August mystery cigar REVEALED

stevejb

First off thanks to Rob and Lisa for sending out these cigars. I'm not a great reviewer, but I will do my best.

The cigar appeared to be a robusto. Should've compared it to the one's I have in case it was a H4. Oh well. A bit spongy from the trip, but a nice colorado wrapper with a few prominent veins.

Pre-light I sniffed the foot(which I never do) in hopes I could produce a better review. It smelled like tobacco.:-D Watch out Suckling. I'm gunning for your gig.

When I got it lit I noticed the center of the cigar's ash was a pale white. Looked like Judge Smaills' hair. The rest of the ash was a solid dark grey. Throughout the time I smoked it, the middle stayed white.

Initally I was hit with a fairly strong amount of pepper and a nicotine kick. Very tasty. I'm thinking Partagas or Bolivar. After maybe 8 draws it began to mellow a bit and I'm pretty sure I could taste licorice and black cherry along with the pepper. Still very tasty. The draw was perfect and the cigar burned dead even. A little past the 1/2 way point it got very spicy again. I was really enjoying the smoke. Can't say I detected any other flavors, but the cigar went well with the Dos Equis I was drinking.

About 1/4 of the cigar was left when it began to turn sour. Very bitter, almost sulfuric. I let the cigar rest for a few minutes hoping that maybe I was smoking it too fast causing it to overheat and create the bitter flavors. No such luck.

Overall I really liked this young cigar. Lots of good flavors and I'd feel very secure in buying more of these with the idea that over the years they'd improve to an amazing smoke.

I narrowed my guess down to SD4, RASS, and based off Rob's recent love affair, the JL 2. I haven't smoked many new robustos so I'll take a stab and go with SD4.

Thanks again to Rob and Lisa for allowing me to participate in this blind review.

Robusto in size.

Very nice construction, firm but not too heavy.

The wrapper was medium tan in color, somewhat mottled, with a light sheen.

Burn was near perfect until the end, where it became a bit ragged.

Started out lightly sweet and spicy. The draw was a bit on the tight side, but

not unbearable, with good smoke volume. The draw eased up to nearly perfect

around half an inch or so in.

The initial flavors quickly gave way to tingly clove, with a light velvet mouthfeel.

A sense of anise, with black pepper on the tip of the tongue. There was also a

nice hint of black raisins. At this point, none of these flavors are at the fore, but

intermingle, and come and go.

A solid inch or so in, toasty tobacco becomes an element, though still, there is

nothing I can call a core flavor. Solidly medium in body.

About a third in, it shows more earthiness, with with some light herbal and

grassy qualities, with a light doughy mouthfeel. A couple of draws bring a

distinct hit of cherry, but this does not linger.

At the halfway point, it becomes more predominantly earthy and fuller in body.

With a third to go, it is deeply earthy, with a clove finish. Not long after this,

it became quite bitter on the tongue, and that's where I left it.

Overall, flavor - wise, it was one of the more complex cigars I've smoked in

recent memory, though again, no single element became dominant.

A nice cigar, though not necessarily a WOW! cigar. My guess (and it is not more

than a guess) would be Ramon Allones Specially Selected, with a bit of age.

My thanks to the Czar crew for the opportunity.

I now look forward to reading the rest of the reviews.

This robusto (4 7/8 by 50) had a very slight box press to it. It felt heavy in the hand; the foot showed the cigar quite packed with tobacco. Wrapper was an evenly speckled, light Colorado color. Pre-light smell of strong, rich tobacco, empty pull was a bit nutty with chocolate. The draw was firm, perfect for me.

I smoked this with water in my backyard this evening. Was going to wait longer, but it felt ready to smoke, and it was.

First 3rd: Started with a blast of strong coffee with cream, and that Ramon Allones thang in spades. Pepper and a few floral notes showed up. The smoke volume was excellent, and the high nicotine level made itself quickly apparent. A slight herbaceous (“grassy” others call it) lingered with a bit of earth. A few notes of rich steak almost, and loads of coffee cover the palate. A bit of bitterness at the back of the throat shows the cigar’s youth. Burn is perfect.

Second 3rd- Dark chocolate flavors show up, followed by an emergence of some caraway. The ash finally drops at just over 2 inches. A very satiating smoke, like eating a very good, filling meal. My first purge reveals the roundness of flavors, the synthesis combining the coffee, chocolate, and “grassy” caraway mix of flavors that is uniquely RA to me.

Final 3rd- More savory flavors, with a soft texture to the smoke. Dark chocolate dominates the rest. Delicious to the end, with bitterness creeping in the last two inches. Bittersweet as I put it down just under that length, the first time sweetness really showed at all. Leisurely smoking time of 70 minutes.

