Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2 (NOV 05)V(MAR 06)

Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2 (NOV 05)

Many of you know that I am a Juan Lopez *****. I have to stop myself continuously reaching for a JL Seleccion No 1 whenever I open the home Humidor. Pulling my hand away from that gorgeous corona gorda I force myself elsewhere....to the HDM Des Dieux..."NO ROB...must .....try.....something....else...."

And so it was Friday afternoon as I resisted the temptation from my "go to" smokes to finally select a pretty little Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2. This Robusto is habitually looked over by many for D4's, CORO, RASS, BORC, Exhibicion 4's....and it shouldn't be. The JLS2 is something special for those who know their cigars.

Smell at cold is quality tobacco and a floral essence reminiscent of faint lavender. Construction was perfect. Weight in hand spot on. No hard or soft spots evident. Pinched the cap and found the draw to be refreshingly on the tighter side of easy. Nice tobacco flavours. Slight salty /sweetness on the lips.

Gently applied the Blazer (never direct) and touched up the burn before allowing the first few mm to burn away and allow the JLS1 to find it's feet.

Light to Medium Bodied. Initial flavour of toasted tobacco, toasted breakfast oats and high quality srong ceylon tea with a dash of cream. What a great mid morning cigar.

Into the second third, the oaty flavour intensified. The toasted tobacco flavour lingered buit was joined with a hint of citrus peel. Nice touch. Citrus notes did not hang around as the cigar reverted back to it's core oats and tobacco profile. The cigar became ragged toward the back end but tried to hold it's composure.

How does it compare? Well I would pick an 06 BORC or 06 RASS everytime for sheer flavour intensity. If I wanted a light bodied complex cigar then the JL Seleccion No 1 of HDM Le Hoyo Des Dieux would be selected first. The JLS2 is very enjoyable and distinctive.

I will try a JLS2 March 06 today and see how it compares.

Will do a part II to this review tomorrow.

Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2 (March 06)

Enjoyed with a bottle of Gago Temperanillo as I tapped on the laptop.

Lovely Colorado maduro. Smell at cold was intense dried horse manure....pungeant.

Pinched the cap to reveal a perfect draw...just requiring a slight pull.

Lit the cigar...vast volumes of smoke and white pepper.....WHOA Baby....settle down.

It took little more than a few mm for the cigar to get into stride. Full Bodied, slightly confused and looking for direction. Way fuller than any JLS2 I have tried. RASS strength.

10mm in and it is as if this racehorse had been kicked in the side, reigned in and put on a winning path. Gone was the pepper and full body. The throttle was pulled back to Medium and in came the most sensuous light toffee sweetness which lasted to the final half inch. There was milk coffee there, some peat, a citrus tang but the sweetness was impressive and combined with the medium body, almost Por Larranaga like. Immensely pleasureable. It did become a tad bitter towards the last half inch but nothing this cigar did at that point could disappoint.

Solid 90 I am coming to the conclusion that ENE06 saw the commencement of the aged ligero program. What a huge difference it is making.

Thanks for the review, fearless leader! I really like the JLS2. It's one of my favorite robustos. I consistently prefer it to the Cohiba. However, I am always surprised by the flavors that reviewers describe, your review included.

I have always found the JLS2 to be a spicy cigar, with an underlying cedar and caramel profile, layered with tart citrus. When young, it can pack a punch. With a couple of years, it becomes smooth and creamy. If I were a JLS2, I would select the PLPC as my "mini me".

Interesting how different palates perceive cigars, eh?

Very nice man. Ive been burning through a box of JL no.1s pretty quick here, actually just finished one a few minutes ago and loved it. Ive only had 1 of the no.2s, but i liked it just as much. I think i prefer the Corona Gorda for a Juan Lopez, but the no.2 is a great change.

This is one I have smoked a fair number of '04 and '05s. I think it slipped out of sight when I finished a box and put an '04 box down for a rest.

Some folks find it too floral and mild but I like the complexity and distinct flavors.

I must revist this one at the proper opportunity! I also think they are priced reasonably.

Thanks for the review!

» Thanks for the review, fearless leader! I really like the JLS2. It's one of

» my favorite robustos. I consistently prefer it to the Cohiba. However, I

» am always surprised by the flavors that reviewers describe, your review

» included.

»

» I have always found the JLS2 to be a spicy cigar, with an underlying cedar

» and caramel profile, layered with tart citrus. When young, it can pack a

» punch. With a couple of years, it becomes smooth and creamy. If I were a

» JLS2, I would select the PLPC as my "mini me".

»

» Interesting how different palates perceive cigars, eh?

:yes:

No doubt Rob. I love the Sel. 1 and 2.

Some of the best quality cigars I have ever come across are some JL 1's I got from you a long while ago, and more recently some 2's from you as well. For a definite change of pace, unique flavor profile and a cigar you can expect to be enjoyable, grab a Juan Lopez Sel. 1 or 2.