Montecristo Petit Edmundo:New

The new Montecristo Petit Edmundo is scheduled to be launched by the end of the year. (likely 2007 if past launching performance is anything to go by :lol: ....) Size is 52 x 102 (ring gauge same as Edmundo & length the same as Partagas Shorts)

* Hoyo Petit Robusto 50 x 102

* Montecristo Edmundo 52 x 135

» The new Montecristo Petit Edmundo is scheduled to be launched by the end

» of the year.

»

» Sound to me like less of the same.

:lol2: I haven't been a fan of the Hoyo De Monterrey Petit Robusto as I have found it to be bland. On Ken's urging (he loves the Edmundo) I recently tried one again and concur that it is one of the most improved Habanos of all.

If they can maintain the improvement and put it in a shorter platform then they may have a winner. Time will tell.

» » The new Montecristo Petit Edmundo is scheduled to be launched by the

» end

» » of the year.

» »

» » Sound to me like less of the same.

»

» :lol2: I haven't been a fan of the Hoyo De Monterrey Petit Robusto as I

» have found it to be bland. On Ken's urging (he loves the Edmundo) I

» recently tried one again and concur that it is one of the most improved

» Habanos of all.

i do love them.i knew that eventually you'd see the light.

but what i find utterly bizarre is that they are more expensive, in cuba, than the monte 2's.

actually, have not had one for a while. will change that.

This is a new I really want to try.

The HdM petit robusto is a nice size cigar, but the ones I've smoked have been kind of flat and I son't really think they'll improve much with age...:no: look fwd for the petit edmundo

Personally, I think that a Petit Edmundo would be a waste of my time. There again, another large ring cigar that is somewhat a Mini-Me of another stick. While I have enjoyed the Edmundo recently, it is a fact that the initial release was less than approachable because it was bland, and basically tasteless, took them nearly 1.5 years to develop into a cigar that was worth smoking. Now they want to go forward with another big fatty. Yawn, who cares?

Where is the Artistry? Where is the Craftsmanship? Where is the taste and complexity? Just my not too humble opinion, but it certainly looks as if Altadis is gearing up to open up some new markets that have been unavailable to Cuban cigars for the past 45+ years. With the mind set of catering to what this Market group has a history of buying preference toward, Large Ring cigars, Maduro Wrappers etc. Hell, if they wanted to bring out a new Montecristo, why not something like a Monte du Connaisseur No.3? A 35 or a 38 ring cigar, where the craftsmanship, artistry, taste and complexity could be obtained from the consumer and keeping in the classical style of a puro.

Frankly a Petit Edmundo sounds boring to me.

Guest boss hogg

Why don't they focus on improving their existing stuff, quality control, consistency, etc, instead of coming out with a new EL (only to be repeated 5 years later), trendy vitola du jour, etc???

Seriously, I was looking at the Swiss Habanos importer's price list the other day and it is ridiculous how many SKUs are on there. How can they possibly manage all of these marques and vitolas?

Focus on doing a few things exceptionally well, and Altadis will get their return on investment in Habanos.

I personally think this size is flawed. I bought a couple boxes of the Hoyo PR's and actually thought the flavor was pretty great, kind of an amped up Epi. However each one starts souring about halfway, making it a twenty minute smoke, really. And I smoke SLOW, robustos around an hour, etc.

I think the tobacco was high quality, just stuffed ino a bad idea of a vitola, IMO. Too short and too wide. I'd rather smoke a short.

When the embargo is over, Americans will not need to be "entranced by the familiar" to try Cuban cigars. They will smoke what is available and learn to appreciate what exists. I hope by the time that comes that Altadis has not significantly altered their stable in order to placate a market that is already sheeplike.

» When the embargo is over, Americans will not need to be "entranced by the

» familiar" to try Cuban cigars. They will smoke what is available and

» learn to appreciate what exists. I hope by the time that comes that

» Altadis has not significantly altered their stable in order to placate a

» market that is already sheeplike.

Unfortunately, I think that in general, with many things (not just cigars), the

general public are not given enough credit - to make decisions on their own.

Produce a great product, they will come.

The market will determine what works. No company likes to lose money. Altadis is faced with the reality that they cannot "spin" a product. It has to stand up or it will be deleted. Unlike the US, Tobacco advertising is banned in almost every other part of the premium cigar world. Unless a new release is supported by bread and butter buyers....it will fail and it will be removed.

I agree with greenpimp.

I like the Hdm PR when I don't have enough time to dedicate to a great smoke.

The quality of tobacco is just great and sometimes I just don't have time to smoke a cannon since I'm a farmacist.

For what concernes the Edmundo I had the chance to bring the first box of Edmundo to Italy in order to obtain the approval from Italian Monopoli in 2004 and at that time I didn't like those sticks.

Than, a copule of days ago I've tasted them again and i found a huge surprise: they were another kind of cigars.

IMHO I think they need to be aged at least a couple of years.

pimp and chuck make very good points.

personally, i do not see the "need" for this vitola - especially in the montecristo marque. there are often times when a "need" gets filled - good examples were the need for a torpedo vitola in the partagas and ra marques - needs that have been filled very well. a need that i would like to see filled would be a minuto or mareva in robaina.

candidly, i enjoyed the hdm petite robusto at first release. although the flavor was not spot on or consistent, i appreciated the vitola size. later, however, i found myself wanting more length at that ring guage or wanting less ring guage at that length. now, the edmundo i still enjoy, as at first release, especially with the better flavor of recent offerings. the size is unique and, imo, a good balance between similar vitolas.

a petite edmundo, however? i don't see the need, and i don't believe this is a cigar that will prove itself out over time. now i could be wrong and it could taste like a million bucks, but this to me seems too "gimmicky" and a desire by the powers at be to release SOMETHING new in the regular production of the major marques. it would be different if the edmundo was as beloved so as to pull a "petite edmundo" on its coattails (as with the ryj churchill and short churchill), but i don't see it.