A somber, brooding, yet vibrant smoke. A Full-bodied, full-flavored young RASS with excellent depth of flavor. A wonderful example of a recent one, I am assuming late 2005 or early 2006. I hope that my recently purchased ones are this good.

I can only imagine how well my particular cigar would have with a few more years of age, as my RASS have really shone with age. I would give it a 92. The best young RASS I have had to date.

Thanks much for allowing me to participate in this.

-Matt

Well, I pulled this puppy out of the igloodor, after a rest of two days, and sat on the front porch to watch my youngest daughter mow the lawn for the first time. I drank water, but wanted coffee. A small price to pay.

This robusto was box pressed, having thin veins slightly darker in color than the colorado wrapper. It had suffered insult during transport and the cap was split. The foot smelled of barnyard bliss and evoked a pavlovian response. I started to drool.

A snip of the triple-cap yielded a very easy prelight draw tasting of rich tobacco. The cigar lit easily and well.

Wood, light wood, blooms during the first third. With it comes light dusty, buttery, and intermittent nutty flavors. The cigar continues to draw easily, but develops a slight irregular burn.

Wood continues to be the core in the second third. Leather surfaces, as well as hints of pepper and clove. The ash looks like concentric circles of gray-black. I purge and correct the burn at about the halfway point.

Bitter chocolate floats in and out of the final third, but the core is still wood. It is put to rest at about 2 inches from the head.

Overall, a great smoking experience. Woody flavors are the hallmark of this medium bodied stick, as is the easy draw that produces volumes of smoke. I’m guessing it’s a Juan Lopez #2.

Thanks for the opportunity Rob.

Nice review Steve. I think we need more reviews that reference Caddyshack characters, and Judge Smails is, by far, the greatest. I could imagine, "This cigar produced more smoke than when Porterhouse put Smailsie's golf shoes into the grinder." Or, "The wrapper on this cigar looked as if Carl Spackler had fished it out of the pool along with the Babyruth candybar." :-D

» Nice review Steve. I think we need more reviews that reference Caddyshack

» characters, and Judge Smails is, by far, the greatest. I could imagine,

» "This cigar produced more smoke than when Porterhouse put Smailsie's golf

» shoes into the grinder." Or, "The wrapper on this cigar looked as if Carl

» Spackler had fished it out of the pool along with the Babyruth candybar."

» :-D

Thanks. I'll try to throw in good movie references whenever possible.

After a 26 degee celcius day on the 2nd day of spring, I decided to light this baby up. A dark tan wrapper that was slightly veiny awaited me. Overall a very well presented robusto that clipped extremely well.

Pre-light draw was perfect and a pre light aroma of dark chocolate came through.

The first third had a warm chocolate taste after lighting up, but this then moved towards a nutmeg aroma. The ash was forming nicely and a great draw made this one to kick back and watch the stars with.

The second third brought on a flavour burst that reminded me of breakfast at Nana's when I was a young whipper snapper: Raisin Toast! Spice, raisins and cinnamons flavors were very evident. The excellent draw continued whilst the ash remained flawless.

The final third saw the spice taste muted whilst the cinnamon was still evident.

Overall a great smoke, perfect ash and good smoke volume. The cigar did not need any extra attention from my ligheter after I lit it to get it going.

no idea what marca but a strong 93 for me.

Obrigado, Gracias, Thanks!

these are some very good reviews of the test cigar, I look forward to finding out what it really is. I have my suspensions, yet I'll wait until the release of the information. It sounds wonderful with the black pepper, fruity (raisins), floral complexities mentioned in nearly every review.

I agree, Chuck. These are some outstanding reviews. And yes, I suspect the identity, too. If they're what we think they are, sounds like at least a box is in order, eh?

What I find odd is the division in guesses between JL#2 and RASS. I can't imagine two more different cigars.

A very medium colored but oily sheen Robusto. Only had 1 day of it to sit, but since it came Fed Ex with order, felt it was long enough.

Pre light draw was i litlle bit more than tight.

Judgeing by apperance alone, I thought JL #2. Too dark for the RASS. not the pre light flavor of the HDM Epic #1 .

A bit hard to get tru flavor for my eyes were popping out trying to get a good volume of smoke out of it.

FOr the amount that I did taste, tastes of cherrylisious and earthy.

Didnt open up till the last inch, but by then it already burned 2 layers of skin of my upper lip :( So it was the last cigar of the day I was albe to smoke.

If it had addequit time to adjust, I believe their wouldnt be any problems with it.

My educated guess would be Juan Lopez #2. I cant rate it for giveing it a number value wouldnt be fair for others to think it wouldnt be a good cigar.

