, "the original ruling of the United States District Court that struck down Pernod Ricard's claim to ownership of the Havana Club trademark in the United States occurred in August 1997, well before the October 1998 passage of Section 211."

"Section 211 had nothing to do with that decision," Gibson said. "It resulted from the filing of admittedly false statements with the U.S. Government. Fraud, not Section 211, led to the collapse of the Pernod Ricard/Havana Club Holdings' case. The U.S. District Court in New York looked to Section 211 only in its April 1999 decision, where it dismissed the remaining claims by Pernod. As stated, this is a private civil matter, not connected in any way with the WTO."

Mr. Gibson said that neither Cuba nor Pernod Ricard ever owned any rights to the trademark; Cuba stole the brand without compensation and had nothing to sell to Pernod. Indeed, Pernod tried to buy the trademark from the rightful owner, the Arechabala family, but was unsuccessful.

The Bacardi family founded its rum business in Cuba in 1862 and, similar to the Arechabala family, all of its Cuban assets were expropriated by the Cuban government in 1960. Following 12 years of litigation with the Cuban government, Bacardi was able to regain ownership of all of its international trademarks that Cuba had attempted to expropriate. Bacardi is partnered with the Arechabala family to regain ownership of the Havana Club brand.

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of Bacardi-Arechabala

» Folks!

» I need help....I have to get some Cuban Rum! I can't take it any

» more.....It has been over 1 year time for me, and friends.

»

» Does any one know where I can get Habana Club???? In the states.....

»

» If you have any photos please post them.......

Mmmmmmmm......Haaaaavaaaaanaaaaa Club.......aaaaahhhhhhghghghgh.....

...Umm, sorry about that, I think I channeled Homer Simpson for a second. :-D

Sorry I can't help you, I get mine through a personal friend in another country. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a place, just be careful you don't get burned or pay too much.

This is from the Miami Herald

Bacardi to re-launch Havana Club rum labelAfter a long legal battle, fans will get another taste of Havana Club rum. Bacardi is relaunching the product this week.

BY ELAINE WALKER

[email protected]

Havana Club, the rum that evokes memories of toasts at glittery hot spots in pre-Castro Cuba, is coming this week to Florida bars, liquor stores and hotels.

Coming on the heels of a favorable ruling in a decade-long legal battle with French liquor giant Pernod Ricard and the Cuban government, Miami-based Bacardi U.S.A. is relaunching the Havana Club brand as a super-premium rum selling for $19.99 a bottle.

Thursday, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office deemed the Havana Club trademark held by Cubaexport ``cancelled/expired.''

Bringing Havana Club back to the United States is particularly gratifying for Ramon Arechabala. His family created the rum in 1935, and exported it to the United States and other countries until Jan. 1, 1960, when Fidel Castro's government seized the family's plant and trademark.

Arechabala, former sales manager of the family company, said Monday he vividly remembers the day the bodyguard of Cuban revolutionary Ernesto ''Che'' Guevara placed a gun to his head and took over the Havana Club distillery in Cardenas.

In recent years, Havana Club has been marketed by a joint venture involving Cubaexport, a Cuban government company, and Pernod Ricard. Because of the embargo on Cuba, it was not available in the United States.

`NOT DRINKABLE'

Although that Havana Club is popular in both Cuba and Europe, Arechabala declared it ``not drinkable.''

''Fidel lacks the formula of the right Havana Club,'' said Arechabala, 70, who has lived in Miami for 38 years. ``That's the only thing Fidel couldn't take from me.''

In the mid 1990s, Bacardi cut a deal with the Arechabalas for the rights to the family's recipe and the name Havana Club. The brand was introduced in the United States, but pulled from the shelves when the rum war ignited.

At least for now, however, here will be two versions of Havana Club for sale, one from Bacardi and the other from the Cuban/French joint venture.

Bacardi's new Havana Club will be bottled at the company's rum facilities in Puerto Rico. For now it will be available only in Florida because of limited supply.

LIMITED SUPPLY

But Bacardi executives said Monday that based on response, it will likely be rolled out to other key U.S. markets.

The timing of the Havana Club launch has nothing to do with any recent Cuba interest sparked by Castro's health issues, company executives said. And the U.S. Patent Office ruling was just coincidental with their plans to introduce the brand, they said.

Instead, executive said, it's all about capitalizing on strong consumer demand for super-premium liquor brands and the return of classic cocktails such as the daiquiri and mojito. The rum category, where Bacardi is already the top-selling brand in the world, has also been growing.

''We've been planning this for many years,'' said John Gomez, vice president and group marketing director for Bacardi U.S.A. ``We always owned the brand. There was no issue in our minds. It was only a question of when it was commercially appropriate for the relaunch.''

Cubaexport has claimed it obtained the rights to the Havana Club name in 1976 after José Arechabala S.A. allowed the trademark to lapse with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Cubaexport registered the trademark in 1976, but no compensation was ever provided to the Arechabala family.

U.S. courts have consistently ruled that Havana Club Holdings, the name of the French/Cuban joint venture, has no right to the trademark in the United States.

But the issue of who held the trademark remained unresolved until last week's decision.

Executives from Pernod Ricard were unavailable late Monday afternoon.

Unlike most countries, the United States typically gives priority to the first entity to utilize a brand, not the first to register it, said Miami attorney Jim Gale, whose firm Feldman Gale specializes in trademark and patent law.

But a trademark in one country has no impact on operations in another country, Gale said.

Miami,

Much better rums to be had in America.

Ron Zacapa centenario!

Zaya..

Try those 2 you wont be disappointed!@

Although I do enjoy the HC7 for the sheer fact it is forbidden fruit in the states..

:-D

I haven't had better neat drinking rums than the aged Santiago and Caney releases.

Carlos, what ken and I will do is do a series of photo reviews whille in Havana next month.

We will get a bottle of everything we can find and do a tasting review accompanied by photo's.

Is there no end to my appetite for work? :cool:

» Miami,

»

» Much better rums to be had in America.

»

» Ron Zacapa centenario!

» Zaya..

»

»

» Try those 2 you wont be disappointed!@

»

» Although I do enjoy the HC7 for the sheer fact it is forbidden fruit in

» the states..

» :-DLooking these up right now.

» I haven't had better neat drinking rums than the aged Santiago and Caney

» releases.

»

» Carlos, what ken and I will do is do a series of photo reviews whille in

» Havana next month.

»

» We will get a bottle of everything we can find and do a tasting review

» accompanied by photo's.

»

» Is there no end to my appetite for work? :cool:

These sounds great...I wish I could go, but they are making it very hard......maybe next year.

• 1 year later...