Romeo Y Julieta Churchill ‘98

Romeo Y Julieta Churchill ‘98

7 x 48

I haven’t smoked many Cuban Churchills. It’s ironic that the only other Churchill I’ve smoked from Cuba was a Partagas Lusi from 1998.

opus217.jpg

The wrapper is muted tan in color and contains several veins. There is no rich barnyard smell coming off the stick that you expect from a fresh cigar, only a light tobacco scent can be detected when I put my nose to the foot.

opus219.jpg

It burned very well and the ash as you can see was a fluffy gray with nice black lines throughout. The draw was fine and the taste was exceptional.

opus220.jpg

There was a nice bit of strength to the cigar but nothing that would push it into a full-bodied smoke. The initial flavor was a bit underwhelming because of its one-dimensional woody characteristic. Thankfully this changed after the first inch into a wonderful pattern that was slightly sweet and almost citrus in nature to complement the woody taste of the smoke. There was also a thin vegetal quality that reminded me of how dead flowers smell. The finish was still predominantly woody but the other flavors came through nicely and I got to say that this was truly a tasty cigar. I cannot begin to describe to you the wonderful mellow feeling which came over me as I sipped three fingers of 14yo scotch and enjoyed this smoke.

opus221.jpg

I’ve got to thank my brother for gifting me five of these for my graduation. I’m interested in hearing from others on their taste experience with RyJ Churchills old or young.

Bloody nice review :ok::clap:

I have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed R&J Churchills from the 70's,80's,90's and current decade over the past year. Each has been stored by a local client of mine in identical conditions.

Surprisingly, my preference was a 96 R&J Churchill. It still retained the sweet fruit charachter which is essential to an R&J (my opinion only). I found that the 76 and 82 versions had lost this essential element. Super smooth and refined no doubt.....just not my style.

Very nice review. :-)

I've never been a huge fan of these - they've struck me as a bit more floral than I like - but when the mood strikes, I'll go for one.

Just a side note, Partgas Lusis are Prominentes, whereas RyJ Churchills are Julieta No. 2s.

I cannot begin to describe to you the wonderful mellow feeling which came over me as I sipped three fingers of 14yo scotch and enjoyed this smoke.

Ah, yes... very nice review. I really appreciated the pix.

I'm with you, Prez. Up to about 10 years, and the RyJ Churchills are still flavorful. But much after that, and they become too "tea-like", with muted flavors, and not enough fruity-citrus for me.

A lot of people were suspicious that '98 wasn't a good year, because of the profundity of 1998 vintage smokes on the market............if it wasn't a good year, well it GOT good! I've had the pleasure of a few '98 RyJ Churchills (only one left in the humi :-( ), and I agree 100% with you!

I smoked through a half a box of these and decided to get another. It's been sitting for a while now at the bottom of the humi. I really enjoy this smoke and your description of how you felt near the end is why I love em.

» The wrapper is muted tan in color and contains several veins. There is no

» rich barnyard smell coming off the stick that you expect from a fresh

» cigar, only a light tobacco scent can be detected when I put my nose to

» the foot.

I've found storage to be a critical element with these. In my experience, the "tubos" version appears to retain the delicate bouquet and flavors better than the semi plain box version. Of course, those that have vacuum sealed their SPB's stand to preserve better as well. I've sampled many boxes of '98's that have ranged from flat to simply outstanding. These are one of my favorite cigars. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and nice review!

» » The wrapper is muted tan in color and contains several veins. There is

» no

» » rich barnyard smell coming off the stick that you expect from a fresh

» » cigar, only a light tobacco scent can be detected when I put my nose to

» » the foot.

»

» I've found storage to be a critical element with these. In my experience,

» the "tubos" version appears to retain the delicate bouquet and flavors

» better than the semi plain box version. Of course, those that have vacuum

» sealed their SPB's stand to preserve better as well. I've sampled many

» boxes of '98's that have ranged from flat to simply outstanding. These are

» one of my favorite cigars. Thanks for taking the time to share your

» experience and nice review!

I agree completely on the tubos versions.