Thanx CZAR

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

» .....Smithy picked the cigars.....:lookaround:

»

»

» You know....NO ONE has picked the cigar so far ;-)

Hmm.. Well if "NO ONE" = no correct guess, then I guess HdM #2 and if "NO ONE" = more than one response is correct, then I'll stand with my original answer. That' s my story... and I'm sticking to it! :-D

» .....Smithy picked the cigars.....:lookaround:

»

»

» You know....NO ONE has picked the cigar so far ;-)

Hmmmm---I am very surprised. Musta been a Bolivar RC then. It was slightly box pressed, so it could only have been a RASS, RC or RyJ Short churchill, right?

Wierd. Mine tasted very much like the RASS I just had 3 days earlier. And I found very little earth in it.

» » .....Smithy picked the cigars.....:lookaround:

» »

» »

» » You know....NO ONE has picked the cigar so far ;-)

»

» Hmmmm---I am very surprised. Musta been a Bolivar RC then. It was

» slightly box pressed, so it could only have been a RASS, RC or RyJ Short

» churchill, right?

»

» Wierd. Mine tasted very much like the RASS I just had 3 days earlier.

» And I found very little earth in it.

As soon as I get back from San Antonio I will sit down and post my thoughts (Wed./Thurs. night);-)

To begin I really loved this cigar and thank our hosts for the opportunity. The cigar arrived slightly damaged at the foot by it long trip with a small crack. When I opened the bag the aroma was amrvelous with the strong earthy barnyard aroma I like when opening a new box.

The cigar appeared to be a 50 gauage and about 124 mm long, a robusto. Comparing it to others handy it sized well matching a CoRo and a RASS. The colors were different. This one was a chocolate brown, mottled with oil and a light sheen. I saw only a few veins. A handsome cigar.

It cut easily and the pre-light draw was earthy and promising. The cigar lit easily and held a perfect burn all the way down to my burnt fingers. The ash was dark grey and held to well over an inch before a tap moved it.

First draw was spicy with a clear sweetness that held throughout. I tasted leather and earth. The sweetness stayed on a grew stronger. Not fruity but tasty. The second and last third were a smooth medium smoke that finished up with a hint of chocolate. I smoked it to the nub and looked for more.

My best guess is a Hoyo De Monterey Epicure #2 with some age.

Thanks to Rob, Lisa and Smithy for the chance to try this cigar! I burned it tonight during the first half of the Steelers - Fins game on an empty stomach with a Fat Tire Amber Ale.

The cigar looked to be a Robusto or Hermoso #4, with a beautiful, oily colorado wrapper. It was firm and heavy with just the right feel. Carefully clipping the cap revealed a trademark "dimple" and a nearly perfect, if slightly tight draw. The cigar had a nice earthy barnyard aroma and upon lighting gave off copious amounts of thick smoke.

Right from the start, the dominant flavor was grassy/herbaceous over woody, creamy tobacco with a hint of pepper and raisin in the background. A solid medium bodied smoke. As it burned on, the woody and grassy flavor began to fade while the fruit and pepper picked up. The burn was a bit ragged, but self corrected without a retouch.

In the second half (of the cigar, not the game) the woody and grassy flavors had all but disappeared and were replaced by nice toasty, creamy tobacco with hazel nuts, plenty of pepper and some citrus with the raisin still in the background. With about an inch and a half left, it began to get a little bitter, and since the brat's were done, I let it go.

Like Colt45 said, not really a "WOW" smoke, but very enjoyable. If I had to give it a numerical score, I'd say 87. Guessing is difficult, at first I thought it was a JL #2, but the second half changed my mind to RyJ Ex #4 and that's my guess. I've not yet tried the Short Churchill, could it be? :confused:

I look forward to hearing what this cigar was and again, thanks for letting me participate!

Well Well Well....what a mixed bag of great reviews :ok:

I really wanted to showcase a 2006 offering and one which is readily available and affordable.

As many of you know, I am a huge fan of 2006 and believe it is the finest year since 1998. The cigars are balanced and have tremendous depth of flavour and complexity. How often have we been able to say that over the past 7 years? Time and time again it has been a case to advise to smoke them young or put them away for 2 years. Hopefully....fingers crossed....those days are gone.

I would add my own review here....but the efforts posted are of such high quality that there is no need.

The cigar in question was a Bolivar Royal Corona....coded April 06 :-D

» The cigar in question was a Bolivar Royal Corona....coded April 06

» :-D

Wow! Other than the earthy smell before lighting, I NEVER would have guessed Bolivar. :confused: I've never much liked the Boli RC's before but I guess I'll look into these 06's. Very interesting flavors.