How F***ed are Colibri Lighters?

Has ANYONEhad a good one that has lasted more than two years?

Seriously...please let me know. And as for repairing them...could they be designed ANY Worse!!!!!!! Crap access.

Who is in charge of Colibri these days....I am assuming Prometheus as it is the only other lighter which you pay so much for but which delivers sweet bugger nothing.

Just venting :angry:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

» Has ANYONEhad a good one that has lasted more than two years?

»

» Seriously...please let me know. And as for repairing them...could they be

» designed ANY Worse!!!!!!! Crap access.

»

» Who is in charge of Colibri these days....I am assuming Prometheus as it

» is the only other lighter which you pay so much for but which delivers

» sweet bugger nothing.

»

» Just venting :angry:

Rob, the Colibris are F'd up beyond description. I owned 2 and both were big POS's. One stopped working altogether, and the other one won;t hold the butane; I bought a Blazer torch and have been using it for the last 8 years; LOVE IT.

Mario

I could get you a lighter on ebay if it would cheer the president up..I heard bic's are good, I found one floating in the ocean and apart from the algae, it worked fine

PJ

.:-| :-| :-|

I dunno.....I have several Colibris including the Trifecta, the Edge, and the Beam Sensor, and they all work just fine for me. I even have a couple of the inexpensive Firebird Colibris which also seem to work just fine. I use the Vector quintuple refined butane in all of them and never have a problem.

My friend however just bought a Colibri Triplex and after only 3 weeks the whole lighter caught on fire in his hand, I couldn't stop laughing :lol2:

I too had one quit working and it has been over a month since it was sent in for repair. I do own a trifecta that has been working well, but the other lasted me about two months before it would not light. That being said, someone should start a thread of good reliable lighters (i am sorry if one exists).

My friend however just bought a Colibri Triplex and after only 3 weeks the whole lighter caught on fire in his hand, I couldn't stop laughing

Dragon

....we are so much alike heh heh heh :)

Can anyone recommend a good lighter at the moment I'm using the gas BBQ lighter............ works a treat but at 8inches long it look a bit a odd, especially when you keep it in your front pocket at social occasions. It looks like I'm in a state of permanent excitement.:-P Mind you after the cigar dinner pics I might keep the lighter in my pocket as a decoy:ok:

I have a Prometheus Liquid and 3 days after I got it, the flame was a gonner. Only sparks!.?.! :angry:

I sent the bastard off for repair and they had me a brand new one in a week. It works so-so. Sometimes the flame doesnt want to get hot, other times it works ok. Damnd butane tank is small too. Needs refilling every 2-3 cigars.

Anyone with a better lighter solution?

» Can anyone recommend a good lighter at the moment I'm using the gas BBQ

» lighter............

Gents,

I was going to post this in the previous discussion of lighters, but now that this has come up…

I found a GREAT torch lighter at Bed, Bath and Beyond over the weekend. It had been surreptitiously placed in a crème brulee kit. With the butane fuel the whole lot came to $24US AND you get four free ash trays with it! (They called them ramekins, whatever that is!?)

Now the torch might not be the thing for State of Origin dinners, but it works great out on the deck!:ok:

Cheers!

» I found a GREAT torch lighter at Bed, Bath and Beyond over the weekend. It

» had been surreptitiously placed in a crème brulee kit. With the butane fuel

» the whole lot came to $24US AND you get four free ash trays with it! (They

» called them ramekins, whatever that is!?)

»

» Now the torch might not be the thing for State of Origin dinners, but it

» works great out on the deck!:ok:

»

» Cheers!

FreeFall, you genius! I will be picking one up today. It looks perfect for keeping out on the porch when a bunch of fellas need a light. Big fuel capacity also. Thanks for the info.:ok:

» » I found a GREAT torch lighter at Bed, Bath and Beyond over the weekend.

» It

» » had been surreptitiously placed in a crème brulee kit. With the butane

» fuel

» » the whole lot came to $24US AND you get four free ash trays with it!

» (They

» » called them ramekins, whatever that is!?)

» »

» » Now the torch might not be the thing for State of Origin dinners, but

» it

» » works great out on the deck!:ok:

» »

» » Cheers!

Haha, my wife has one of those. Fun as all hell to play around with. I'll tell her it's my new cigar lighter now, and thanks for the little ashtrays, she'll love me. :-P At least we have a pretty comfortable couch........

BTW, my Colibri has worked without a hitch for about a year now. My fingers are crossed......

» Has ANYONEhad a good one that has lasted more than two years?

»

» Seriously...please let me know. And as for repairing them...could they be

» designed ANY Worse!!!!!!! Crap access.

»

» Who is in charge of Colibri these days....I am assuming Prometheus as it

» is the only other lighter which you pay so much for but which delivers

» sweet bugger nothing.

»

» Just venting :angry:

I hate these lighters, or a sorry excuse thereof. I have stupidly purchased three. All three crapped out within a year. No more for me.

I have had 3 Colibris...all have been trashed and none lasted more than 6-9 months. (all ranged from $50-100)

I have a Prometheus torch ($70) that someone generously had drop shipped...it leaked all the butane out upon arrival. Sent it back for warranty repair and they tried to charge me $14 for the repair. After explaining that it was brand new and never got to use it even once, they waived the repair fee. I have had it now for 7 months with no problems.

I also have a Trek lighter ($17) w/ dual flames and a lifetime warranty that has been great!!!

El Presidente.... i too have a colibri lighter...and yes its starting to break down on me. its only been less than a year.

i might be trying the solo lighters....i hear they work well..inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty...they say even if you lose it...they'll charge you half the price..or something like that..(not trying to advertise :-P )

www.sololighters.com

From what I can see from the posts, there is a serious issue in locating quality lighters that last (AND Dont cost a truck load). I am not too proud to admit that I bought a cheap $20 butane lighter from a dodgy cigar shop in the suburbs, it doesnt have a brand on it (Sorry) but it has served me well for over a year now. Can't complain, a little hard to fill sometimes but it hasn't missed a trick yet. From reading your replies I am getting the opinion that you don't always get what you pay for.

Ross...

The Porsche Design range from 100-140 USD. Very sweet loooking and has a precision feel to them.

As for Colibri lighter's they are only good until the FIRST refill of Butane. I bought 3 of them and they all sucked. They are only cool from a theoretical and gadget point of view. If the torch works its a great gadget.

My favorite lighter so far has been the Prometheus T-Rex. Lasted me well over 3 years.

The Colibri repair headquarters are right around the corner from my house. I have never had a Colibri worth a damn. The Porsche design lighters are great as well as the Dupont Xtends.

What's weird is that the same people that repair the Colibris are the folks that repair the Duponts but the Duponts are just a better product and hold up much better....

» The Colibri repair headquarters are right around the corner from my house.

» I have never had a Colibri worth a damn. The Porsche design lighters are

» great as well as the Dupont Xtends.

»

» What's weird is that the same people that repair the Colibris are the

» folks that repair the Duponts but the Duponts are just a better product

» and hold up much better....

Isn't the DuPont X-Tend made for Dupont by Colibri??