Partagas Serie P2

This was undoubtedly the star of our Havana tour. There were strong, and ultimately true, rumours it would be released at the Festival’s Gala dinner. Our first clue, though apparently others knew earlier (Rob, what happened to those sources of yours?), was on a tour of the R & J factory when we saw something being shuffled off into a corner. We were gobsmacked by just how good these looked and asked our local mates downstairs. They had no idea. Shortly after, we dropped by again and had a chance to try them. They really are superstars and if the rating seems low, it is only because I think that they have so much improvement left in them. In fact, I cannot think of any other cigar I have ever tried that I felt had so much improvement in it, Cohiba LE DCs and Sublimes included. I’m a big Partagas fan so this was really exciting for me, and no doubt many of us.

Everyone at the dinner received a superb small varnished box of three (plus one to smoke there, as well). I won’t be touching mine for as long as I can hold off. Originally, I was told that these would only be released in boxes of 10 but it seems certain that they will be in 25s as well. They are not LE so, even though there were also stories of only 5,000 boxes produced (I think that they might be confusing the Partagas Reserva D4s), one assumes that they will be reasonably readily available down the track, though unlikely to be cheap.

They are beautifully presented, not too brown, almost like a not too dark honey. Not too oily. The suggestion is that the Partagas cigars of the last decade have been a little milder than they used to be. This full-flavoured effort might be hinting back towards the old days. Plenty of pepper and spice, lots of dark chocolate and a citrus note that persists. A sign of top wine is a lasting aftertaste and this is similar. It is an undoubtedly powerful cigar but majestically balanced. The burn was consistent and slow and the cigar left a buzz for what seemed ages. Draw was firm but fine. Only ‘problem’ is that at the moment, it really deserves time to settle and in a few years, will be absolutely brilliant. 94.

• 1 month later...

With all the hype preceding its release, it was impossible to approach this cigar objectively, or patiently. So I fired one up, right off the truck. My initial impressions:

A true, fully tapered pyramide, impressive in size and appearance, with satisfying heft in the hand. There was just enough roughness and inconsistency in construction to remind you that this is a "traditional" Partagas, not just another "du jour" boutique cigar. The wrapper was a deep, rustic brown, but not oily in appearance. It was a little slow to ignite.

Initial draws were surprisingly mild, not at all spicy, but with classic Partagas flavors. The cigar developed nicely, and by the last third was revealing enticing flavors of wood, earth and finally, the hoped-for pepper and spice. Somewhat disappointing, but there was not much citrus or "twang" yet in this freshie. I found myself comparing it to a young Lusi at times, and as I nubbed it, more like a PSD4. It was not an intense, in-your-face cigar like the 898V. The P2 had a very savory and long-lasting finish, which left no doubt about its depth and quality. I think this cigar has "legs" - some humidor time will surely reveal greater complexity. After sampling one, I ordered another box! A potential classic in the making!

First run of 10's were in last week and out same day. Very small initialallocation. Next allocation are here in 10 days and will be in 25's.

Drop Lise or myself a line if you would like some set aside.

There have been some interesting reviews of the P2...some glowing and some not so glowing. Early days yet but I have liked what I have seen.

ive had the pleasure of smoking a few this past weekend, ive found that the ones ive tried from different venders actually tased quite different...one being better then the other tastewise...go figure?

id say there a cross between a partagas pyrimid and d4...not having the full strengh of the d4 but stronger then a pyrimid...typical partagas flavor which i love, for the price i'd say a very well worth it cigar to buy a box for now and one too age...i think they will age very well.

» First run of 10's were in last week and out same day. Very small

» initialallocation. Next allocation are here in 10 days and will be in

» 25's.

» Drop Lise or myself a line if you would like some set aside.

»

» There have been some interesting reviews of the P2...some glowing and some

» not so glowing. Early days yet but I have liked what I have seen.

Rob, I requested Lisa to reserve me a box. Thanks.

» First run of 10's were in last week and out same day. Very small

» initialallocation. Next allocation are here in 10 days and will be in

» 25's.

» Drop Lise or myself a line if you would like some set aside.

»

» There have been some interesting reviews of the P2...some glowing and some

» not so glowing. Early days yet but I have liked what I have seen.

Rob, I believe I reserved a box with you through email. :-)

» ive had the pleasure of smoking a few this past weekend, ive found that the

» ones ive tried from different venders actually tased quite different...one

» being better then the other tastewise...go figure?

» id say there a cross between a partagas pyrimid and d4...not having the

» full strengh of the d4 but stronger then a pyrimid...typical partagas

» flavor which i love, for the price i'd say a very well worth it cigar to

» buy a box for now and one too age...i think they will age very well.

Tim opened up his home to us last saturday for a local HERF.We were able to sample P2's with a boxcode of FIM FEB05. I found that of the P2's I've had, these tasted far superior than the box with code SVF FEB05. In a few more days, I'm gonna try the ENE FEB05 ones.

It's interesting to see the differences in the same cigar produced at different factories.

Ken, do you remember the box dates of the cigars you saw in the RyJ factory? I'm pretty sure SVF is Partagas. I wonder what ENE and FIM are. TIA

Dino

Dean,

I was with Ken in Havana and saw the Partagas P2's being made in the R&J factory, the Partagas Factory and the Cohiba Factory from

memory. I have tried numerous from he R&J Factory and from the Partagas Factory and can not discern a difference.

I wil try and source the current R&J & partagas factory codes for you.

inconsistency of flavour is going tobe at it's highest at this stage of the cigars development. 12 months will be the real gauge.

» Ken, do you remember the box dates of the cigars you saw in the RyJ

» factory? I'm pretty sure SVF is Partagas. I wonder what ENE and FIM are.

» TIA

»

» Dino

sorry - been off air for a few days. when we saw them first at r and j, they were being rolled and we were curious but we were moved on fairly quickly. so no idea there. and we tried a few but they were given to us. a clue may be if they marked the small (really nice varnished gift) boxes of three that they gave us at the dinner but mine is away in deep storage (read, where i can't get my hands on them without calling up and making the trip to storage etc etc, so that hopefully they and a few others can rest in peace for a few years but some of the other guys might have their boxes closer and could check. rob? otherwise, will try and check next time i am there. same reason i have not yet answered that earlier question re the latest slr dc's.

Guest crossbow

» Tim opened up his home to us last saturday for a local HERF.We were able

» to sample P2's with a boxcode of FIM FEB05. I found that of the P2's I've

» had, these tasted far superior than the box with code SVF FEB05. In a few

» more days, I'm gonna try the ENE FEB05 ones.

»

» It's interesting to see the differences in the same cigar produced at

» different factories.

»

» Ken, do you remember the box dates of the cigars you saw in the RyJ

» factory? I'm pretty sure SVF is Partagas. I wonder what ENE and FIM are.

» TIA

»

» Dino

Yes Rob, I was part of that mob at Tim's house. Yesterday, I finally got to sample the Feb 05 boxcode. Needless to say, that despite the difference in taste. Both P2s from both box codes were excellent cigars with the characteristic Partagas "In-your-face" flavour, IMHO.

Love the draw on both cigars too!

By the way, those Monte 5s Dino got for me from Lisa are tasting well.

Thank you.