It is still relatively early days of 06 (in cigar terms) but how do you think it compares to 2005 (which I believe was the best year since 1997).

What 2006 have you had...and what are your thoughts (quality, flavour and wrapper comment).

I will post my thoughts next week.

I have not smoked a 2006 yet. The majority of the 2005's that I have smoked were nice, yet not as complex as older versions, but chalk that up to age. Considering the humidor time, I would say the 2005's are much better younger than any previous years production given the same amount of time. With your report about the aged Ligero, Seco and Volado, it makes a big difference in the over all flavor profile in terms of age. Should be interesting times in the future considering aging cigars.

The only cigars that I have from both 2005 and 2006 are the ERDM Choix Supreme and the BBF. In both cases, the 2006 seem to be better as far as construction and taste. I've only had 2 of the '06 BBF and 5 or so from the CS. The Choix Supreme is incredibly good...better than any I've had from previous years. While the BBF may be a little too young, the construction is just incredible. Very dense, but perfect draw. I hope the rest will be the same.

No '06's yet, but I have sampled from the following '05 boxes, although they're all put down for aging (with the exception of the Partagas D4 and P2). My impressions:

Montecristo No. 2: pretty good flavor potential, as good or better than the '04s. construction so far has been problem-free.

Partagas P2: simply outstanding, and getting better with age. I love everything about this cigar.

Punch RS 11: excellent potential, strong and tangy with classic Punch flavors. the one I tried was well-made and drew fine.

Ramon Allones Gigante: good looking DC, wonderful flavor for a year-old smoke. can't wait for another year to smoke 'em!

Romeo Churchills AT: they look good, but only fair flavors now, hope they'll improve. the only disappointment from '05 so far.

Partagas SD No. 4: pretty good now, but not quite as peppery/spicy as '04. maybe because of the aged filler?

Bolivar Petit Coronas: beautiful,, with outstanding flavor potential, I'm gonna wait for a year or two.

Juan Lopez No. 2: the best JL I've ever seen, hands down. Incredible flavors, really spicy, yum. Gonna let 'em age at least another year.

I have not yet done any 05 v 06 cross tasting but will probably do so in the coming months.

I've been pretty impressed with the 05s in general with the exception of the BBFs and SCdLH.

Wilkey

Right off the cusp I would compare my Nov 05 Reyes to the ABR 06 Reyes and say the 05s are a little more refined and the 06s seem fresher and more jubilantly brash. In 8 months they may be right there on a pedestal with the Nov 05s.

I am sure the quality will just keep getting better in 2006. I can't remember where I read it but I remember an interview with an Habanos SA dude saying that 2004 & 2005 were the best years in a very long time for raw materials. So that would explain why recent production has been so good. And will continue to be so good.

Just rcvd a box of Monte 2 (GSO FEB06).

Took a nice long whiff of the box and was not greeted by that beautiful smell of top tobacco but rather a somewhat bitter/harsh and faintly amonia like aroma coming off the box...

These are going away till at least Christmas where I'll pull them out of the humi and see what 5 more months of aging brings. I wouldn't consider lighting one of these up yet...

The reason for re-ordering the Monte 2s is that the 2 boxes of AGO 04 and FEB 05 are ALL GONE ---They were DELICIOUS and signalled to me that after some lack-luster years - the Monte 2 came back BIG in late 04 and 2005.

» 06's are smoking great most of them .I hope aging Cubans are a thing of the

» past but will see as the year goes by.

I seriosly doubt this will ever happen. Too many of the cigar smokers world wide have experienced the benefits of aging Habanos. While with the changes in younger Habanos being more approachable when younger, the quality and complexity of an aged Habanos will always be a huge benefit to the accomplished Habanos smokers.

While I've bought some 05s & a couple boxes from 06, most of my smoking supply is from 98-03. The exceptions are the Partagas P2 and RA Eminencias, both of which have been excellent.

They should be ready to smoke out of the box new and get better with age.

And i think the past changes in Cuba in the last year is showing this with some of there cigars.

It's good to see they are getting up to date like non Cuban companies and showing a more consistent product.

Just like Rob said from his last trip::

ALL cigars being rolled today are using three year old Ligero, two year old Seco and one year old Volado in their fillers. This is why cigars are smoking better earlier than previously. I personally inspected the markings of bales being used in the factories to verify this.

Juan Lopez No. 2: the best JL I've ever seen, hands down. Incredible flavors, really spicy, yum. Gonna let 'em age at least another year.

Dead on Shrink. There is no more beautiful cigar being rolled today than the Juan Lopez Seleccion No 1 or No 2.

» Juan Lopez No. 2: the best JL I've ever seen, hands down. Incredible

» flavors, really spicy, yum. Gonna let 'em age at least another year.

»

» Dead on Shrink. There is no more beautiful cigar being rolled today than

» the Juan Lopez Seleccion No 1 or No 2.

Ok you two may have sold me on the JL 2 when I order in a few weeks. Anything on 06 Boli cj's or Party shorts?