What Non Cubans are in your rotation?

I enjoy a non Cuban occasionally as a change of pace. Padron Anny's, Padron 1926 and OPUS Perfeccion No 2.

What else is worth while considering as part of our rotation. Keep in mind that non US members have grown up on Habanos so the cigars that appeal can be lighter in body but would need to be complex in flavour....a little different.

Here is a brief list of cigars that have been launched here and have failed to establish a toehold. Most are now a distant memory.

Puros Indios.

Greycliffe

La Perla

El Credito

Good call El P.

My experience with no-cubans, although limited, has been one of disappointment.

There has always been something missing. I can best describe them (non-cubans) as Lightweight. No gravitas. No complexity of flavours.

Consequently they don't float my boat.

A bit like blondes. All show, no go.

:no:

Swisher Sweets watermelon flavor.....5-packs in a stay-fresh pouch for 99 cents on sale at the gas station. I miss the white plastic tips though.

I really don't like that thing on the side of the box that says "made of primarily tobacco products" though :-(

» Why am I not surprised.

»

» ....that is why you hurled on your first D4 :-D

After I found Cubans , I have had 2 Nons' Opus xXx, and Ashton VSG.

They were not satisfying at all. So I have 1 non cuban cigar in my cabinet ,and that is out of over 1000 cigars. It is a Graycliff Expresso (belicosa). I had it rolled 2 years ago at the factory for my 10 year wedding anniversery. Was going to smoke it on our 11th anny but never found the time. So it just lay there till next May 14th.

Had one El Credito that was completely underfilled and completely lacked any consistent draw. I gave a few La Perla's a run about two years ago (the maduro wrapper) that I found quite sweet but haven't had any of either for a while.

The Padron Anny's with a maduro wrapper - especially the torp! I tried a Davidoff 2000 once. Looked great. Great draw. Very smooth. But tasted bland when compared to cubans. Kind of like when you first tried Skinny Milk in plastic when you were brought up on bottled full cream milk.

I'm a bit surprised to see this topic here, but here's my two cents...

I'm down to my last half dozen Bahia trinidad robustos. They're the

original corojo '96 blend. Some may think me a heretic, but they're easily a match for any cigar I have ever smoked. (boxed in October 2000).

A also like some of the AVOs, particularly the domaine line. Made by Davidoff, their construction is second to none.

For Fuente, I prefer The Don Carlos and Hemingway to the Opus, and I feel the regular Padron line is a far better value than the anniversary series.

If available, I would suggest trying the Bahia Gold white label. It has

all the potential to be an outstanding smoke.

I enjoy a non Cuban occasionally also. Padron Anny's, Padron 3000 preferablly maduro (imo best value non Cuban cigar) Fuente Anejo's, Hemimngway Maduros and 858 SG are always in the humi. 95% of the time though its a habano that I reach for.

Colt.

There is always a slight fascination with those outside of the US about what is new. It is natural given the cigar media is 90% US based.

To me it is very much a Holy Grail search. I am always looking for the Complexity of a Padron Anny and the body of a Juan Lopez Seleccion No 1. ........Yes I know I have just described a perfectly rolled Sancho Panza Molinos :lol:

I love the flavour kaleidescope that is Habanos. Nothing comes close but there are those out there that have occasionally approached the summit.

I met Tony of Bahia in 1999 and thoroughly enjoyed the Bahia Gold. I was going to bring it into Australia but simply couldn't deal with Tony or the Prima Donna's around him. At their height they were cigar popstars. Two years later when i revisited the Bahia Gold it was a completely differnt cigar. Hat's off however...that first effort was excellent and was one of only 4 cigars I have tried in the US which made me stop, prop and look.

The second was gifted to me late one night by an industry shyster. I didn't like his normal run of the mill stuff and he pulled this prototype out of his pocket. Nice Toro size Ecuadorian puro using a very black and sweet swamp tobacco in the filler (so I was told). I loved the cigar..it was rich, dank and tasted like stewed ripe fruit. Super. I ordered 200 on the spot as an advance shipment of 2000. The 200 arrived in Australia and we labelled them Czar Imperiales. Man what a hit. We launched them at a cigar dinner and the written tasting responses were on average 91 out of 100. The balance of the shipment was presold. Unfortunately it was rancid crap and completely different blend to what had been agreed to. They were black pepper strong with no redeeming features. I was devastated. What went wrong? Well they simply could not replicate the blend. If they could I would buy 10,000 today.

In the end it took 3 years and the unrelenting effort of three boardmembers here to get most of my money back. I will never forget their efforts.

I remember a La Luna pre production which was excellent but turned into crapster when in full production. Similarly a figurardo by Bradley which was superb at an RTDA only to loose half it's stength and flavour when in production.

I enjoy Don Carlos (perhaps the best US line). I find VSG too one dimensional. When an Opus is on it is excellent but I still have to light it 20 times (no offense Carlito), Padron Anny's are increasingly too light for my tastes and the 1926 too expensive. Perdomo are a disgrace

Always looking ;-)

I enjoy the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Silver and Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon as changes of pace to cubans. From time to time I'll smoke a Padron Anny Maduro or Fuente Anejo, but for a non cuban, I'll stick to Torano.:-D

Rob, I agree with you 100% regarding the Bahia gold. The original ones rolled in Costa Rica were superior to the latter Nicaraguans.

One of Tambor's problems is that they didn't /don't grow their own tobacco, and they definately had a problem with consistancy.

Habanos-90% Non-10% I think that the only non Cuban that can compete and stand on its own is the Opus X. I have smoked one of these after a good Cuban and saw no drop in performance. Ashton VSG and Padron Anv and Serie 26 40th Anv. follow.

I have seen a good Domestic beat a less than stellar Habanos.