H. Upmann Mag 46 - May 05

H. Upmann Mag 46 - May 05

I'm not that good at writing reviews but I enjoyed this stick and I had some freetime so I figured I would write a review about it. The construction was fine for the most part. To be fair, I chose the ugliest one out of the box. This one happened to also have a crack by the foot. You can see the sample and the crack in the picture below.

Mag46Resized.jpg

Though not the most aesthetically pleasing stick, it was certainly not ugly. Also, the burn was fine. The draw was a touch on the easy side but well within acceptable limits. I lit the cigar with my torch lighter and took a draw. The initial draw did not yield much flavor but the flavors started coming through after a couple more draws. At first, I mostly tasted tobacco with a dash of honey and white pepper. After about half an inch, the legendary Mag 46 coffee taste finally made its appearance. The stick made me imagine a cup of creamed coffee with a roll of honey glazed tobacco leaf used as a stirring rod, perhaps with some roasted nuts drifting on top. I don't know about other people but for me, the creamy coffee and honey tastes are the most memorable about the Mag 46. :hungry:

Towards the middle, the flavors changed from a creamy coffee to a darker coffee. I also started to taste a hint of lemon. By the 2/3 point, the stick was starting to get stronger. Soon after that, the Mag started getting tanic and bitter. I decided that I had received plenty of enjoyment from the stick and let it rest in peace.

By now, you should be wondering why you wasted your time reading this far down. :confused::lol2: Anywho... overall, I am very pleased with how these are turning out. When I first received them, I was less than impressed. Now they're really starting to pull it together. No doubt these will get even better with additional age. Extra age should round out a few rough edges and really make these shine. For now, I give it a 90 (A-).

Good Review. Same flavors I got from the two I have tried. Smoked my first one with morning cofee before work. Second one neck deep in a swimming pool with cigar in one hand and beer in the other. The latter cigar seemed much more enjoyable for some reason. :-D

» H. Upmann Mag 46 - May 05

»

Thanks for the great review. Great ti get a picture with the review. I have a few left from a AVH MAY 05 box. It has been a while since I have had one. I think it is time to burn one again.:lol3:

» overall, I am very pleased with how these are turning out.

» When I first received them, I was less than impressed.

» Now they're really starting to pull it together. No doubt these

» will get even better with additional age.

On of my faves - thanks for the review.

» nice review. i am pleased that lisa sends me the aged 1996 boxes she keeps

» hidden back.

»

»

»

» WHAT? she doesn't do that for yall, too?

Aren't those the sticks they caught KG licking like candy canes during a, shall

we say, less than lucid moment?

Thanks for the review. This is one of my new favorites. I was always a fan of Sir Winnies and then got destroyed by a box of 01 Monarchs. The Mag 46 is aging well and good even after a year.

Aren't those the sticks they caught KG licking like candy canes during a, shall we say, less than lucid moment?

I thought we were going to leave "tales from the bath-house" out of the forum. Let's just leave it at "The Mag sucks, big-time!" ;-)

these were one of those smokes that for some inexplicable reason, snuck beneath the radar and i had never paid much attention. then picked up a few from rob about 18 months ago and completely underwhelmed. put the rest aside and forgot them. found them recently and was so impressed - can't believe the difference that even that short time has made - that jumped in for a full cabinet. and rob, i will be paying for it very soon.

i'm running low on my PSS2's and, granted the flavour differences, are hoping that these will fill the void in 12 months.