2006 Diplomaticos No. 2

shrink

Just for starters, I love the look of this pyramide. It is wider-bodied than most others, which contibutes to a full and easy draw. The wrapper is a rustic reddish brown, slightly rough to the touch. The pre-light aromas were mild, with not much barnyard or spice.

It lit easily, burned cleanly and produced plenty of thick, creamy smoke throughout an hour and a half. I have found the Dip #2 to be a very well-constructed cigar, and one that needs little attention, apart from the occasional long draw. The first few mouthfuls were surprisingly strong and peppery, and loaded with flavors of cedar and a rich paprika-like spiciness. There were notes of wood, cocoa and cinnamon, and a refreshing citrus tang on the finish. Diplo's have a unique flavor profile, distinct from Montecristos, Upmanns and other similar vitolas. While they are definitely milder, they are quite rich and flavorful, and have their own signature "twang". In fact, I prefer them to the Monte No. 2.

As the cigar moved into mid-game, it mellowed considerably, showing a predominantly woody core, with mild spices and citrus. At this point, there was just a hint of sweetness. This part of the cigar was "smooth sailing". The final third geared up to a stronger, satisfying finale. The woodiness, citrus and "paprika" spices intensified, which left a toasty, Bar-B-Q-like flavor lingering on the tongue. It was rich and delicious to just past the band. There was no youthful bitterness.

I was very impressed by how mature and approachable the big Dip was with just a few months in the box. Although it would benefit from age, there is no doubt that it is ready to rock n' roll. I have never encountered another pyramide that was this tasty, this young. Not the Monte, and certainly not the Partagas, which needs at least a year.

Edit: BTW, I recently smoked the last Dip #2 from a batch of ENE05. The two were very similar in flavor, although the '06 had a more rousing, peppery opening and less citrus on the finish. Given a choice of boxes, I'd take the '06's, because of their somewhat greater strength, better balance, and slightly richer flavor.

"Step right up, folks. No waiting. Get 'em while they're fresh!"

Great review!:ok:

I have about 10 Dip No. 2s from a split I did last summer. I think they are ENE or FEB 05...can't remember. Have not touched them yet. Sounds like I might just have to. Have smoked some from 2001 and they were very nice. Milder than a Monte No. 2, but somehow just as flavorful.

Thanks for the review.

I now know what I'll be smoking tonight. I got two Dip 2s (Nov 00) from the recent aged singles special. I've yet to try them, or any other Dip for that matter. The two I have look so dark, I've put off trying them 'til now. After you're review, I can't wait. I hope mine is close to yours in flavor.

cigardawg: I have about 10 Dip No. 2s from a split I did last summer. I think they are ENE or FEB 05...can't remember.

Hey, dawg! I just had my last ENE05 Dip #2 a few weeks ago. It was very similar to the '06 in flavor. However, it had a much less peppery opening gambit, but more citrus on the finish. If I had to choose between a box of one or the other, I'd go with the '06's. More Oomph, better balance, a little more flavor, probably better aging potential.

Great rewiew Shrink:clap:

Ihave forwarded your review to a friend in Habanos s.a. He will be thrilled to hear of your 06 experience. No doubt he will pass it on to others as an example of what they are trying to achieve

1. Quality Construction

2. Marque and vitola integrity (Dip 2 flavour profile).

3. Flavour complexity.

4. Accessible cigars right from the start which reinforces their decision to use 3 year old Ligero, 2 year old Seco, 1 year old Volado

Always excellent reviews from Bob! :ok:

Rob, definitely let Habanos SA now that us lovers of the leaf have really noticed the step-up in quality that's been happening over the last year or so.

From recent vintages, I've had very few construction issues and I've noticed a lot of vitolas have little to no sick period. The rumors I hear are that they're beginning to age the leaf longer before rolling than was their habit in the past. Haven't had many '06s, but I've had nothing but good experience from the '05 productions.

If Paul McCartney smoked cigars, he'd have to admit it's getting better...getting better all the time!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, ladies and gentlemen...

As good as the young '06 Diplomaticos No. 2 are, the '05 No. 1's are even better. By that I mean that a year in the box has further smoothed the smoke, and brought wonderful complex "paprika" spices and distinct sweet orange citrus notes. This is what I refer to as a "dessert" cigar, in the mold of a Hoyo de Dieux or Cohiba Lancero. Review to follow.

» Well, ladies and gentlemen...

»

» As good as the young '06 Diplomaticos No. 2 are, the '05 No. 1's are

» even better. By that I mean that a year in the box has further

» smoothed the smoke, and brought wonderful complex "paprika" spices and

» distinct sweet orange citrus notes. This is what I refer to as a "dessert"

» cigar, in the mold of a Hoyo de Dieux or Cohiba Lancero. Review to follow.

Thanks for the great reviews, Bob. I've not tried anything from Diplomaticos lately but will try to get a hold of a few for tasting. :-)

Wilkey

• 2 weeks later...

» good review.

»

» but you are wrong. dip2's suck and are NOT good. hell, the entire

» diplomaticos marque is bad. do not buy them.

»

»

» :-| lol. ;-)

Never know when you guys are just joking??? :-|

:-D :-D :-D